BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Ridge Line in Clark NX-250?

Can you guys tell me how many of you have a small ridgeline inside your Clark? How do you attach it, without pulling the hooped ends in towards the middle? What do you/can you hang from it? Where is it tied off? Does it affect the lay? Got a new NX-250 and love this thing silly. IMHO one of the best hammocks I've tried. bit of a pain though, not having a place to hang my head-lamp or RL organizer. Thanks gang!!
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    i am playing around with a detachable ridgeline as well, but haven't found the perfect solution jet- more R&D to do.
    My headlamp always goes into the right pocket..
    Also thought about a mini bag I can clip to the 'handle'. (head end)
    yakass.net

Hammock
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Holger,
    Thanks for your response. I have been following your posts about your hammock. They have been very helpful for me.
    I too have used the side pockets on the head end, but find them to be a tad confusing at times, especially in the dark. Let me know what you finally come up with.
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    If the NX-250 is like the NX-200 with the exception of the poles, then there should be small grossgrain loop at the apex of the arch on each side of the opening. If this is on the 250 you can use a section of shockcord to go between these loops to make a non-structural ridgeline. I have one strung this way in my 200 and hang my gloves, headlight, glasses and reading light from it. I recommend the shockcord because it does not put any stress on the hammock when occupied.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    there should be small grossgrain loop at the apex of the arch on each side of the opening. If this is on the 250 you can use a section of shockcord to go between these loops to make a non-structural ridgeline.
    It is, and that is what I am doing in the moment. line, shock cord, little hook to hook it in. But it either hangs to loose for my liking or pulls the hoops towards each other..need to develop sky hooks...
    yakass.net

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    After I posted this I wondered if it would cause the poles to pull towards each other. What if you were to hand sew some grossgrain loops, on the foot end arch, equidistant from the factory loop and then run a line between these three loops? This way the arch supports the weight of the items you are suspending and you have two seperate areas to attach stuff.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    After I posted this I wondered if it would cause the poles to pull towards each other. What if you were to hand sew some grossgrain loops, on the foot end arch, equidistant from the factory loop and then run a line between these three loops? This way the arch supports the weight of the items you are suspending and you have two seperate areas to attach stuff.
    Hey BBG,
    That was kind of my thought. But I have been wondering if since the hammock is gathered at the ends, could you not run a line from where the attachment points of the hammock connect at the whoopies, like in other hammocks?
    2new2hang

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    The attachment point is typically below the arch made by the tent poles, so I do not think that would work. However, you could run a ridge line from the anchor, or from some other midpoint (toggle point?) However, that would have a disadvantage in that the length would not be constant, which would defeat the purpose of the ridgeline in many cases

You could suspend a line between the ends of the fly, but that may cause too much sag on the fly

You could go back to your original idea of using the tie-off loops near the tent poles, and counter-weight them with shock cord going back to the gathered end or something, but now you are approaching too complicated imo.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I have a non-structural ridgeline inside my NX-250. I just used 550 cord (parachute cord) and left a fair bit of slack in it.

In order to get the slack right so it won't affect your "proper pitch/set-up", just attach the cord while you're inside the strung up hammock. That'll keep it from pulling the hammock fabric too tight when it's under tension.

I use mine to hang my headlamp, primarily...but I've also hung extra socks, clipped my baseball cap around it, and used it to keep a book up and out of the way.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    WB Ajust. Webbing
    I use a piece of shock cord, knotted on each end with line locks. I have micro s-biners on each of the grossgrain loops and slip the shock cord in them so that the over-sized line locks keep the shock cord from pulling through the s-biner hole. For set up, I leave enough slack so that shock cord is slightly limp putting no tension on the hoops. When I get in, the shock cord tightens up enough to support my 2QZQ ridgeline organizer. If I want more tension to support more weight of the organizer, I pull some shock cord throught the head-end line lock for more tension - then releasing some of the tension before I get back out. The shock cord supports the organizer, but also does not over-tension the zipper on the weather shield. This works like a champ. I done made friends with my NX-250...it makes ole Grumpyhiker a little less grumpy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast