Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    BillyBob and L.D.

Thanks for the info and measurements, very helpful. That's what I was originally envisioning as far as shape.

So that makes the center (~5.5') section full width (~34") for roomy comfort head to toe. Very nice!
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    This does look bad. If you look at the guy's posts again it really does look like he is employed by GT (well he is on their payroll now anyway). All his gear is GT, he raves about their products, and so on. I have not seen another member whose gear is all from one mfg (except maybe for some of the HH owners). This does make it seem like a total setup by the folks at GT....if it is, they must think we are idiots or something. Either way, I am totally turned off by it.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yes, it should have been mentioned. But the more we look at it, this actually looks really bad.

So, kjroeger28 only joined the forum 11 days ago as of this posting. But, according to the Grand Trunk page, "it was developed and presented to Grand Trunk by an active Hammock Forums member". They're implying that in the last 11 days he came up with the design, sent it to them, they liked it, patented it, built it, and are sending out test units. Um, yeah.

More likely this has been in the works for a while, and this 'member' is being used to try to market the product here, and using HF's name, per that announcement page. This all seems like really shady business practices to me.

My opinion of Grand Trunk as a company has just lowered substantially.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    We notified Grand Trunk about this, and they have since changed the product page to remove references to the inventor being a HF member, along with the limited offer to members. No lengthy response yet though.

I'm sincerely hoping that this turns out to be a case of the member acting alone without GT's approval. I'd like to have GT's relationship to the forum be positive.

Optimistically waiting.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Not much of a relationship...Chief Hammock Officer hasn't visited HF since July 2010.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    We notified Grand Trunk about this, and they have since changed the product page to remove references to the inventor being a HF member, along with the limited offer to members. No lengthy response yet though.

I'm sincerely hoping that this turns out to be a case of the member acting alone without GT's approval. I'd like to have GT's relationship to the forum be positive.

Optimistically waiting.
    i can't wait to read that e-mail......
    i hope it brings some of this to light cause it was just too fishy for my taste
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wow! I just read what the page now says.

"The product was conceived by Herrick Kroeger, an avid outdoor lover, who works for one of our favorite retailers, Blue Sky Outfitters, out in WA. We loved the idea, ran with it, and now we have a new patented product design, and will share a portion of every sale with Herrick."

That is so weird they would state on their page that "Herrick" is getting paid for every sale.

This whole thing is incredibly fishy!

Fronkey

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    New? Patented?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    patented.... they should do there homework because there are other products out there that do the same thing i beleive the rock ren bag does the same thing pretty much ... all they did was add a zipper hole on each side of a mummy bag..... the pod has been around long before there system

i can't wait to read he patent on this ...
    and i agree 110% Fronkey something is off it's just not adding up
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    From a GTUL owner I'll be looking into different gear, unless there's an exceptionally "creative" explanation in that e-mail.

I am disappointed.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Wow! I just read what the page now says.

"The product was conceived by Herrick Kroeger, an avid outdoor lover, who works for one of our favorite retailers, Blue Sky Outfitters, out in WA. We loved the idea, ran with it, and now we have a new patented product design, and will share a portion of every sale with Herrick."

That is so weird they would state on their page that "Herrick" is getting paid for every sale.

This whole thing is incredibly fishy!

Fronkey
    They did not even get where he works right. Blue Sky Outfitters looks like a whitewater outfitter in WA. He lives in Rome, GA where there is a Blue Sky Outfitter. They must have done an internet search to find out where Blue Sky Outfitter was located and picked the wrong one. Hope they don't send the commission checks to WA

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast