Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch

Idea for a Pad Slot

Hey DIYers

I was doing some thinking after the Second Annual Florida Hang I was at and I reminisced on the nights of sleeping in my DIY Single Layer gathered end ( my god it was great and fulfilling to use it ) but one night I got a little unlucky with my pad and I rolled causing it to fly out from under me and me hitting the floor. Well that got me thinking about making it a two layer;

then I saw the video of Shug in the 0º crispy minnesota hang vid and I saw the hammock with down stuffed in it...

what If i made a diagonal sleeve for my pad so I wouldnt fuss with my pad and spread out the fabric nice and wide like pads do. would this work? just sewing on a rectangular piece of fabric the width of the pad but on a pre determined diagonal or should I just re hem the hammock with the second layer?
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Images
    I was contemplating doing the same thing myself. Creating a pad pocket the size of my pad along the correct diagonal. Once the sleeping pad is placed I was thinking of sewing it closed and making smaller side pockets for the SPE pads I have.

I haven't gotten anywhere with the idea. I'd love to see if anyone has actually tried it, what diagonal they used, and if they felt their attempt was a success or a failure.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Im going to start up plans today but Its on the back burner until My TQ is done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben fiber +doors
    Insulation
    Muticam UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps

Im pretty sure!

I had some doing in this idea!

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    I've got a double-layer (DL) Warbonnet Traveller. The Traveller's two layers are joined at the outer edges of the two fabric pieces, which are both essentially the same size.

I'd only have this concern with your idea: hammock fabric stretches when you lay in it, and it will stretch different amounts in different sections. If you sew your pad pocket on a diagonal, you'll be putting varying loads on it. (More at your butt, less towards your feet and head.) That could lead to tearing.

I've never tested that, but thought you might want to consider it. Good luck!

Hammock
    Woodsman X single
    Tarp
    Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    I've got a double-layer (DL) Warbonnet Traveller. The Traveller's two layers are joined at the outer edges of the two fabric pieces, which are both essentially the same size.

I'd only have this concern with your idea: hammock fabric stretches when you lay in it, and it will stretch different amounts in different sections. If you sew your pad pocket on a diagonal, you'll be putting varying loads on it. (More at your butt, less towards your feet and head.) That could lead to tearing.

I've never tested that, but thought you might want to consider it. Good luck!
    I think you got it! By sewing through your hammock body you risk causing weak spots along those seams...!

Try a double layer joined on the outer edges and add in a small loop/toggle at the Head/Foot diagonal and put corresponding tabs/toggles on your pad... That way it will stay put.

Mat
    Don't mess with Mother Nature as we are small and biodegradable!

http://ukhammocks.com

Mats YouTube Channel
    "Making it a great night in the woods!"

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Dots of silicon or seam sealer should stop it moving without having to sew anything.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahIdIDThat View Post
    I had some doing in this idea!
    yup you and the nice hard Ocala Forrest floor

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    I think you got it! By sewing through your hammock body you risk causing weak spots along those seams...!

Try a double layer joined on the outer edges and add in a small loop/toggle at the Head/Foot diagonal and put corresponding tabs/toggles on your pad... That way it will stay put.

Mat
    There have been a few threads with similar results. Nylon stretches. the hammock body will stretch, then putting load on the under-pocket.... that differential load puts stress on the stitching... the result is possible failure...

The answer is to make a double layer out of lighter fabric, as they will stretch more evenly, and distribute the load better...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

I've been thinking about making a double layer and considered sewing through both layers but using zig-zag stitch which is designed to stretch with fabric. It's the kind of stitch you use for spandex (not that I'd know anything about that myself, ahem...) and I don't believe it would introduce any weaknesses.
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

• + New Posts