Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    All of this was just the type feedback I was hoping to get. I thank you all very much for your help.
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi everyone,

So many great responses from so many VERY experienced hangers.

Of course they are all spot on when it comes to the thought process behind which quilt to choose. Personally, I am like Canibal. I use a fractional length under quilt all year around. About the only time I am in a full length under quilt is when I am testing new designs or doing a demo. Does that mean I do not like them?....nope, I just like really like the short quilts too. I am also typically more of a hiker than a camper, so that probably plays into my decision somewhat.

Another thing to note, that I feel is a positive point for the full length underquilt, is that it almost like having two quilts in one....almost. If the temperatures drop past the quilt's rating, the full length underquilt has a trick up its sleeve. Shift as much of the down out of the leg area and into the torso area as you can. This exaggerated over stuffing of the torso area will boost the temperature rating somewhat. Not as much as if you had the loft to go with all of that extra down, but it WILL be warmer. Obviously you will still have to deal with your lower legs, but in that situaton, you could either go into the fetal position so you legs are in the torso section and therefore insulated, or bring your backpack into the hammock with you (if you have a framless style...) and put your legs on it. I have even filled two lightweight trash can liners with leaves, pushed out most of the air, and used them as make shift pads for my legs. Worked great!

Anyway, as you can see by the answers, the full length quilt does seem to be the popular choice by many people. Even though it is bigger and bulkier, it is not so by much. Another thing to consider, if you DID opt for either one of the quilts and did not like the coverage offered, simply return it in new condition and we will send the other style out to you to see if it is more to you liking. You should be focusing on other aspects of your outdoor adventure, not worrying about if you are gong to stay warm!

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Good to see you on here Adam.

You can't pass up an offer like this, SC Dave. Adam and I discussed a similar issue of what length of TQ last year. He offered to do the same return for next size to me. I didn't need to take him up on the offer as the regular length was a great fit, but you can't beat this kind of customer service.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock
    I am saving my pennies for a full length incubator probably get the 20* as it doesn't get that cold here in Cyprus/UK. But who knows where the Army will send me next.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Thanks SC_Dave for asking this question.

Thanks all and especially you Slo for the answers.

I was thinking about a 20* Incubator myself but after yours and others explanations I believe when I have the funds, I'll look at the 0* instead paired with the 20* TQ I have from HG already.

Now to decide if I want overfill or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Have the exact same setup SC

I actually went with a 0* becuse you can vent it to be comfortable in ANY temp and no matter what you'll be able to take whatever temps you get. Just watched a thing on NatGeo today about that crazy storm you had a year or two ago that blanketed snow across the south and how it was NOT in the forecast at all.

I've used my 0* in 50* temps down to 13* and it's worked like champ. Actually at 13* I didn't think it felt anywhere near close to the edge of the rating. Definitely handle anything Ohio weather can throw at it and I backpack with it as well, baseweight is well under 20lbs.

Also went with the 20* TQ because like with your brakes, even though you have 4, the front 2 do 75% of the work. Same with quilts in my experience. There's more of a relationship to comfort between your UQ rating and the outside temp vs. you TQ rating and the outside temp. Saved some weight as well. I used this combo at the last Ohio hang and I think someone said it got to 13*.. I was venting my TQ I was so warm and it's a 20*.

Sound reasoning my friend

Hammock
    XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Another thing to consider, if you DID opt for either one of the quilts and did not like the coverage offered, simply return it in new condition and we will send the other style out to you to see if it is more to you liking.

~Stormcrow
    Well now how can you beat that! That my friend is customer service at it's best! Thanks Adam!
    David
    All my morning aches and pains went away when I discovered hammock camping!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    Now to decide if I want overfill or not.
    Why overfill?

Hammock
    eno DN(Daily)Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Cuben DIYw/beak
    Insulation
    15*Bag/20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    When I have the dough I’m planning on buying the 3/4 just because 1) my legs don’t get that cold and there are other ways of warming them up and 2) I believe the 3/4’s are more versatile! If I get a 20* full, it’s gonna suck in the cool(er) months but with the 3/4 I can still use it when I need too without frying…
    Always have a Plan B C D and E! - Arson

I 100% believe “Normal is Boring!"

Does Shug ever put out a bad video?

"Man up and get back up to the top of the food chain Mr. Omnivore. That McDonalds didn't grow out of a Avacodo bush.” - MrClean417

"The trick to living and learning is actually living." - Cannibal

"He who would travel happily must travel light."
    - Antonine Marie Roger de Saint-Exupery

"Backpacking is the art of knowing what not to take."
    - Sheridan Anderson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    RedBeardHanger,

To me the 20* 3/4 is probably the best "first quilt"

Looking back, I'm glad I started with a 20* 3/4 length first with the intension of someday also owning a 0* full length. Those two quilts really cover just about all the bases with the option of stacking them in really severe temps. In the mean time before you get a 0*, you can always supplement your 20* with a pad when needed and that will give you a chance to see how much you're really into full on winter camping before you commit on the 0*.

David

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeardHanger View Post
    When I have the dough I’m planning on buying the 3/4 just because 1) my legs don’t get that cold and there are other ways of warming them up and 2) I believe the 3/4’s are more versatile! If I get a 20* full, it’s gonna suck in the cool(er) months but with the 3/4 I can still use it when I need too without frying…
    I've using my 0* incubator (full length UQ) in my 65* basement right now and I'm perfectly comfortable. If I were to get too warm, I could slide the UQ down is suspension a couple inches and my backside would get cool. You see all the reports here of how difficult a time people can have dialing in their quilts, meaning it's relatively easy to get cool on purpose in a hammock.

However, it really comes down to HYOH. Since there's only 5oz diff between the full length and partial. I've been contemplating a 3/4 20* for summer camping but I JUST LOVE the fulllength UQ. Once it's on I have full range of movement without worrying about staying on a pad or keeping anything in place. I may just go with a full length summer quilt, chances are it will take me lower than the 40* rating on it anyways.

I would also concur on the winter camping, some people like it in theory but find it's not their particular brand of Vodka. However, I took the approach of getting the gear for it, then trying it out to make sure I set myself up to get an honest taste. But it really isn't for everyone and I'd already had coldweather ground dwelling under my belt so I had experience and a frame of reference outside of the hanging aspect, just being out in the cold for a few days at a time. Winter camping is a different animal.
    Last edited by Red Wing; 01-28-2012 at 11:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast