Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PenTarp

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images

PenTarp

I'm new here, and new to the whole idea of camping with a hammock instead of a tent. But the concept has a lot of appeal to me. I canoe, solo, and prefer remote, wilderness, pond-hopping in the Adirondacks. I'm also late sixties, and weigh a scant 135 pounds even with my pockets full of too much stuff, so minimizing weight on portages is a primary concern. The hammock appeals to me because of it's low weight and versatility where no prepared campsites exist. On the other hand, remote solo canoeing at my age in a tiny solo canoe demands prudence on windy days--when in doubt, sit it out. So I wonder about the very limited sheltered area for a whole day, or even more than one, of a hammock like the HH Ultralight Backpacker. The HH website offers larger HEX canopies but at a significant weight cost, and with the extra covered area divided down the middle by the hammock.

To you with experience, would it make sense for me to make my own in a pentagon shape? I have in mind a canopy that on one side of the ridge would be a copy of the standard HH parallelogram canopy but on the other side of the ridge would be a copy of the HH 11' x 12' special-order HEX canopy. Or is this a hare-brained idea that appeals only to the totally inexperienced like myself?

Images
    I have a decent number of nights in my hex shaped tarp. It also has cat cuts on it. It holds up great in the wind. The extra coverage is great for those nasty weather days. My issue with them is that you loose too much coverage on the end from the hex shape.

I think the cat cuts do a lot for taking up the slack. I'm playing around with a rectangler tarp now and I'm seeing the difference in slack in the tarp. Maybe not a true hex but the general shape would work.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    .....My issue with them is that you loose too much coverage on the end from the hex shape.......
    Coffee; Aaaaahhhhh, those are the kind of experienced comments I need. Do I understand correctly that the loss of coverage is from the cat cut? or is it the hex shape as opposed to rectangular? The HH that I have in mind comes with a fairly severely trimmed parallelogram. But since the PenTarp I'm suggesting would have to be a DIY project anyway, I could extend the length as needed on both sides. My goal is to carry as much weight as I gain significant benefit from, but ruthlessly cut away what I don't benefit from.

Images
    Welcome to you Graybeard.

The cat cut and hex style tarps remove material in order to reduce weight and/or create a more taut pitch to reduce wind noise and flapping. In my neck of the woods the wind changes direction too often during storms for me to rely on the orientation of my hang to keep the rain out. Some people use rectangular tarps to combat this shortcoming with good success. Unfortunately it has not worked for me. I use a modified McCat Tarp http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm. I found this to be a great tarp but still I got wet when the rain was blown towards the ends. My answer was to add doors to each end. My doors seem to be differnt than most in that they extend outwards when closed. Instead of losing space when I button up I actually gain a little which is nice when the rain sets in for a while. My tarp is a little heavier than some (at 18ozs) but combined with the rain stoppers on my straps has kept me completely dry during two tropical storms. I also added a middle tieout point on each side that allows me to raise the edges for better visibility and air flow as needed or as extra security in high winds. Hope this helps.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    T-BACK; Your comments do indeed help--more aspects for me to keep in mind as I think this through. With limited retirement resources I can't afford to make too many oversights.
    I would like, however, to redirect attention to my primary question: Does it make sense for a tarp to provide protection solely for the hammock on one side but large enough for cooking and such-like activities on the other side?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I think the cat cuts do a lot for taking up the slack. I'm playing around with a rectangler tarp now and I'm seeing the difference in slack in the tarp.
    Coffee,

I have used catenary darts on basically rectangular taps to take that slack out of them. The Speer WinterTarp uses them but when I was prototyping I used them on several different tie out configurations with success, even the basic 3 tieouts on each side. Basically the darts pull the loose material tight on the bias along a line between the side guy outs and the ridgeline guy outs. That is one way to handle in on large silnylon tarps. I'll attach a few photos from a 10x10 prototype I made, I assume you have seen how taut the WinterTarp sets up. You need the right size darts, if they are too little they obviously don't take out the slack but it they are too much they cause ripples in the corners or the tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    I would like, however, to redirect attention to my primary question: Does it make sense for a tarp to provide protection solely for the hammock on one side but large enough for cooking and such-like activities on the other side?
    Sorry, I guess I was ramblin again. In a way I guess I did give my opinion on that idea. I don't believe it would work for me in that I have found the wind too unpredictable to even have the ends uncovered much less an entire side. That said, many people claim to have good success staying dry using the HH stock tarp by pulling it down tight against the hammock. So, in theory at least, your ideas should work. I just like a little more breathing room.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    T-BACK; Your comments do indeed help--more aspects for me to keep in mind as I think this through. With limited retirement resources I can't afford to make too many oversights.
    I have MUCH less experience than most of these guys, but I think they may not be getting your idea.

My answer is YES, you could make a DIY tarp that only covers the hammock on one side (presumably the windward side) and is larger (like an awning) on the other. It would of course be heavier, and you would most likely want tie outs to keep it tighter to the hammock when needed. To take it a step farther, you could use branches found on site as poles and raise the ‘awning’ side for more air and view when suitable. For trips where portaging is not a factor, you could make a large tarp since weight wouldn’t be a big factor.

I just got a canoe and I’m researching trip locations for canoe hammock camping within easy striking distance from the Philadelphia area.

Side note: has anyone made or modified a tarp with extra tie outs so an ‘addition’ tarp could be added on one side, up underneath the main hammock tarp (like shingles on a roof) that could be attached and give the awning effect for longer stays, etc?

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Images
    Coffee; Aaaaahhhhh, those are the kind of experienced comments I need. Do I understand correctly that the loss of coverage is from the cat cut? or is it the hex shape as opposed to rectangular? The HH that I have in mind comes with a fairly severely trimmed parallelogram. But since the PenTarp I'm suggesting would have to be a DIY project anyway, I could extend the length as needed on both sides. My goal is to carry as much weight as I gain significant benefit from, but ruthlessly cut away what I don't benefit from.

I think you lose more from the hex shape than the cat cuts. I have some pics of mine in my gallery. If I make another tarp of this style I am going to make the bottom edge parallel with the ground a lot longer than the ends.

The hex shape works don't get me wrong. I just think you need a longer tarp to make up for the loose in coverage on the ends.

With most tarps they are going to be big enough that you can cook or whatever underneath. That is my favorite part of tarp camping. I setup the small rectangular tarp I am playing around with today. I think I could still cook under it in anything other than sideways rain.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I have MUCH less experience than most of these guys, but I think they may not be getting your idea.

My answer is YES, you could make a DIY tarp that only covers the hammock on one side (presumably the windward side) and is larger (like an awning) on the other. It would of course be heavier, and you would most likely want tie outs to keep it tighter to the hammock when needed. To take it a step farther, you could use branches found on site as poles and raise the ‘awning’ side for more air and view when suitable. For trips where portaging is not a factor, you could make a large tarp since weight wouldn’t be a big factor.

I just got a canoe and I’m researching trip locations for canoe hammock camping within easy striking distance from the Philadelphia area.

Side note: has anyone made or modified a tarp with extra tie outs so an ‘addition’ tarp could be added on one side, up underneath the main hammock tarp (like shingles on a roof) that could be attached and give the awning effect for longer stays, etc?
    I think I remember Ed Speer doing that at one of his campouts so he could hang 2 hammocks side by side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast