WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images

All you full-time hangers: what do you use?

I'm really talking full-time indoor hanging here. I'm certainly tempted to do it, but I'll have to sort out attachment points (the bedroom is organised very poorly for hanging hammocks), and I still have to convince my wife... I think I'll start by making hammocks for our boys and then if all goes according to plan, they'll eventually sleep better and the wife will warm to the idea. Wish me luck on that one!

In the meantime, what do you guys and girls use indoors at home? I'm thinking of a DIY Knotty style gathered end hammock with the shock cord in the sides, but I'm still not sure whether to go Knotty style (with the shock cord near the foot on both sides) or Wilderness Logics style (with the shock cord near the head and near the foot, diagonally opposite). Is that a good hammock for home use?

What fabric is best for an indoor, home, every night hammock? Weight obviously won't be an issue (I've got the WBBB 1.1dbl for hiking).

Will I need a ridge line, or should I try to figure out the suspension so that I can get it right without the need for it (if so, how does one figure that out before drilling into the walls or building a frame - I'd need to know first I guess).

Do you find you need an under quilt of some sort, or is the inside of the house usually temperate enough that a blanket or quilt on the top would suffice? It would rarely get below 60F in my house, and I'm a warm sleeper, so I think I'll be fine, but do you think I'll need to consider it for my wife and kids?

I'm not planning on using bug netting, even though there are often some pesky insects that get inside during the summer (including some of my bees!). They don't bother me enough to justify bug netting for an indoor hang.

Is there anything else I haven't thought of? I don't have the cash to do anything but DIY on this one, at least for now, but I figure that will get me there, since I've got a thread injector and I'm not afraid to use it.

OK that's enough from me for now. Any words of wisdom?
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    I use a woven Hammock for indoor. No ridgeline. I do find a underquilt is needed from time to time, but not much of one. I use a simple down throw with webbing on it.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    What fabric is best for an indoor, home, every night hammock? Weight obviously won't be an issue (I've got the WBBB 1.1dbl for hiking).
    i use an ENO DN though some who DIY prefer to use a polyester micro fiber or polyester taffeta, could always just use nylon.....

Will I need a ridge line, or should I try to figure out the suspension so that I can get it right without the need for it (if so, how does one figure that out before drilling into the walls or building a frame - I'd need to know first I guess).
    trial and error. some where around here is a hang calculator, input your distance, preferred sit height and ridge line and it will give you your suspension length and anchor height

Do you find you need an under quilt of some sort, or is the inside of the house usually temperate enough that a blanket or quilt on the top would suffice? It would rarely get below 60F in my house, and I'm a warm sleeper, so I think I'll be fine, but do you think I'll need to consider it for my wife and kids?
    i would, personally i use an UQ and either ditch the blanket or pull the UQ off to the side if needed

as for the stand i use one of these modified to fit the room
    http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-stan...arhammocks.cfm

hope this helps

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I use eye-bolts in the ceiling to hang from, screwed into the rafters they are good and solid but the height of the hammock off the floor can be compromised if you have high ceilings.

I sleep in my WBBB and use an Incubator underquilt. I didn't think an UQ would be necessary indoors but for me it is. The guylines at the sides are attached to wee hooks in the walls. Basically I just use the same kit in the same way as I would outdoors and once you get it dialled-in it's just as awesome - the only thing missing is the view!

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Moskito
    Tarp
    Chinook 12" x 9'6"
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 20° UQ
    Suspension
    web cinch buckle
    Images
    I recently bought one of these:

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...withfringe.cfm

I don't have it up yet, but it looks really cool! It's a very heavy cotton, like a canvas. Knotty has one as well. I personally would rather sleep in natural fibers rather than nylon for my home sleeping.

Edit: I just saw that you are going DIY. You could probably make a gathered end hammock for indoor use with some nice calico or a light canvas.
    "Dyslexic knot unravellers of the world, UNITE!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Thanks for the input. I just might have to check out the fabric store. I think I could convince my wife to come along.

My ceiling is 8' high, so I doubt that would be a problem. I hadn't thought of hanging from the rafters!

I have seen the hammock hang calculator, having read the book. I didn't quite understand what it meant by ridge line though. I thought it was the length of a structural ridge line, but I guess it makes sense that it's calculating the height etc to give that length in the absence of an actual bit of rope. I'll have to play around with it so I can get the sit height right with the "tree strap" height at 8'. The "tree" distance should then be the distance I need between the eye bolts in the rafters I guess.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use my DIY double layer ripstop hammock indoors 4-5 nights a week. No ridge line and no bug net (don't need either in the house).

I use a steel stand just like the one cinnamon uses. It's big though (15'). I also have a 12' steel stand that I could use, but it's not quite as tall, so the bigger stand is my preference.

When it was warmer, I would just sleep with a blanket. Then, when winter came, I switched to a sleeping bag. I moved my hammock to a cooler part of the house where it is about 50 degrees at night and out of curiosity, tried using my underquilt. The UQ is the way to go! I recommend it.

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No way am I sleeping on nylon at home. Home is for luxuries and when it comes to hanging, cotton is my luxury. We sleep in Brazilian hammocks (mostly) at home. They are a fairly heavy cotton weave which offers a bit more thermal insulation and a bunch more comfort. Easy to wash, although they do shrink after washing which makes you 'climb' into the hammock after it's hung again. It stretches back out, so no worries.

We do not use ridgelines. Since we don't have to set and re-set the hammocks, there is no need for the convenience of a ridgeline. You will almost certainly need some type of bottom insulation, but since it's indoors, you don't need much or fancy. Heck, I've been known to slap a fleece blanket on the bottom of the home hammock; works just fine.

We attach to the rafters in the ceiling with eye-bolts. We have been in our current bedroom for a little over two years and even recently made a baby, so it seems a pretty solid method of hanging to me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    man i need to get a cotton hammock for the house i been sleeping in my WBBB 4 nights a week since i setup a way to hang in the basement
    the only reason for only 4 nights is the wife misses me
    but i would like a BIG cotton hammock that would hold both of us
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I've been fulltiming for close to a year now. My indoor DIY hammock is a whipped end gathered polyester. I've also found that a light UQ is needed for comfort. My stand was an outdoor swing frame lengthened to 10'. On trips I carry my DIY version of the turtlelady's stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast