Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There are for me. I have some mobility issues. It is easier for me to stand up from the bottom entry because I can just reach up and pull myself up. It is not as easy for me to get out of a top loader.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > What’s the attraction to bottom loading?

Bomb-proof bug protection -- no zippers to mess with, jam or break, no Velcro to stick together or pull loose in the middle of the night (multiply by whatever factor compensates for your grogginess when you wake up in the, uh, wee hours to take a leak.), just get in, lay down, cover up (if needed) and go (back) to sleep.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    There are for me. I have some mobility issues. It is easier for me to stand up from the bottom entry because I can just reach up and pull myself up. It is not as easy for me to get out of a top loader.
    In your situation, I can see the attraction. Glad you’ve found a system that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    > What’s the attraction to bottom loading?

Bomb-proof bug protection -- no zippers to mess with, jam or break, no Velcro to stick together or pull loose in the middle of the night (multiply by whatever factor compensates for your grogginess when you wake up in the, uh, wee hours to take a leak.), just get in, lay down, cover up (if needed) and go (back) to sleep.
    I hear ya…I’ve never had any issues with my top loaders, but I’ve honestly not camped near as much as most of you folks here. I’ve never actually seen or used a bottom loader, I just didn’t like the idea of them. Can you still use them as a seat under your tarp during rain, cooking, etc? Or does the net get in the way? Can you just flip them and sit on the ‘bottom’? If you do that, how far down will the net hang?
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I hear ya…I’ve never had any issues with my top loaders, but I’ve honestly not camped near as much as most of you folks here. I’ve never actually seen or used a bottom loader, I just didn’t like the idea of them. Can you still use them as a seat under your tarp during rain, cooking, etc? Or does the net get in the way? Can you just flip them and sit on the ‘bottom’? If you do that, how far down will the net hang?
    With an HH the built-in ridge-line interferes with the most natural way of using them as a seat. The easiest mod (and it is not hard) is to make it possible to disconnect the ridge-line, and then the netting drops into the hammock body and you have a seat. I think you can also flip the hammock to have the netting below when you do this.

The mod needed involves cutting the ridge-line, then adding back a way to adjust the length and connect/disconnect.

Grizz

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I hear ya…I’ve never had any issues with my top loaders, but I’ve honestly not camped near as much as most of you folks here. I’ve never actually seen or used a bottom loader, I just didn’t like the idea of them. Can you still use them as a seat under your tarp during rain, cooking, etc? Or does the net get in the way? Can you just flip them and sit on the ‘bottom’? If you do that, how far down will the net hang?[/QUOTE]

You can use them as a seat, you just have the bugnet against your back when you do. You unhook one of the tie-outs and fold the hammock bottom on itself, then sit or lie down. I do this to test the hammock when it's first tied up. There's a picture on the Hennessy website.

I don't mind the bottom entry. In dry weather I put my shoes on a trash bag right under the opening so I can sit and pull them on.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My camp shoes come off and hang from the ridgeline by a biner. I am absolutely forbidden to go barefoot for any reason. I usually do not allow shoes in my shelter but I need to make an exception with hammock. But I think I would need to do that with a top loader as well. I have played around with my daughter's skeeter beeter but haven't spent a whole night in it yet. Although I am considering doing that.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    My camp shoes come off and hang from the ridgeline by a biner. I am absolutely forbidden to go barefoot for any reason. I usually do not allow shoes in my shelter but I need to make an exception with hammock. But I think I would need to do that with a top loader as well. I have played around with my daughter's skeeter beeter but haven't spent a whole night in it yet. Although I am considering doing that.
    The pockets under a Clark are GREAT for holding boots up out of the weather and still being within easy reach. I'd imagine putting pockets on a DIY wouldn't be THAT big of a problem.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I guess I really need to see a clark in action. I watched the first part of the vid and it was great, but the thought of sleeping on my boots makes me yearn for the rocks and roots of the ground. :P I'm sure I am missing something there.

I have my camp shoes inside so when I shove them through the bottom slit I don't have to feel around for them on the ground. It works. I may come up with something else as time gores by.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    With my Hennessey, I hang my shoes by their laces tied together and looped over the ridgeline at the far foot-end of the hammock inside, unless they're muddy; then I'll hang them outside the hammock at the foot-end. In the latter case, I sit up in the hammock with my feet out the slit and reach through the slit with my left arm, holding the ridgeline above my head with my right, to get them. In both cases, I pull 'em on sitting in the bottom opening.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I guess I really need to see a clark in action. I watched the first part of the vid and it was great, but the thought of sleeping on my boots makes me yearn for the rocks and roots of the ground. :P I'm sure I am missing something there.

I have my camp shoes inside so when I shove them through the bottom slit I don't have to feel around for them on the ground. It works. I may come up with something else as time gores by.
    Yes you’re missing something! The boots are in pockets below you as you sleep, but the pockets are baggy enough that they hang and your back will never feel them. You swivel around and prior to putting your feet on the ground, you reach into the pocket and put on your boots before your feet ever hit the ground.

There’s more than one way to skin this cat, but this way certainly keeps your boots off the ground and out of the weather, yet out of your sleep area.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast