Hammock
    HH ULEA w/2QZQ
    Tarp
    OES 12X10 SpinnUL
    Insulation
    DIY momen/PL TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    You can use a stuff sack, piece of tyvek, or most anything as a very small ground cloth / floor mat under the entrance. Step into your sleeping bag on the mat, then sit in the hammock and pull up your legs. done. Its very simple. Since you lay on the diagonal your feet are never near the entrance making nearly imposible to fall out while sleeping.

The reason I like the bottom entry is because of its ease of use. It takes just a true 2 or 3 seconds to get in or out of a sealed hammock.

I am going to upgrade to a larger tarp to have a larger wet weather cooking and gear storage area.

I also see the advantages of the others types of hammocks. But , when bugs are a factor I perfer the HH doe to its ease of use.

With that said I have very limited experience with other hammocks

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by strung2tite View Post
    You can use a stuff sack, piece of tyvek, or most anything as a very small ground cloth / floor mat under the entrance. Step into your sleeping bag on the mat, then sit in the hammock and pull up your legs. done. Its very simple. Since you lay on the diagonal your feet are never near the entrance making nearly imposible to fall out while sleeping.

The reason I like the bottom entry is because of its ease of use. It takes just a true 2 or 3 seconds to get in or out of a sealed hammock.

I am going to upgrade to a larger tarp to have a larger wet weather cooking and gear storage area.

I also see the advantages of the others types of hammocks. But , when bugs are a factor I perfer the HH doe to its ease of use.

With that said I have very limited experience with other hammocks
    Welcome to the site.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

I am brand spanking new to this site and to hammock hanging! First time out between the pad, sleeping bag and trying to figure out just how the heck do people really call this great I thought I was going to have a hissy fit! I slide around in that thing like I was on ice! Then when I finally did get to sleep, only God knows how, the storm with 45-55 MPH winds taught me I had alot to learn about setting the dang thing up! Soooo....all this info is so great...I bow down to you all. Someone did suggest putting those rubber flowerett things like you would put in your tub or shower on the back of my pad....good/bad?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldbond View Post
    I am brand spanking new to this site and to hammock hanging! First time out between the pad, sleeping bag and trying to figure out just how the heck do people really call this great I thought I was going to have a hissy fit! I slide around in that thing like I was on ice! Then when I finally did get to sleep, only God knows how, the storm with 45-55 MPH winds taught me I had alot to learn about setting the dang thing up! Soooo....all this info is so great...I bow down to you all. Someone did suggest putting those rubber flowerett things like you would put in your tub or shower on the back of my pad....good/bad?
    Welcome to you as well. There is a bit of a learning curve with hammocks. What kind of hammock and pad are you using?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldbond View Post
    . Someone did suggest putting those rubber flowerett things like you would put in your tub or shower on the back of my pad....good/bad?
    I would think they would come off, but I haven't tried them.
    Applying lines of seam sealer to your pad might help.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I tired the flower things on my self inflatable. They were useless. But they didn't come off
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Welcome to you as well. There is a bit of a learning curve with hammocks. What kind of hammock and pad are you using?
    I have a HH Deluxe Explorer A-sym and I suck at setting it up...I'm getting frustrated to say the least. We are expecting a guuly washer here today so I set it up in the backyard and put a old sleeping bag in it to see what I need to adjust. Practice makes perfect!

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I guess I really need to see a clark in action. I watched the first part of the vid and it was great, but the thought of sleeping on my boots makes me yearn for the rocks and roots of the ground. :P I'm sure I am missing something there.

I have my camp shoes inside so when I shove them through the bottom slit I don't have to feel around for them on the ground. It works. I may come up with something else as time gores by.

You don't feel the shoes under you.
    What you feel is WARM with no underquilt.
    Do yourself a favor and buy a Clark.
    :::cackling as she runs gleefully through the forest after a great night's sleep in her CLARK HAMMOCK:::::

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    In your situation, I can see the attraction. Glad you’ve found a system that works for you.

I hear ya…I’ve never had any issues with my top loaders, but I’ve honestly not camped near as much as most of you folks here. I’ve never actually seen or used a bottom loader, I just didn’t like the idea of them. Can you still use them as a seat under your tarp during rain, cooking, etc? Or does the net get in the way? Can you just flip them and sit on the ‘bottom’? If you do that, how far down will the net hang?
    As a Claytor, Speer and HH user, I like both approaches. It depends on which day you ask me as to which I like best. However, all of my week plus trips have been with my HH, and it has always done great. Although it did better day by day as I learned to use the HH and it's Super Shelter together.

One more benefit: If you have a smallish tarp to save weight, you will have better rain protection if you stay as close as possible to the tarp ridge line. If you are very close to the tarp RL and with a steep storm pitch, you will probably find it easier to avoid rubbing against the condensation on the underside of the tarp by entering from the bottom. I do, anyway.

Of course, there are some great benefits to the top loaders.

Oh, and it makes my favorite hammock chair. I just hand it a bit loose until bedtime. Then I have a nice flat platform under me with no long edge cutting into my legs. The loose RL supports my back when I lean back, very uncomfortable if I don't loosen it first. I have cut the RL and put in a screw link, and can disconnect it if I desire. But I think I actually prefer just to leave it a bit loose until bedtime. Works either way.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-06-2008 at 17:32.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123