Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Woobie\SBlanket
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Images

Thumbs up Review: Grand Trunk Hammock Mosquito Net

This is taken from my review at www.hoosierbushcraft.com. I had a great time with this Grand Trunk Mosquito Net and it's really nice that you can use it with virtually any hammock model.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When you're in the woods and the weather is nice and hot, you can typically be sure of one thing, you will get to deal with bugs at some point in your trekking. One of the worst times for the little nuisances to come around and start pestering you is when you are trying to rest and relax

There are several ways to deal with the little critters and it's entirely up to you. You can hose yourself down with sprays, which will usually work well, but leave you with smelling like a chemical factory and all sticky. You can light citronella candles or other brand name chemical candles and take care of some bugs, but you never really thwart all of them that way. One thing I like to do is to keep a fire smoldering throughout the night and while that usually works great, you can't keep all of the little biting critters away.

Enter the Grand Trunk Mosquito Net. I have been a big fan of Grand Trunk when I first got my single wide hammock from them a few years back and have become a devoted "hanger" when camping, or just on the trail. At night, I find it relaxing to sleep in my hammock and found that I can get a very good nights sleep while hanging from some trees. I've been pretty lucky with the crazy bugs here in Indiana, but there are always a few that like to get a snack while I'm sleeping or taking a nap in my hammock. For more about Grand Trunk Good, check out their site here and take a look at their selection.

The GT Mosquito Net is a lot like the military models that many of you have probably seen, either in person or in several catalogs. The night thing about this net is that you get a few modern additions that make it easy and enjoyable to use. The first thing that caught my eye was the carry bag it comes with ( a rather standard thing that GT attaches to their hammocks and like items) and the fact that the entire thing was able to fit into a fairly small pouch that is kept closed by a drawstring closure and a cord lock. It also comes with a handle on the side, which I found handy since I stood the pouch on end in my pack to save on space.

Once pulled out of the carry bag, you notice that the entire net is rolled up very tight and the first thing you think to yourself is "Man, I sure hope I can roll this up the same way and fit it back in that sack!" Unrolling it reviled the two 32" Spreader poles that break down much like most collapsible tent poles. The poles are meant to spread the top of the net out on both corners to give you more room, a task that they handled without any issue. There is also a long length of cord that runs along the top of the hammock for hanging purposes.

The first step was to unroll the netting, find of the the ends, make sure you have the right side up and slide it on over your hammock. I already had my hammock set up so I could rest in it throughout the day. It was a simple matter of unhooking one of the ends of the hammock from the tree straps and just slide the netting over until the other end reaches the other side. On the net was in place, I got out the two spreader poles and put them together. Both poles fit just right in the provided fabric slots that are sewn into the netting itself.

With the hammock spread out, I hung up the cordage that was attached to the top of the hammock via some eye-lets to the same two trees that the hammock was hanging from. I found that hanging the net about 2-2.5 feet above the tree straps seemed to provide distance between the hammock and the top of the net.

With the top taking shape, it was time to add spread out the floor and add the aluminum tent stakes that I brought along. Note that the GT Mosquito Net does not come with stakes, BUT it does give you the ability to stake down the four corners of the floor, which made for an excellent place to store my gear!

Two more nice features that the GT Mosquito Net has is a two sided zipper door to get in and out of the net easily. I found that the zipper was easy to work (a comfort for that 4AM bathroom break). Another nice thing is that the opening for the hammock tree straps has a pull cord so you can tighten the holes completely and use the provided cord lock to keep everything closed up all the time leaving no holes at all for those uninvited guests. I slept through the night very well and also had a peace of mind that I wouldn't wake up in the morning with bugs using me as a pin cushion.

All in all, I'm very impressed with the GT Mosquito Net and would highly recommend it to anyone who already have a hammock and lives in an area where bugs thrive. The net worked flawlessly with my GT Single Wide hammock and all of the materials were top notch. I even managed to roll it back up nice and tight so that it fit back in the carry bag!

Let me know what you think about this review and if you would like to see more. Thanks for reading friend and thanks to Grand Trunk for making such a great product for us bug minded people :-)

- Bill

Company Site - www.grandtrunkgoods.com
    Mosquito Net - http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/ham...k-mosquito-net
    Last edited by HoosierGuy; 01-26-2012 at 11:22. Reason: Broken Links

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Nice review thanks for sharing with us.
    Terry

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Thanks!!! What's the weight on this guy?
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Grand Trunk All-Terrain
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Woobie\SBlanket
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    Thanks!!! What's the weight on this guy?
    Here's a few of the details. I can say that it's light and fits easily in a corner of your pack, or could clip to the outside easily.

Weight
    22.5oz

Dimensions
    144" x 32"

Floor Size
    90" x 32"

Here are a few size comparison pics with a standard Nalgene bottle.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In my personal experience, I have found white bugnets to severely reduce visibility from inside the hammock. How is the visibility on this one when you're laying in the hammock looking around? Is your view clear, or does the white wash everything out and reduce clarity? It looks like a nice piece of gear.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk All-Terrain
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Woobie\SBlanket
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    In my personal experience, I have found white bugnets to severely reduce visibility from inside the hammock. How is the visibility on this one when you're laying in the hammock looking around? Is your view clear, or does the white wash everything out and reduce clarity? It looks like a nice piece of gear.
    Cannibal, thanks for the question. I found that during the day, the white mesh did indeed make visibility more limited than your standard OD from the surplus store.

Nighttime was just the opposite, which I actually liked I would rather have a little more visability at night anyway...always good to see that bear strolling up to give you a sniff

I really like the ability to stake out the floor and have a dry (and semi-secure) place for your pack and/or gear. Something I just thought of, if you have a buddy with you and the bugs are heavy, he or she could sleep at the bottom and you hang above in your hammy..call it, wilderness bunk-beds

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Looks pretty nice, I didn't realize they had spreader bars on them. That sure makes it nicer and keeps the net off of you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Grand Trunk All-Terrain
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Woobie\SBlanket
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Looks pretty nice, I didn't realize they had spreader bars on them. That sure makes it nicer and keeps the net off of you.
    Heya Bajahanger, that is one of the nice features of this net setup. You get the feeling that you have plenty of room to move around and set up your gear. I'm very pleased with this setup

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    white bug nets also attract less mosquitos and crawlies as well..or so I am informed by what I have read and been instructed on in Jungle Warefare School training. lighter whiter clothing for jungles etc. etc.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    TadPole Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Nice review Thanks!
    Doing More with less....