Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brisbane, Great Southern Land (Australia)
    I'm pretty new to the whole hammock thing but I don't see any need to do anything to the device, as delivered. I do have a 12metre length of Zing-it so I can hang the tarp high, if I want to, but do not consider that a mod.

I'm more interested in getting the thing well on its way to being worn out; mods will come if the value becomes obvious.

Ticklebelly

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    1. Switch to Whoopies - I used the stock suspension to start, but it is harder to tweak. For my first couple hangs tweaking was necessary to figure out what worked best for me. I then switched to descender rings for easy adjustment. They work fine, but I switched to whoopies because of so much positive feedback about them. I haven't looked back. They are lighter, smaller and easier to use.

2. Peak bag(s)! - If you are going to swap out the suspension, might as well add a peak bag while it is apart. They are just handy. 2Q+ZQ also made a longer peak bag for me so I could fit my shoes in them (I like having my shoes inside my hammock for my own peace of mind).

3. Ridge Line - Again, while everything is open is the time to install and adjustable ridgeline. I am glad I did because I found I was more comfortable with a ridgeline that was a couple inches shorter than stock. I wasn't uncomfortable before it, but I was more comfortable after.

Also after having opened up the ends of mine, I noticed that there were some very hard and sharp ends where the nylon was melted through during manufacture. I am not sure if those sharp edges would actually damage the cordage stretched over it, but for my own peace of mind I will trim those edges in any HHs I have in the future. A nail clipper worked very well for me.

I thought this was going to be a short response, sorry about the wall of text.
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Agreed.

I never hung my Deep Jungle with the stock suspension. I read the instructions, watched the video, and thought screw that.

Right out of the box, do a whoopie mod or adjustable webbing suspension (my Preference).

The other suggestions about a separate tarp ridge line are good (I'd make up some mesh snake skins for your tarp too).

If your really dead set on a mod right out of the box, you can't go wrong with a 2QZQ zipper mod #4.

Though my #1 advice for an Ontario hanger would be get youurself to an EGL group hang and bring your stuff. We love to talk gear!

Dan.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    I don't have any problems with the stock Hennessey setup. But like most others, I wanted the suspension to be a little easier to adjust, so I simply added a pair of figure 9 carabiners clipped to the tree straps. Cheap, simple, and easy to adjust.

Just watch for abrasion to the ropes from any non-stock hardware.
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Yeah you should be careful with abrasion. I only use the teeth of the figure nine to hold the rope while making adjustments. When I get everything set, I tie a couple half hitches through the biner.

Hammock
    HH Exped
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Mostly stock
    Mark which end is your head and which end is your foot so you get your zipper facing the right way the first time.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by platypus42 View Post
    Mark which end is your head and which end is your foot so you get your zipper facing the right way the first time.
    This is the best and simplest "mod" I have seen in this thread!
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    This might be a silly question but with the HHDJ, is there a 'head' end & a 'foot' end? For me I sleep with the zipper on the left (sorry to deviate but I thought I might ask while I was on this thread), is that the correct way?

Weta
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"- Dr Suess

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    OES Silnyl Deluxe
    Insulation
    1/8 pad
    I made changes to my bottom entry in the following order:
    -continuous ridge line so that I could set up the tarp before the hammock in the rain
    -replace the stock suspension with whoopies for easier centering of the hammock under the tarp
    -Dutchware... the flyz and dutch hook for the CRL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast