Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

Help me decide who, not what! TQ Edition

Ok, I pretty much have what I want to get narrowed down in the quilt departments, but Im having a hard time choosing from whom to get it from..

First, let me start by saying that all vendors here are equally awesome and there isnt a question on service or quality of products, but rather diff companies specific features and designs.

SO! on to the debate, right now I'm torn between a TQ from WL (not sure which of the 2 big ones, but theyre kinda close in the size) and the Hammock Gear Burrow 40*.

Im not going to be using a pad at all, if that makes a difference

NOW, heres the real issues as far as I can see:

1) I like to sleep "ballerina" style a lot, and even if I dont I prefer to have some wiggle room in the leg area which is one of the reasons I hate mummy bags
    2) Im a big boy, but in laying down in the bed and having my lovely assistant use a tape measure on certain areas of me the 50" width of the HGB is sufficient, but the leg area is where I worry some
    3) Weight isnt a big issue yet, but the WL quilts are a pretty big difference at over DOUBLE the weight of the HGB
    4) The standard length of the XXL and the King from WL is a bit long, IMO

So I'm torn!

Also, feel free to fill me in on any other vendors out there that I may have overlooked. Thanks!

OH! One more question. If I were to go with a 20* UQ, would a 40* TQ be good if I dont like layers? Im pretty sure I'll only ever get down to freezing in my hammock because I dont have red hair, but I find it really hard to sleep in anything beyond skivvies.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post

1) I like to sleep "ballerina" style a lot,

Im pretty sure I'll only ever get down to freezing in my hammock because I dont have red hair, but I find it really hard to sleep in anything beyond skivvies.
    I'm sorry I don't have any experience with your question, but
    #1 has me just giggling as I have never seen this in print

the oh! part...I am confused as I do have red hair....still scratching my head on this one!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I can't speak on whether a 40* TQ will be sufficient for YOU, but for me, it defintely is. I've used a 40* sleeping bag down to 20.7, and plan to take it colder, as I was a little overheated. I have a monster DIY UQ and I'm a hot sleeper though.

Either company will do custom work as well. For the record, the XXL and Burrow are both 74" long, but the XXL is almost a foot wider at 61.75"

"Out of the box", the WL quilt has twice as much down, but at 800 fill power. It's also a bigger quilt and is rated to 15* That explains the significant weight difference. When compared to the 20* burrow, they get closer in weight.

Since both do custom work you can purchase from either company, and have what you need. HG uses 900 FP, whereas WL advertises 800+ FP. You'll shave a few ounces there when all other materials and dimensions are equal.

With all of that said, I have to recommend Hammock Gear simply because I have and use their quilts. Adam and Jenny are good people, and really helped me out of a bind a few weeks ago, even when there was no incentive whatsoever for them to do so. This is not to say that Wildnerness Logics isn't just as good. From all I've read and heard, they are.

Sorry, I'm rambling, and I really didn't help you make a decision, did I?
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Two isles, that was a shug reference! and the ballerina pose is in the Ultimate Hang book by djoah (sp). i usually call it the figure 4 where one leg is cocked out sideways making a "4" shape

Stang, what all did you have on tho, when your 40* tq took you so low? as i made mention, i dont sleep in much at all so layering a lot is mostly out of the question. i usually put out a lot of heat when i sleep, and in my bedroom i prefer it to be icy cold (actually, the a/c is on in my room right now.) so i guess thats a good thing for this? i think the main question was: if the TQ needed to be the same relative temp rating as the UQ

And yeah, WL is wonderful at customer service as well as quality. My only questions are regarding the styles and such.
    Last edited by default; 01-27-2012 at 00:14.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    As you said, all the vendors here are great. I recently ordered from Underground Quilts. Quality seems to be on par with other offerings and pricing is a tad less. I wanted to give a new vendor a chance and Paul has been very prompt with responses to my inquiries. Good luck on your decision.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by body942 View Post
    Best. Post. Ever.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie / Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Rev,

I have the XXL quilt from WL. Just got it a couple of days ago and waiting to get it up to where temps are in the teens (Fahrenheit) here in Japan. I'm going to do a short review this weekend including weight, with some pics here in my yard, where temps are in the mid 30's, down to in the 20's at night. I'll do an over-nighter.

Initial impressions:
    Great quality work. The bag is a bit heavier, but that's my doing. I custom ordered an additional 6oz of down in it. Looking to get below 0 degrees. I also had them shorten the amount of space from the bottom of the quilt (foot end) to where the "Y" of the seam starts. I too am a bit of a ballerina and usually wind up frog legged most of the time. I also squirm a great deal. Marty was awesome to deal with, took my suggestions and made me exactly what I was looking for. I'm 6' and about 270lbs. He was super fast and had it over to me in Japan (super reasonable shipping cost) in about 10 days. I am sure he would make any changes you requested. I am very impressed with this TQ initially, and will be happy to give you more feedback soon.

Although I haven't yet purchased from Hammock Gear, from what I can tell, both Adam and Jenny are fantastic people to deal with. My next purchase will be another UQ and I am looking at them for the -15 degree winter full length that they have. In the meantime, I'm working with MacEntyre on a special UQ for my large Papa Smurf hammock. He is working on a hybrid which could be used as either a UQ or TQ, and it will be very large in order to cover the bottom of the PS monster.
    2new2hang

I know not how to aid you, save in the assurance of one of mature age, and much severe experience, that you can not fail, if you resolutely determine, that you will not.

Abraham Lincoln
    --July 22, 1860

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll second Underground Quilts. Just received 2 TQ's and 2 UQ's (20 degree all around) for wife and I. Darn near fell asleep in the garage testing them out last night. Quilts look awesome and appear to be in perfect shape. My order came complete with triangle thingies and extra stuff sacks that are bigger. Dealing with Paul was great. I would definitely add his name to your list.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Rev,

By the balerina pose, do you mean with one knee propped up like Jethro Tull?

I have both the 20* and 40* burrows and tend to prop one knee up fairly often, I'd say the width accomodates it reasonably well. I was concerned with this before making the jump from a SB to a TQ but found it's really not an issue for me. What I was worried about in terms of side coverage is really taken care of by the UQ.

David

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast