Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I Hijacked Mama's coat!

All I had to do was make a little comment like "It makes you look like a little tree" and now I have a long puffy down coat. I have searched the forums for converting coats to UQ's, but have only found jackets, presumably to be also worn. My intent is to do an arm-ectomy and see how the shape fits. I think the arms will make pretty good draft collars. I was unable to find any feedback on how peoples jacket conversions came out, but I think using a coat is a natural as it should break wind and insulate. I don't anticipate 0 degrees, but figure on 30 anyway. Am I thinking too much? Should I wait a bit before I start cutting and slashing the coat?
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Images
    Are you related by birth or by marriage? Either way you may be destined to use whatever you create on a nightly basis under a bridge based on the method used to acquire it.

Good luck...

Hammock
    DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide
    Lol. Sounds like solid logic. Let us know how it turns out.

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's my wife. She was pretty good about it, saying she was going to donate the coat to Goodwill. But I am still gonna give her a couple days to consider before I put the scissors to it. lol.
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I picked up an LL Bean down parka .. The hood was removable .. it's the IMHO perfect sleeping hat when needed .. I cut the sleeves off and use them now as legs for sleeping .. I found that minimal is needed to transform the rest into a useable TQ .. inverted with the sleeves off works well .. it can still be worn as a jacket around camp and worn back wards to sleep in as well ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    oh dude, you're golden. Are you at all familiar with the military jacket liners? ($5-10 at surplus) they're the insulation component to the military's jacket layering system. Anyway, they ar just like a coat but the arm pits arn't sewn shut. Better breathability? I don't know, but i do know that when wearing them alone, with out the shell, one can tuck the sleeves inside and turn it into a vest. Handy right? Stick with me here, now imagine that 5 dollar mil surplus item was say that down jacket you have in your hands. And lets say you could manage to rip and resew the armpit seams so as to resemble said mil item. Then we'll put grosgrain tabs at the shoulders and waist line for suspention ankers. So when its time to settle in for the night you can pull off your warm fluffy coat, hook up some shock cord to it, tuck the arms inside (providing evenmore insulation) and heck, lets have those pits zip shut to trap in that warm air. Wa-freakin-la! Ya got yourself a multi use piece of gear. Channels could even be sewn in it along the sides of the zippers alowing you to slide it to where you needed it at night. idon't know, i can see it in my head but my words are dumb.make sense at all?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Thumbs up

bluefields, I like the way you think about gear, and I love what you do with language!
    Wa-freakin-la!
    Your words may be a lot of things, but dumb they're not.
    Last edited by WV; 01-28-2012 at 13:43.

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Now I wish my wife were bigger. I can get both arms in, but cant get it to my shoulders. this coat is like duster length for her so will make an almost 2/3 quilt. She gave the go for conversion and my mother has one she is giving me too so I'll probably make two and let them overlap in the middle (no frosty butt here!) I may have to truck it to the site, but will be warm down under. lol

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    sweet can't wait to see it finished. happy trails

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp