Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great review. Here are some of my personal comparisons. I recently sold my Traveler double 1.7 and got the WL Lite Owl double 1.1 to replace it. I got a chance to lay in my Lite Owl for the first time this morning and it's definitely a keeper. Very comfortable. The extra length offsets the narrower width compared to the Traveler for getting a comfortable diagonal lay. I didn't feel confined at all. If the hammock were shorter I probably would not care for the Lite Owl as it would likely restrict how diagonal you could get which is why the SB Light Hiker hammock I had last year didn't work out for me (similar width but shorter restricting diagonal lay).

I personally really liked the shock cord side tensioners on the Lite Owl. I didn't find it necessary to draw it in at the head end but it did seem to help at the foot end to form a foot box to secure my feet. As mentioned in the video if using an under quilt it can help to keep the top quilt in the Traveler when getting out however for me that was only the case when I used a full length under quilt. I generally use a partial length under quilt and for me the foot end of the quilt still fell out of the Traveler onto the ground virtually every time I got out. I also had a difficult time keeping my feet in the Traveler when sleeping in the hammock due to the floppy sides that always wanted to lay flat. I could somewhat alleviate that issue switching my head to the right / feet to the left. No idea why that worked better for me with the Traveler. This however was not an issue at all for me with the Lite Owl even with the shock cord loosened at the foot end but I still liked it best with it tightened up just a bit. Kinda reminded me of the Blackbird foot box.

All in all I really like the Wilderness Logics hammock. I intend to use it for cold weather when bugs aren't an issue but I may even consider getting the bug net for it and trying it out for really hot muggy weather in the summer. I'd guess it would have a bit more airflow than the Blackbird since it has less ripstop fabric on the sides.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Nice comparison, watch all your video's and you do a great job.....keep it up and thanks

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Your remote control works good. I’ve got one for my Kodak and it’s not much chop. I’ve had my eye on a Traveller hammock and will probably get one some day – already got four hammocks, one more can’t hurt. SNOW! Finally, I got to see snow in one of your videos! You and snow look good together! I’ve always thought your area of the world should have snow, now I thought right. Looks like the Snip is made for long people.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Great personal review. Gives a good comparisson of each. Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    Blaze you have become one of my favorite video makers on this site. You know who would be #1. However you have a great warm feel to your videos.

Thanks and keep banging out those videos and trips

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Images
    Hi Blaze,
    Excellent review of these two hammocks.

I hope my review and post on the snipe did not mislead you in your
    purchase of a snipe.

For me all the advantages I listed are well worth 3.5 oz.

Thanks again for a great video.
    You are a very knowledgeable hammock guy and outdoorsman
    and I trust your unbiased honest reviews.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-29-2012 at 10:39.

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Blazeaway,
    Very nice video
    I had to laugh, though :
    "..why would i bring 100 grams extra?" Why worry about the 100 grams when you're wearing leather pants, man?

BF

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Creek View Post
    Excellent comparison and great video. I am in the market for a new set up and have been eying the 'longer' Wilderness Logics set ups. Your comparing/contrasting them answered a lot of questions that I have been thinking about. Thank you for taking the time to address covering each hammock set up with two different styles of tarps. That is a very important component that should go hand in hand when choosing the hammock. It opened my eyes a bit.

My visual perception was that you laid a little flatter in the longer set up.
    It is good to know comfort was equal between the two.
    As I see it both are great hammocks, though for the reasons stated in the video, I will bring the Traveler when hiking.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    great review and video and very informative description of both hammocks. Keep on hanging and videoing as its great information your giving everybody.
    Thanks Acer. Will do.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Thanks Blazeaway, great topic. This really helps with understanding what makes for a comfortable hammock.

Still I'm intreagued with the snipe, I can imagine myself enjoying it for indoors when the dogs are curled up with me and I'm reading.

Keep up with the videos!

David
    David, the Snipe is a great hammock with features like the drawcords at foot and head ends, which the Traveler lacks. Furthermore, the color black is very beautiful for a hammock. But as you know by now, I am a Traveler man.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    are those your leather pants Blaze?!?!
    A LOT of set up time to do this vid--very much appreciated! Time is money right.
    Longer hammock (snipe)=longer tarp required=more grams...I see your point.
    So good to see snow Blaze....send some our way.
    Always love seeing the environ....would love to see it in person--group hang in your backyard?
    'The last Traveler' dammmmmm how many do you have!
    OK another excellent vid Blaze.
    I haven’t had them off for at least 12 years, so to speak. Don’t know why, but I seem to like them.
    And on time you are wrong. In my line of business, that is enjoying my otium, time is free.
    And for the upcoming backyard hang I will hang in one of my three Traveler hammocks.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Great comparison! Always love your videos Blaze.
    I am studying the Lite Owl because a double hammock works best for me as I sometimes add a pad.(Saved my butt in Florida!)
    Now if someone could do a comparison on the Lite Owl & a Double Traveler..Hint Hint MM.
    Glad you liked it, Cakes. I enjoyed making it, though I have not been pleased with the video. It bears the mark of an amateur, but then again that is what I am.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Wander'nFool View Post
    Thanks, Blaze. I have been going back and forth in choosing between these two hammocks and your video was "very" helpful.

Much Appreciated.
    Good one, Wander’nFool.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I'm rather short @ 5'7" and I couldn't tell much difference in lay between my DIY Nano7 or my DIY Traveler (a similar equivalent to your two lengths). I'm also short on money, so I had to DIY them, maybe that makes a difference.
    Shug is always hanging in his DIY GreenBean hammock. Well done, DIY should be superior to money. And it is full of creative joy.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You are a Traveller man at heart it seems.
    I still like my DIY GreenBean hammock......it has my heart.
    But I am looking forward to more Sniping.
    Never have I ever even laid in a Traveller so I know not what I may be missing.
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug
    You are missing nothing Shug. An open gathered end hammock, when well made, makes for the best possible hang IMHO.
    Blaze

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
    Blaze, Great Video ! So, I guess you like the "Traveler" I too have one. And it's super.
    Yes, I am a Traveler man as Shug put it. And all considered the Traveler is my favorite Hammock.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Great review. Here are some of my personal comparisons. I recently sold my Traveler double 1.7 and got the WL Lite Owl double 1.1 to replace it. I got a chance to lay in my Lite Owl for the first time this morning and it's definitely a keeper. Very comfortable. The extra length offsets the narrower width compared to the Traveler for getting a comfortable diagonal lay. I didn't feel confined at all. If the hammock were shorter I probably would not care for the Lite Owl as it would likely restrict how diagonal you could get which is why the SB Light Hiker hammock I had last year didn't work out for me (similar width but shorter restricting diagonal lay).

I personally really liked the shock cord side tensioners on the Lite Owl. I didn't find it necessary to draw it in at the head end but it did seem to help at the foot end to form a foot box to secure my feet. As mentioned in the video if using an under quilt it can help to keep the top quilt in the Traveler when getting out however for me that was only the case when I used a full length under quilt. I generally use a partial length under quilt and for me the foot end of the quilt still fell out of the Traveler onto the ground virtually every time I got out. I also had a difficult time keeping my feet in the Traveler when sleeping in the hammock due to the floppy sides that always wanted to lay flat. I could somewhat alleviate that issue switching my head to the right / feet to the left. No idea why that worked better for me with the Traveler. This however was not an issue at all for me with the Lite Owl even with the shock cord loosened at the foot end but I still liked it best with it tightened up just a bit. Kinda reminded me of the Blackbird foot box.

All in all I really like the Wilderness Logics hammock. I intend to use it for cold weather when bugs aren't an issue but I may even consider getting the bug net for it and trying it out for really hot muggy weather in the summer. I'd guess it would have a bit more airflow than the Blackbird since it has less ripstop fabric on the sides.
    I fully concur with you Pizza. And you are right, using a 3/4 length UQ on the Traveler will get your TQ on the ground.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
    Nice comparison, watch all your video's and you do a great job.....keep it up and thanks
    Thanks Loneoak.
    Will do.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Your remote control works good. I’ve got one for my Kodak and it’s not much chop. I’ve had my eye on a Traveller hammock and will probably get one some day – already got four hammocks, one more can’t hurt. SNOW! Finally, I got to see snow in one of your videos! You and snow look good together! I’ve always thought your area of the world should have snow, now I thought right. Looks like the Snip is made for long people.
    Bruciehi5, you have a long way to go.
    I have 10 hammocks.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    Great personal review. Gives a good comparisson of each. Thanks!
    You are welcome, 2TallWv
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    Blaze you have become one of my favorite video makers on this site. You know who would be #1. However you have a great warm feel to your videos.

Thanks and keep banging out those videos and trips

BEAS
    Thanks a lot, BEAS.
    Yeah, Shug’s the man.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Blaze,
    Excellent review of these two hammocks.

I hope my review and post on the snipe did not mislead you in your
    purchase of a snipe.

For me all the advantages I listed is well worth 3.5 oz.

Thanks again for a great video.
    You are a very knowledgeable hammock guy and outdoorsman
    and I trust your unbiased honest reviews.
    Thanks OutandBack.
    No, you and Shug just helped me get the Snipe and for that I am grateful. When I started hanging I decided that since it was such a limited playing field, I would gather as much knowledge about the different gear as possible.
    I am still working at it.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot2 View Post
    Blazeaway,
    Very nice video
    I had to laugh, though :
    "..why would i bring 100 grams extra?" Why worry about the 100 grams when you're wearing leather pants, man?

BF
    You got a big point there, Bigfoot2
    Even worse, I tend to bring a cook kit that weighs 542 grams, when I have them as light as they come.
    Blaze
    Last edited by BlazeAway; 01-29-2012 at 10:07.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    thanks for the vid blaze - you have an accurate, but not dry style - it made me look at my existing gear from a new angle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast