ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies

UQ tips and tricks

I have a 20* Incubator and am beginning to realize there is much more to this than cinching and venting. For example, I read somewhere on HF about turning the UQ over in warm weather to compress the down so you won't overheat. Brilliant! What are some other ideas for hanging, packing, storing, cleaning, etc.?
    Last edited by Chattooga; 01-28-2012 at 14:15. Reason: correct spelling

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Usually when using an under quilt, your top quilt is rated at or about the same thing. For example, you're using a 20 degree under quilt, your top quilt will most likely be a 20 or 30 degree rated quilt. I've found that if I'm drasticly overheating, If I change my top quilt for a summer rated one, that I'm able to sleep much more comfortably. Course this does take some preplanning to know which quilts to pack and usually this is a solution that I can only use on car camping type trips. That's because I can pack all the gear I want and keep it in my truck.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Inverting a synthetic UQ will also reduce its effectiveness, learned that one night last year.

On warm nights, if my back is just too warm, I will loosen my UQ suspension to create an air gap, you can take 10-20 deg of your rating fast with an air gap.

I like the UQ rated warmer than the TQ. For me a little overrated because I tend to sleep cold. If my back is cold I'm done. I'd rather have my back a little warm an adjust on top. If I'm cool from top a fleece will fix that. Doesn't help much if the UQ isn't adequate.

I did 35deg last fall with an REI 35deg mummy bag as a TQ, no fleece, just smartwool mid. I had about 2.5 in of Climashield under me, my back was roasty toasty. (I've been cold in that bag in a tent in warmer weather)

My current UQ design is ~54"L and I carry a chunk of ensolite for under my calves and feet. I've never had to do it but I figure I could use the foam under my back and put extra clothes into my footbox or use my PFD under my feet.
    Last edited by Merganser; 02-04-2012 at 19:33.

In a worst case scenario you can work the down in the foot end shelf into the main part to help boost it's rating. Then you could probably just take the frame pad out of your backpack to use under your feet.

• + New Posts