Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    The skeeters were out last weekend.

Not sure if you were planning to order the Eno bugnet online or not, but if you're close to an REI in San Antonio and you have a sewing machine or a significant other with one, there's some directions somewhere for modifying the $14 bugnet from REI to make a nice one for your hammock. You could save a good $30+ that way.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    The skeeters were out last weekend.

Not sure if you were planning to order the Eno bugnet online or not, but if you're close to an REI in San Antonio and you have a sewing machine or a significant other with one, there's some directions somewhere for modifying the $14 bugnet from REI to make a nice one for your hammock. You could save a good $30+ that way.
    Thanks for the advice corncob, but a seamstress I am not (nor is my wife). That being said, I do have a pattern for a peak bag that I might try my hand at soon!

Well, so much for $60. ENO BugNet on it's way! We might need to get you folks out here further West sometime; out of the swamps and into the hills! *laugh*
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed." -- Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild)

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Talking Can pizza come too from MN?

I'm planning on doing a little road trip from MN to Texas and would like to stop by the hang at least for a day maybe 2? I'd probably get there sometime Friday the 23rd. Got my vacation request in at work and shouldn't have any issues getting it approved.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I'm planning on doing a little road trip from MN to Texas and would like to stop by the hang at least for a day maybe 2? I'd probably get there sometime Friday the 23rd. Got my vacation request in at work and shouldn't have any issues getting it approved.
    Sweet! I think a few of us will be trickling in before the "official hang" on Saturday. I got my Friday off request approved, and seriously thinking about leaving from work on Thursday (about 5hr drive). Would have to setup after dark, but hey I'll be outdoors! Look forward to meeting you.
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed." -- Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild)

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Come on down.

Just don't bring any of that snow with ya.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Come on down.

Just don't bring any of that snow with ya.
    Funny, we hardly have gotten any snow this year up here but I'm looking forward to some warmer temps down your way. Should be a fun time.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200 w/ ridgeline & NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark XL (x2)
    If I'm onshore, I think I can make it.

Never been to a group hang so I will probably have plenty of questions.

I would like to try to make it, I will have to check with the boyfriend to see what his work schedule is for the weekend, and find somebody to watch the dog. As we are new to hanging, it would be fun to see everyone else's setup.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

Site Intel

Spoke today with some folks who have used the Equestrian Primitive Site at Brazos a great deal. Some things noted:

1. We should have the site pretty much to ourselves. Hardly anyone goes out there to camp. Most use of the site is day trips by folks riding their horses. Expect horses on a good portion of the trail.

2. Its a long drive down Sawmill Road to get to the site and the site is much more primitive than the other primitive area on the Park. (Remember that you will have to go to Park HQ to register and pay fees, then go back out again to get to Sawmill Road, which is north of the main entrance). There aren't even any picnic tables.

3. Expect skeeters, and prolly other flying things (and my experience tells me that on certain parts of the trail, expect chiggers).

4. Expect both deer and hogs---in the campsite area. She suggested I bring my dog to keep the hogs away. Don't know if I will, I'll have to figure out which will be worse, hogs running around, or the dog barking at them.

The site is remote. There's nothing out there but the river. One way in and one way out. The hose bib that is out there is new and, if I understood correctly, is fed from a storage tank, not a well. Bring lots of water so that you have some you can trust, or treat on site.

She said there were PLENTY of trees in the site. If its like most of the rest of the Park it should be a mix of post oak and other hardwoods.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Spoke today with some folks who have used the Equestrian Primitive Site at Brazos a great deal. Some things noted:

1. We should have the site pretty much to ourselves. Hardly anyone goes out there to camp. Most use of the site is day trips by folks riding their horses. Expect horses on a good portion of the trail.

2. Its a long drive down Sawmill Road to get to the site and the site is much more primitive than the other primitive area on the Park. (Remember that you will have to go to Park HQ to register and pay fees, then go back out again to get to Sawmill Road, which is north of the main entrance). There aren't even any picnic tables.

3. Expect skeeters, and prolly other flying things (and my experience tells me that on certain parts of the trail, expect chiggers).

4. Expect both deer and hogs---in the campsite area. She suggested I bring my dog to keep the hogs away. Don't know if I will, I'll have to figure out which will be worse, hogs running around, or the dog barking at them.

The site is remote. There's nothing out there but the river. One way in and one way out. The hose bib that is out there is new and, if I understood correctly, is fed from a storage tank, not a well. Bring lots of water so that you have some you can trust, or treat on site.

She said there were PLENTY of trees in the site. If its like most of the rest of the Park it should be a mix of post oak and other hardwoods.
    Bring the dog ... I hate hogs waking me up in the night!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast