Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Just There

I was just at the park this afternoon looking for a site for the RV. RV campsites were all full. I bet I could have found two trees to hang my hammock. Not sure what I would with my wife. She want power for the TV.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    @sargevining : Thanks for the reply on my other call out on TX hangouts. This sounds really exciting. I'm in! I live about 90 miles west of San Antonio, so it'll be a little bit of a drive, but nothing for us Texans.

This will be my first hangout, so any info you can shoot me is welcomed on what to bring and what to expect. I'm not a noobie backpacker so I know what I need gear wise in that respect, just new at going airborne! Just need to know if there are other group activities that contributions are expected, fees, site registrations, etc.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cashkeith View Post
    @sargevining : Thanks for the reply on my other call out on TX hangouts. This sounds really exciting. I'm in! I live about 90 miles west of San Antonio, so it'll be a little bit of a drive, but nothing for us Texans.

This will be my first hangout, so any info you can shoot me is welcomed on what to bring and what to expect. I'm not a noobie backpacker so I know what I need gear wise in that respect, just new at going airborne! Just need to know if there are other group activities that contributions are expected, fees, site registrations, etc.
    Most folks don't know that most Texans routinely drive 20 miles for take out pizza, and will drive 40 miles to get to a good Tex Mex restaraunt.

Only fees are the Park fees. Keep an eye on this thread. I'll be going down on Thursday to get the camp sites. I'm still working on reserving some ahead of then.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban Hex
    Insulation
    UQ/AHE, TQ/HG
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I am planning a section hike on the AT in Oct. and putting together gear now. Hope to have most the gear selected and acquired before the March hang so I can join in the fun. Besides, I need to learn a thing or two from everyone. New to the hang and looking forward to it.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Bump to top

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    We are going to park and hike into the camping area, right?

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    We are going to park and hike into the camping area, right?
    Yes. At least that was my understanding. Meet at the TH @11'ish, hike about 3 mi. to site.
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed." -- Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild)

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cashkeith View Post
    Yes. At least that was my understanding. Meet at the TH @11'ish, hike about 3 mi. to site.
    You have several options.

1. Show up with me on Thursday and reserve a campsite or two (I'm showing up a day early as belts and suspenders on what the park has promised). Car camp at the campsites from then until you want to go home, and shuttle down to the Trail Head on Saturday to hike back to camp, or hang out at the camp for as long as you want.

2. Show up on Friday with the same intent.

3. Show up on Saturday as described.

I have just spoken to Steve Killian at the Park. The nuts and bolts are this:

I will show up when the Park Opens on Thursday and reserve 3 sites---enough for 24 people, about two times the number who have expressed interest so far. He has already made note that we are coming and is expecting us. As you arrive, you will report in at Park HQ, let them know you are with the Hammock Campers at the Equestrain Primitve site, pay your fees and get your passes. If you plan on parking at the trail head and hiking in, you will need to let them know so that they can give you a sticker which will let them know that your parked car does not represent a lost hiker.

If you are hiking in: Drive to Hale Lake and park. I will be there as early as I can on Saturday and guide the trail if you don't know it or are unsure of your map reading skills. I plan on hiking it both ways on Thursday. We'll take off at 11:00. I'll post my cell number so you can call if you're running late or won't be showing up.

If you want to car camp, the Park will give you a gate access code for the Equestian Area and you will drive back out of the park and go to that entrance. Please note that I will be playing by the rules and will not be giving that code out to anyone not registered with the park.

Also note:

There is one porta potty and the nearest potable water is a hose bib about 3/4 of a mile from the campsite. Those of you hiking to the site should pass by it on your way in. Those who are car camping should bring an ample supply of water, perhaps more than you think you might need.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Kammok Pythons
    It's gonna be about a 5hr. trip for me ( http://g.co/maps/v7cun ), so I'm gonna try to maybe get Friday off too. Not that one day will be fun enough, but driving that far it would be more worth it if I at least got two nights out. I work for a school district though and we have Spring Break the week before so it can be tricky getting extra time so close to a break. (*fingers and toes crossed*) -ck
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed." -- Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild)

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Head out at midnight Thursday and I'll cook you breakfast when you get there (think SPAM). The you can nap all day long while I scout the trail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast