Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I may be a solo on this one but am still planning on coming. I plan to car camp and day hike, (that way I can bring some show and tell gear in case anyone is interested in looking and maybe a dutch oven if I feel like creative cooking.) Or I may change my mind and hike in if I can get there before the park closes for the day.

My plan at this point is to arrive on Thursday before dark but I don't see a way to get there before 5PM so I may be in need of late arrival car camping instructions if the gate closes early.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I know I should have paid closer attention or asked earlier, but do I need to make a site reservation or simply cover my entry/day use fees, (with my park pass ), and then contribute to whoever is paying?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I know I should have paid closer attention or asked earlier, but do I need to make a site reservation or simply cover my entry/day use fees, (with my park pass ), and then contribute to whoever is paying?
    ^^ didn't even think about that. What are the details?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    According to the conversation I had with Steve Killian, we can reserve a couple of sites at the Equestrian upon arrival and each participant will pay on entry. I get the impression that he is glad to have people use this site and is making accomodations to make it happen. Brazos Bend is going to get more than its share of day use and overnight car camping than some other TPWD sites due to its close proximity to a major urban center. Even the Primitive area on the main park can be considered mjore of a car camping site than anything else. The Equestrian site is difficult for most campers to use as it does involve going to and then leaving the park to get into it. That's good news for folks like us who would pretty much prefer primitive sites not readily accessible to car campers.

I do think it would be advisable for us to claim campsites close to the trail head rather than those close to Sawmill Road. The horse folks will be active in that art of the site movng trailers around and off loading/loading their horses.

Don't forget to bring all the water you think you will be needing. There's only one hose bib about a quarter mile down the trail, and ts my understanding that its hooked up to a tank and not a well.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    My plan at this point is to arrive on Thursday before dark but I don't see a way to get there before 5PM so I may be in need of late arrival car camping instructions if the gate closes early.
    I'll be there. I'm pretty sure we'll get cell phone service, so hit me up when you arrive.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I've got a call in to Steve Killian regarding the Thursday nite procedures and will post the results here in about an hour or so (he's at lunch). Basically, I'll be checking to see if its OK for someone to give out the gate code for late arrivals with the caveat that we all go down and pay our fees first thing Friday morning.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    If you can, ask about access to the Equestrian area due to all this rain. Some of us don't have 4-wheel drive vehicles anymore. Some of us drive slot cars!

Tell Steve not to worry. He won't meet a better bunch of folks. Besides, tell him I'm a LEO (brother-in-blue) and will vouch for these guys.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'll be there. I'm pretty sure we'll get cell phone service, so hit me up when you arrive.
    Thanks Alan, good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I've got a call in to Steve Killian regarding the Thursday nite procedures and will post the results here in about an hour or so (he's at lunch). Basically, I'll be checking to see if its OK for someone to give out the gate code for late arrivals with the caveat that we all go down and pay our fees first thing Friday morning.
    I'm a cheap date as far as fees. I've been a park pass holder for years so my entry/day use fees and those of my passengers if I have them are covered and all I will need to do is pay for my site or if sharing a site, pay my share.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    If you can, ask about access to the Equestrian area due to all this rain. Some of us don't have 4-wheel drive vehicles anymore. Some of us drive slot cars!

Tell Steve not to worry. He won't meet a better bunch of folks. Besides, tell him I'm a LEO (brother-in-blue) and will vouch for these guys.
    +1 on good bunch of folks. Alan, TCBTX, Sandpiper and I have camped together for several years at numerous TPWD state parks along with some of the others on this thread who have mentioned an interest in going. We follow the rules and leave in such a way that we and other hammock hangers are welcomed back. In fact some of us are now known favorably as the "hammock guys" at more than one state park.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    OK;

Just got off the phone wth Steve Killian. Whoever shows up first Thursday will need to have in hand $51.00. That covers (3) campsites and 3 adult day use fees, the minimum that would be incurred for three campsites. Later arrivals will settled up with him. Anyone who says Thursday night will need to go to Park HQ to pay the fees they might owe for any other days/nights they will be staying at the site. Everyone else will need to pay day use fees and split any further campsite fees.

Sound good?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Everyone else will need to pay day use fees and split any further campsite fees.
    Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks for following up with the info.

I'll be there Thursday after hours, (ETA 5:30-6:00), and will settle with my entry fee on Friday and bring small unmarked bills to pay my share of the Thursday night and Friday night camp site fee for myself and my son, Texas Longhorn. (yep, not going to solo this trip after all! )

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast