DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    This topic was pretty hot when I joined the site about year and a half ago. If you search for it, I am sure it will turn up. It does seem pretty sad that the state hasn't taken the steps to correct this (as far as I know). But, zero tolerance (in numerous topics) is so easy to push through the rule books, even when common sense should be the judge.

If you live in the northern part of the state, jump across to Georgia or Alabama. If you live further south, make it a long weekend.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    If you live in the northern part of the state, jump across to Georgia or Alabama. If you live further south, make it a long weekend.
    STinGa
    Thank you for the hospitality
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images
    Over a month ago I started a thread to deal with educating "the powers that be," http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43858, unfortunately most people thought I was just crying wolf....and ought to let the subject drop.

Now that you have experienced the "sharp end of the enforcement stick", do you think us hangers need to become more proactive?"
    Last edited by WalksInDark; 01-29-2012 at 22:05. Reason: typing error

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I'll start by saying I'm an avid hammocker...AND I work for the Florida Park Service as a Park Ranger.

I see both sides of the coin.

The problem is not with experienced hammockers. The problem is with inexperienced hammockers. Experienced hammockers know to use tree straps and minimize impact. Inexperienced hammockers do ridiculous things like using nails and eye screws in trees and everything else imaginable (I've seen it all).

Believe it or not, experienced hammockers are a minority. If an experienced hanger were allowed to camp, the folks who don't know how properly would want to hammock camp, too. My understanding is that the Park Service wants to try and avoid problems before they start. Rather than institute a bunch of rules for proper hammocking, they must have decided it's just easier to not have anyone hanging.

Disclaimer:
    I'm not claiming to be an official spokesperson representing the State on this issue. I'm just a State employee and a fellow hanger passing along the info I've been offered when I asked about it.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post
    Over a month ago I started a thread to deal with educating "the powers that be," http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43858, unfortunately most people thought I was just crying wolf....and ought to let the subject drop.

Now that you have experienced the "sharp end of the enforcement stick", do you think us hangers need to become more proactive?"
    If left unchecked, I do think it could happen in other places. If there is noone lobbying for our rights as hammock campers, who knows what kind of laws could be passed.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksInDark View Post

Probably so. But in the meantime, a thought for the OP:
    As you hung your hammock without asking, and they did not nail you on it until close to dark, how about in the future just putting your tent up 1st, and then after dark hanging your tarp and hammock. And blocking the view of your hammock from the road with the tarp. Will they allow a tarp tied to the trees? (not at some places) If so, put the tent and tarp up, then hang the hammock at night and hit the sack. They are not as likely to come check your site after dark.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    I'll start by saying I'm an avid hammocker...AND I work for the Florida Park Service as a Park Ranger.

The problem is not with experienced hammockers. The problem is with inexperienced hammockers. Experienced hammockers know to use tree straps and minimize impact. Inexperienced hammockers do ridiculous things like using nails and eye screws in trees and everything else imaginable (I've seen it all).

Believe it or not, experienced hammockers are a minority. If an experienced hanger were allowed to camp, the folks who don't know how properly would want to hammock camp, too. My understanding is that the Park Service wants to try and avoid problems before they start. Rather than institute a bunch of rules for proper hammocking, they must have decided it's just easier to not have anyone hanging.

Disclaimer:
    I'm not claiming to be an official spokesperson representing the State on this issue. I'm just a State employee and a fellow hanger passing along the info I've been offered when I asked about it.
    Thanks, that is good to know, on all issues.
    Last year I was at Hontoon Island for a day hike with the clan and had my hammock set up near the picnic area. I talked with the ranger about the tree straps and he was very interested. He liked the design and purpose and let me leave it up.
    I think it's all of our responsibility to educate each ranger until a permanent change can occur.
    Happy hanging.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post

Disclaimer:
    Thank you for your input. I understand the need for some kind of law, just not one that excludes a group of people. What if they passed a law that noone could camp because a few don't pick up their trash. These kinds of laws don't just punish the troublemakers, but the responsible campers as well. I do not blame the park ranger, as he was only enforcing the rules. I do believe there should be an amendment to the law, to allow the use of tree huggers. The state of Florida is also losing potential revenue from people who will just hang elsewhere. Some of my friends were in RV and some in tents, and all thought it was a rediculous rule. I love my state. My state lawmakers, not so much.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    yes diplomacy is a good thing, letters too, but in the mean time ~and this post hanging in 8 Florida State parks=when the ranger drives by on his little golf cart he sees my ticket on the post and he sees my REI half dome tent on the tent pad and he drives on. In the bush 10feet or 20 yards behind the tent hangs my hammock. Wrong, yes I guess it could be considered so...so that says a lot about me because I sleep good at night.

Hammock
    Wbbb, BMBH, Clark nx270, wbrr,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB webbing, python
    Another option would be to hang Between two vehicles using their roof racks.
    I've hung between the rack on my explorer and a tree and it worked fine. I was just testing in case I found myself with only one tree to work with. If you are car camping with friends, there might be a chance that you could find something that would work.

It sure beats sleeping in a tent.
    Last edited by Guitarman; 01-30-2012 at 23:13. Reason: Added some info.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast