Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    shake the boots in the morning to make sure the spiders and other critters didn't take up a hotel suite for the night. I do have a dream every now and then about bears running underneath and spinning me around like a pinata.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBait View Post
    Now when I used to sleep on the ground with just a tarp over me, that was another story
    LOL... my wife calls my hammock a "bear pinata!" But then, she has an ENO herself, with no bug net so far.

If the weather is nice, I often sleep on the ground under the stars ("cowboy camp"). Hollywood would make scared-cats out of all us, but I've only heard of one person I actually, personally know, who was bitten by a snake. And he wasn't camping, he was cleaning up some debris around an old building. Snakes are no real danger to campers, not nearly the danger of driving to the trailhead.

My daughter and I saw bear each and every day of the week we "thru-hiked" the Shenandoah National Park. Similar to snakes, they all ran away from us. Pretty much, the rule of thumb is, the larger the critter, the less the danger, the smaller the critter, the greater the danger. It's the mosquitoes and ticks that you need to watch out for, not the snakes and bears.

One trick with shoes and boots. Pull your socks over the top of them each night. Keeps the little creatures out.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Thanks for the replies guys, the eno is what'll i will go with for starters. I may go with one of the warbonnet tarps in the future.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    The Eno will do you well. You might also consider Warbonnet's bugnet which is really nice. It should do well with an Eno.

I don't worry about snakes in a hammock. One time I did have a caterpillar make his way down the suspension and onto my arm. Woke up real fast.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Popsmoke63B View Post
    I'm new to hammock camping, and i'm on the verge of buying my first; the only thing hampering my decision on which to get is the fact that some are open (Eno, wildernss logics, etc...), and some close off (Warbonnet, Hennessey, etc...).

Price plays a role also. I have to buy 3 hammocks in all for myself, my wife, and my son. I tried an Eno, and loved it, but I'm in the south (TN) and spring and summer will soon be here, and so will the snakes!
    You'll be fine.

just don't violate rule # 22.... never go to bed in your hammock after fishing and filleting all day and not wash that smell off your hands and shirt. Cause you'll have raccoons sniffing the bottom of your hammock all night.

Don't ask me how I know that rule....
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Clark NX 150
    Tarp
    XL
    Insulation
    20 deg Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I do mostly late fall/winter camping so that isn't something I deal with (snakes and bugs that is)

Hammock
    Dutchware 11foot
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Snugpak w/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Toggle
    So far in my limited outings I have been more worried about the feral hogs in the area running into me in the night. No bug net yet for me since it is cold enough but that will be needed soon and should keep the creepy crawlies out that may want to investigate.

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I was in my warbonnet blackbird on its maiden voyage here in PA. The second night on the trail I woke up to a wet nose. Kind of disturbing knowing the bugnet was zippered shut. So I clenched the gluteus maximus and opened one eye to see the husky from 2 campsites down the trail. A little flick on the snout and I was back to slumber land.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've been camping on and off for years and never had a problem with Mr. sneaky snake. I wouldn't worry about it. Most of what we have here in TN to worry about are the water kind anyway. And, welcome from west TN.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

I DO keep a WATCHFUL eye around dead trees that still have their leaves as those are like juvi rattler oasis' and it's the small ones that get you, aside from the generally few and far between and how off the trail they usually are, it's not really hard to avoid. Like others have said, make noise

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Just be careful where you stepping at night and be careful collecting wood.
    Otherwise respect them and leave them alone. In Australia you get used to them. Got brown snakes in the backyard (second most poisonous snake) and had a redbelly black snacke under my therm a rest two years ago...so what.. u get used to them and adapt your behaviour.
    Don't worry to much!
    one thing- I always carry is a snake bite kit to be able to do a preassure immobilization bandage if I hike in the woods...
    yakass.net

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast