Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Payment and shipping info sent yesterday.
    Terry

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Where can I find said "spreadsheet" link. Sorry if I missed it.

Oops found it
    Last edited by 2Tall; 02-03-2012 at 21:54. Reason: Im Blind

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TallWv View Post
    Where can I find said "spreadsheet" link. Sorry if I missed it.

Oops found it
    Post 37 in page 4. I'm on my iPad or I'd link you to it.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm late, but to offer this advice:

Priority Mail, when they are so light? USPS 1st class envelopes can be as heavy as 13oz anywhere in the country for $3.30.

Well, this is my very first post I think, though I have been an observer for a few weeks. I have a hike coming up on the AT at the end of March and would like to get some of this to try out before then.

Anyhow, I would be willing to purchase a box and do the same for others, or be a part of some other purchase. That said, we should wait to hear the results of the stuff first!

Hammock
    DIY 11' gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images
    Waiting is a good idea. When the time comes, I'm in for 3.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    I must have assumed it meant per square yard when I read that. We use these blankets in the OR to keep folks warm. I have only played with a few. I sent some to another forum member who is a DIY magician (no pressure! lol) and we'll see what comes of it. I think they would work for lightweight style blankets. I have no idea of the durability or packability but they are very light and throw back alot of heat from your body.

Really looking forward to what comes from this. Thanks guys for always pushing ideas on here.
    Crud... I have to DO something with these? I'm no magician... Illusionist? maybe... Heck, I got you fooled!

Yes, these are pretty light. Best I can tell it's a spun poly fabric that's been aluminized. They're "ok" warm, but IMHO, So Far, not as good as Insultex, but we'll see.

I have a test-bed UQ (ok, an UQ sized envelope of ripstop with drawstrings) I'm going to slide one in and see how warm it is... More to come...

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    You know WV I'm not sure. I tried to blow on them and couldn't feel anything on the other side, but it may just be a really tight weave. They should be pretty useful considering.
    Using the "breath test:" I don't think they're a vapor barrier, but pretty close, similar to IX, I think they'll breathe, but very little. more like a vapor resistor...

OK, Some details: the one I have is 4'x4', with rounded corners and a cutout for your head. If I ignore the cutout, and square it off, it's 16-sq ft = 1.78sq yds. Weight: 2.4oz. Oz/sq yd = 1.34oz. Of course with the missing fabric, it's probably more like 1.4-1.5oz/yd... so, yes, it's light, but not as light as 1.1 nylon.

Ideas for use:

If I had to guess, this will likely be similar to a space blanket when used between the hammock and an UQ, but with better breathability and a heck of a lot quieter. I'm wearing it like a cape, and it's definitely warm. It is hard to describe. It's not like having a blanket on you, it's like wearing a weak radiant space heater...

I wouldn't lay ON one of these, conduction will out-run reflection any day of the week. Reflectix has the advantage of being radiant reflector, and having some "loft" in a built-in air gap (ok, it's bubble wrap)... Try sitting on a space blanket on concrete... you'll still be cold...

Given their limited breathability, using one as an overcover (as sugessted above) will likely work well, but you'll need to leave SOME air holes to release moisture and get some air exchange.

In a survival situation, one of these built into the back wall of a lean-to would reflect fire-heat and keep you really warm...

I am going out on a limb here, but I am thinking this will work best when there's a small air gap between it and you. Super-form fitting and you will get conduction through the material. With an UQ, it would be best between the UQ and you, unless you're dealing with a lot of wind, then this on the outside would block the wind from robbing the heat from the UQ.

I like the Thermadrape UQ or TQ idea. I wonder how low you could go with just one, maybe 2 layers of this...

John

Other ideas?
    Last edited by JohnSawyer; 02-04-2012 at 03:31.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Well John,

Based on the AMK Thermolite Bivy this stuff, when used correctly, should give 10F* extra warmth to a sleeping bag.

I've been pondering a TQ that wil be IX, Thermoflect, Ripstop, one layer of each. If my calcs & guesstimates are correct; it should come in around 12oz and be comfortable to 35-40F*
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    Well John,

Based on the AMK Thermolite Bivy this stuff, when used correctly, should give 10F* extra warmth to a sleeping bag.

I've been pondering a TQ that wil be IX, Thermoflect, Ripstop, one layer of each. If my calcs & guesstimates are correct; it should come in around 12oz and be comfortable to 35-40F*
    I like that idea! But aren't radiant barriers better next to you? so: Thermoflect, IX, Ripstop?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    Well John,

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I like that idea! But aren't radiant barriers better next to you? so: Thermoflect, IX, Ripstop?
    Just so we cover all the possible permutations, I'd suggest ripstop close to you, then Thermoflect, then Ix. The ripstop is to prevent conductive heat loss from contact with the Thermoflect. Of course that may be duplicating the function of the thin fabric layer in the Thermoflect itself. I've been wondering how thick a layer you need to prevent conductive loss to other aluminized materials such as the shiny cuben or space blankets. (The Ix is just there to mess things up by being a vapor barrier on the outside. )

Aaron, I'm looking forward to trying my own combinations. Thanks for making this opportunity possible.

John, thanks for the measurements and ideas in Post #97 - exactly what we needed at this point. Can't wait to see what you make out of the larger sheets.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast