Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Can you hang on the West Coast Trail?

I can't find any info on this.

Hammocks allowed? If so, how are the sites for hammocks?
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

In case you didn't already have it, the official website for information on the WCT is http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/pacific...activ6a/v.aspx They don't have anything there to restrict the type of camping you do though and no mention of hammocks at all.

The trail follows along the shoreline mostly but also in the woods, sometimes with an option for either. Since this is a very popular trail, they restrict the numbers of hikers who enter each day and put an emphasis on minimal impact camping. As part of that, they indicate areas along the route that should be used for camping, all of which are at the shore. In only a couple of cases you have to descend to the shore so the choice of trees to hang is minimal if not absent. I did see people hang tarps using the driftwood logs (of which there is often much) so you might be able to rig something up that way which would be nice. In those instances though, you might have to go back onto the trail and hang there. Unless you made a real 'impact' with your site, I doubt anyone would have an issue and park officials are not roaming along looking for infractions. Common sense prevails!

I've been thinking about this same isssue recently as I've considered doing the trail again after nearly 10 years since my last hike there. I think the great thing about hammocks is that you could camp out on the ground if need be as long as you could hang a tarp for those rainy nights so I'd say go for it.

The best book for information on the trail (and possibly a source of info by email) would be the authors of the book 'Blisters and Bliss' written by a couple of guys who hiked the trail every year or two. I met them at a presentation a couple years back and they're very friendly and helpful. Just a couple of regular joes who filled a gap with a book, not 'authors' as such. It's a good read and well worth the investment!

If there's anything I can do for you from this end (Vancouver Island), just PM me and ask. The worst I could do is say 'no'
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the info. I will pick up that book.

I found this on the Hennessy website: http://hennessyhammock.com/articles/tips_from_users/

It looks like it could be tough to hang in some parts, he actually had to use some climbing nuts to anchor into rock. I guess I'll need to look into it a bit more.
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    There was an HF member from ontario who did the trail last year and had no trouble finding hanging spots,,mostly not at the beach.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Here's the link. I was doubtful he'd find spots but i was wrong. His report is on page 2

good luck.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t+trail&page=2

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow, good memory!

That post was very helpful.

Thank you.
    -MrClean417

I have "NO" idea if one could hang there but if you go please post a trip report with "LOTS" of pic's as this is super high on my bucket list!

Sorry I couldn't add to/help with your question!!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If I make the trip I will take some pics. I meant to go last year too, but I was informed that I will be using my vacay time with the Lady. Her going is not an option. She will only camp for two days at a time, cause that is as long as she is willing to hold it...

We shall see what this year brings.
    -MrClean417

Hammock
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Maybe your lady would be happier here

http://www.sookeoutdoors.com/juandefucatrail/

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Maybe your lady would be happier here

http://www.sookeoutdoors.com/juandefucatrail/
    Yes, that trail system links a bunch of beaches that are accessible all along the trail so you can start/stop at any point pretty much. Not nearly as tough or regulated in how many can be on the trail at any time.

By comparison, the west coast trail has only 1 point along where you could enter/leave via boat up an inlet to a native reservation that has road access. Actually, there is one other way off but you'll need to break a bone first to use it
    I can't buy something without first considering whether I could just make it myself instead. How'd I get so screwed up?

• + New Posts