Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I really like the footbox idea on your neutron hammock. The Snipe footbox, which is from Knotty's idea, keeps the quilts inside, but effectively narrows the width of the hammock to do so. Whereas your footbox adds material, like Warbonnet's BB.

The big advantage with your neutron mod is that you can do it on both sides of the hammock, and due to the shock cord, can still enter and exit from either side without ripping the hammock! IMHO, this is real step forward in hammock design!
    I haven't noticed a narrowing effect .. the snipe is 60'' wide and with the shock cord it still has the ability to extend to the maximum width .. the shock cord also allows one in ingress/egress without straining the hammock .. it does effectively take the floppy sides away from the gathered end style .. with the Snipe being 11 foot long this might be the reason .. on a shorter hammock the narrowing effect just might be incurred .. not having any experience in anything other then the Snipe with this design feature, I can only attest to the lack of narrowing effect to this hammock ..you wanna' feel narrow .. I'll loan you my Clark UL ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Good points, Black Wolf. So, Hangnouts footbox mod might be most beneficial in a narrow hammock (which I believe the neutron is). Perhaps one could save overall weight by making a hammock that is smaller, but add the additional amount of material for the footbox. The smaller hammock would weigh less, but maybe still be comfortable.

You know I've got to try this!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Good points, Black Wolf. So, Hangnouts footbox mod might be most beneficial in a narrow hammock (which I believe the neutron is). Perhaps one could save overall weight by making a hammock that is smaller, but add the additional amount of material for the footbox. The smaller hammock would weigh less, but maybe still be comfortable.

You know I've got to try this!
    This is dead on IMO. I was trying for a smaller double layer hammock for winter use. On the shorter width hammock the channel drawcord has little effect With a wide hammock there is enough material to form a footbox of sorts when using the shock cord in channel. Medicineman's hammock was made to size for him. If he put shock cord in the side channel it would have had little effect in forming a footbox area.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Two issues-both good.
    First-working with Jimmy Neutron and Mrs. Neutron to dial in a hammock fitted to me. We tried one longer and one shorter....so I saved weight in material and got just the length/width needed.
    Second-the loss of weight with a dialed in hammock left little room for 'scootching error' through the night, e.g. sliding off the hammock. The Hangnout mod allows for scootching error.
    Something beyond this though...it just feels cozy having the formed box-instantly took me to that happy Blackbird place.
    Now the question----please Hangnout----what was the weight penalty for the mod? My best guess was 2 ounces.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Now the question----please Hangnout----what was the weight penalty for the mod? My best guess was 2 ounces.
    No more than .75 oz I just weighed the components to make sure.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Oh my-that makes it an even better mod! and sorry for the mis info in the vid.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123