Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Blaze, thank you for the video. I like the idea. I actually like the first part of your second video better, as the like running from the ridgeline to the pole runs through the pull out tab, instead of pulling on it directly. When it gets windy, it would allow more freedom of movement for the tarp on the line, as the pull out tab can run freely along the line. In the second part of it, you have it attached directly to the pull out tab, which would cause more tension directly on the pull out (and thus more tension on the tarp stitching around the pull out).

I noticed that there seems to be a little more slack in the tarp material between the pull out tab and the end of the tarp at the ridgeline with that set up too. When you had it attached directly to the prussic at the ridgeline, the tarp seemed to be pitched more taut.

So, with your earlier video showing the ridgeline inside the tarp and outside the tarp, you stated that it looked better with it inside - a more taut pitch overall. With this video, you again show a full length ridgeline running outside the tarp. Have you tried it with this set up, but running inside the tarp? What about with a non-continuous ridgeline - just a line attached from the tree to the ring on each end?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Blaze, I like it. Looks great, I need to try that on my Superfly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    That's cool, nice mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Blaze I love it.
    So much better than a hiking pole to push a line up the tree.
    This is simple and will self adjust for any tarp angle. What a great idea.

thank you, I'm adding this to my tarp with pullout.

O&B
    Yeah, I think that modification is for keeps. Super glad you guys liked it.
    Blaze

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Blaze, thank you for the video. I like the idea. I actually like the first part of your second video better, as the like running from the ridgeline to the pole runs through the pull out tab, instead of pulling on it directly. When it gets windy, it would allow more freedom of movement for the tarp on the line, as the pull out tab can run freely along the line. In the second part of it, you have it attached directly to the pull out tab, which would cause more tension directly on the pull out (and thus more tension on the tarp stitching around the pull out).

I noticed that there seems to be a little more slack in the tarp material between the pull out tab and the end of the tarp at the ridgeline with that set up too. When you had it attached directly to the prussic at the ridgeline, the tarp seemed to be pitched more taut.

So, with your earlier video showing the ridgeline inside the tarp and outside the tarp, you stated that it looked better with it inside - a more taut pitch overall. With this video, you again show a full length ridgeline running outside the tarp. Have you tried it with this set up, but running inside the tarp? What about with a non-continuous ridgeline - just a line attached from the tree to the ring on each end?
    A non-continuous ridge line at each end will work perfect for this tarp, though the ease in setup from using a continuous ridge line is lost. As for taking the ridge line under the tarp, that would make for a setup with no beauty at display IMHO.
    Blaze

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    As for taking the ridge line under the tarp, that would make for a setup with no beauty at display IMHO.
    Blaze
    The other thing I don't like about under the tarp ridgelines is abrasion. I would think over time this could lead to unnecessary wear on your tarp from the line rubbing against the tarp.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    The other thing I don't like about under the tarp ridgelines is abrasion. I would think over time this could lead to unnecessary wear on your tarp from the line rubbing against the tarp.
    +1 on that Pizza.
    And about the setup I can add that I slept out this past night (-10*C / 14*F) and had to add some slack to the panel pull outs, because of snow buildup. Afterwards the snow just slid down by its self.
    Blaze
    Last edited by BlazeAway; 02-03-2012 at 07:14. Reason: Changed “tie outs” to “panel pull outs”

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    at loggerheads on this one. My mind gets frazzed with all the string=spagetti=mess in my stuff sack and in my head. Pole mod was the answer for me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Images
    I did this with my BMJ this weekend and was amazed at the extra room I got under the tarp. Thanks for the idea Blaze, enjoying your videos!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    at loggerheads on this one. My mind gets frazzed with all the string=spagetti=mess in my stuff sack and in my head. Pole mod was the answer for me.
    Yeah, all roade leads to Rome.
    Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
    I did this with my BMJ this weekend and was amazed at the extra room I got under the tarp. Thanks for the idea Blaze, enjoying your videos!
    Super.
    Blaze

Seems like a lot of work, but its a lot of fun to tinker and hey if it helped more power to you. I was thinking and looking at the side pulls on the tarp and I can't help but think that I would have done it the same way by putting the anchor lower on the pull out. I feel this is the strongest placement for the angle of the pull outs. If they were center and being pulled straight out from the tarp that would be the strongest but they aren't pulled this way. In my head I can picture the the strength coming from the high side of the tarp and a bit from the sides, as the pull out is taught, so by not being center and going lower he added strength to his design. Of coarse this is just my opinion, I'm proven wrong a lot.
    The superfly looks awesome, great setup.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JM129 View Post
    Seems like a lot of work, but its a lot of fun to tinker and hey if it helped more power to you. I was thinking and looking at the side pulls on the tarp and I can't help but think that I would have done it the same way by putting the anchor lower on the pull out. I feel this is the strongest placement for the angle of the pull outs. If they were center and being pulled straight out from the tarp that would be the strongest but they aren't pulled this way. In my head I can picture the the strength coming from the high side of the tarp and a bit from the sides, as the pull out is taught, so by not being center and going lower he added strength to his design. Of coarse this is just my opinion, I'm proven wrong a lot.
    The superfly looks awesome, great setup.
    I fully concure. Warbonnet has put the anchor point in the right place.
    Here is a little change in how I rig the Superfly.

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfoelwoIU3U

Best,
    Blaze

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast