Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

I've been lurking for a week or two and yesterday I finally decided to order a couple of the Claytor Expeditions with the small rain fly. I'm relatively new to backpacking and totally new to hanging while backpacking.

My question is, approximately what temperature should I expect to be comfortable to with Walmart Blue Foam inserted in the pocket under the hammock with a 20 degree bag? What about with a 1.5 in self inflating pad?

I'm planning on being in the Rockies during July/August. From the best I can tell, I can expect lows in the upper 30's to lower 40's.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freakflyer9999 View Post
    I've been lurking for a week or two and yesterday I finally decided to order a couple of the Claytor Expeditions with the small rain fly. I'm relatively new to backpacking and totally new to hanging while backpacking.

My question is, approximately what temperature should I expect to be comfortable to with Walmart Blue Foam inserted in the pocket under the hammock with a 20 degree bag? What about with a 1.5 in self inflating pad?

I'm planning on being in the Rockies during July/August. From the best I can tell, I can expect lows in the upper 30's to lower 40's.
    Welcome to the forum.

How comfy you are with pads will depend on factors such as being a warm/cold sleeper, hydration/nutrition, what your using as clothing, as well as others.
    A wally world 3/8" thick closed cell pad would get me down to around 35-40 degrees.
    Always remember to prepare for temps at least 10-15 degrees colder than you are expecting. Especially where your going.
    Scroll down to the bottom of this site and it will give some aproximate temp rating on pads. www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

Also be sure to check out this great site. www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html He is a member here.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 06-02-2008 at 21:07.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

I had looked at the table on speerhammocks.com, but wasn't really sure what it was telling me.

I had also looked over Jeff's site extensively, but again the information is somewhat confusing due to all the different setups that are described and the many variables as well as the fact that comfort is certainly not quantifiable.

I think that your answer is probably the most straight forward. I should be comfortable to somewhere in the upper 30's and with proper clothing possibly further. My intent is to carry enough clothing to be comfortable hiking in the morning hours. So worst case I just wear all of my clothing to bed and use my poncho underneath everything for a little additional insulation.

My real goal beyond being comfortable is to not overpack like I did on my first real backpacking trip a few weeks ago. Of course I could have slept naked in a blizzard I was so tired after lugging 40+ lbs up and down all day. My next major trip, every ounce will be justified or left at home.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    Yep, with your poncho under and the Wallyworld pad you should be fine. Remember you can put stuff between the poncho and the hammock, too -- I used leaves last fall and it was quite cozy.

As for not overpacking, you'll probably yo-yo a bit before you start getting it just right. Be sure you bone up your backcountry skills so you can replace gear with knowledge.

Just got back from the Rockies where I was able to try my hammock for the first time. I ended up using a 1/2" blue foam pad that I bought off ebay. It was a little wider than the Walmart pad. With that and my 15 degree bag, t-shirt, light t-shirt material pants and hiking socks, I was sweating through the night in sub 40 degree temps. (Probably closer to 30 degrees)

My Claytor Expedition was super comfortable other than my feet. They were a little crowded and my heels were getting a little pressure on the blisters I acquired while hiking in.

I slept on the ground the first night we arrived due to being in a campground that didn't allow tieing anything to the trees. The hammock was certainly much more comfy for the rest of the trip.

My 6'4" son-in-law also felt that the Claytor Expedition was comfy and roomy enough for him. I was kinda surprised that he fit it without any complaints, but he too much preferred it to sleeping on the ground.
    Last edited by freakflyer9999; 08-01-2008 at 10:20.

• + New Posts