Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

20 Rated Phoenix: Custom Prototype

So as many of you know I am a Hammock Gear junky. I just love Hammock Gear quilts I admit it. I have owned several Hammock Gear UQ's and TQ's from the oldest model to the newest. We all know that Stormcrow's and Jenny's quilts keep us toasty warm at night, are of excellent craftsmanship and quality, excellent customer service, and that Stormcrow is always coming up with new and innovative ideas on how to better fit his UQ's to a hammock.

So recently I ordered a custom 7D 20 Burrow (which I love in every possible way) and A 20 Phoenix M55 outer 7D inner (UQ weight 16.8 ounces). When I spoke with Stormcrow about these quilts he mentioned to me he had a few tricks up his sleeve to help improve the snugness of the UQ and prevent CBS. He also mentioned that he was adding draft collars to certain rated UQ's as well. We chatted about some of his ideas and IMHO they sounded great. One of them being a new oops almost slipped you'll have to wait on that one and the other was adding a piece of elastic band to the inner shell of the UQ horizontally to the vertical baffles under neath ones bottom in order to help lift the quilt up and better prevent CBS. In theory this sounded great and in actuality it worked even better.

I had a chance to test this new UQ this past weekend at the NJ Winter hang and I personally am a big fan of the new addition of the draft collars and especially the piece of elastic. I had no CBS and did not feel any drafts or cold spots underneath me. The UQ stayed in place and did not slip off me while I was soundly sleeping. When I slipped my hand underneath the UQ I could feel it hugging up against the hammock nice and tightly. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this piece of elastic makes your UQ magically float you still have to crank down on the shock cord pretty tightly to lift it but this piece of elastic just seemed to do the trick in raising the UQ just enough giving it that little bit of extra push upwards to really give a nice fit against ones body. However the one thing that I did notice was that by adding this piece of elastic it shortened the width of the UQ every so slightly. I personally did not find this to be a problem and still felt that my shoulders and arms were well covered. Between the new design and this piece of elastic the UQ really molds to a persons body well. And the best part of it yet is that Stormcrow still has so many ideas and tricks up his sleeve in an effort to continue improving the fit of his UQ's. One small step for a hanger, one giant steep for Under Quilts. Stormcrow cant wait to see what you come up with for my 40 Phoenix, probably by them you will of invented a self levitating UQ which dosent even require a suspension . We all know you got that hidden alien technology . So as always thanks for another great set of quilts and thanks for all your efforts in keeping this community warm. Now I just got to wait for you to come out with that pod

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting, Still waiting!!!!

And yes I know I need to weigh the TQ and post pics, Ill get around to it just been super busy.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I like the idea of the elastic, there always was a problem for me with a phoenix sagging under my butt yet being snug everywhere else. I thought I was the problem. Looks like there's an easy solution. Great!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    I like the idea of the elastic, there always was a problem for me with a phoenix sagging under my butt yet being snug everywhere else. I thought I was the problem. Looks like there's an easy solution. Great!
    Yep very easy solution. As well as adding one piece of elastic to the Phoenix, he is also experimenting with adding a couple pieces of elastic to an Incubator to help lift it as well.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like a warm idea. Gotta say, he's my favorite designer.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    Sounds like a warm idea. Gotta say, he's my favorite designer.

sorry couldn't resist
    "he's so hot right now"

great report on the quilt lrr--- always appreciate hearing about that guy from central ohio and his innovations.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post

sorry couldn't resist
    "he's so hot right now"

great report on the quilt lrr--- always appreciate hearing about that guy from central ohio and his innovations.
    HA awesome rip. Yeah their is always something new going on at Hammock Gear. That's why I keep ordering new quilts from them. They just keep getting better.

• + New Posts