Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Help with Tarp Repair needed

Hello all,

I had a mishap with the tarp over the weekend and now I need to repair it. I am thinking I should patch and sew this rip but I have never done a repair before so any and all advice is much appreciated. An easy to follow how-to on stitching nylon would be great also..... I feel myself catching the diy bug. I've got some GE silicone 2 and the stuff sac for the patch job. The tarp is a 12' x 9.6' guide tarp from Chinook.

Thanks everybody
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    That's a pretty good tear. First, the Chinook tarp is probably NOT silnylon, if it's like the one I've seen before. Second, you don't need to worry about the repair being sealed because it's at the edge of the tarp.

Third, because it's at a tie out, you will definitely need to sew a patch on it. There's already a reinforcing patch sewn at that tie out. I would make another the same size and follow the stitching that's already there. It look like the existing stitching stopped the rip from going any farther. I would also add a couple of lines of stitches perpendicular to the edge, to the left and right of the grommet, up to the existing stitch lines. Make sense?

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Detail Man, Thanks for the help. It makes sense but I have some questions. Should I stitch the perpendicular lines on the patch directly over the tear, so as to stitch the tear up as well? I was thinking about cutting the patch out of the stuff sack...... should I cut it a little over sized to I can roll the edges under to keep from fraying? Most of all, I could use some help with stitch patterns..... which ones to use, and how to do them. I haven't figured out my girlfriends sewing machine yet so I am going to hand sew this. Oh and the tarp is not silnylon it is a urethane coated nylon.

thanks

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Yet another reason grommets suck. This time with proof. Whatever you do, don't use the brass grommets anymore. Try to sew some grosgrain tabs on there if nothing else is on there for a tie out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    By golly you wouldn't believe how many times I kicked myself for not sewing webbing on to replace/cover the grommets. Especially after all the posts I read warning about using the grommets. I just kept putting it off...... well it caught up with me. Lesson learned.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Looks like it started on the upper edge of the grommet. Once a weakness developed, it progressed until it ripped in a straight line. It all started with that grommet cutting into one little spot.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=CHINOOK+TARP Hope this link from Hawk-eye works. It shows how to install some webbing as a tie out so there is less or no strain on the grommet. Works on my Chinook tarp.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Once you get the tear fixed, if you don't feel like sewing tieouts, I have used Grip Clips in place of my grommets (just placed them next to the grommets on the tarp). They have worked great and no need for sewing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Albertan, thank you for your reply but I cannot go to the link.... it says i'm not allowed..bummer. Those grip clips look like a great way to replace the grommets and add tie outs to the inner section of the tarp to pull it away from the hammock. Thanks Tendertoe. any more hand sewing links?

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weava View Post
    Detail Man, Thanks for the help. It makes sense but I have some questions. Should I stitch the perpendicular lines on the patch directly over the tear, so as to stitch the tear up as well? I was thinking about cutting the patch out of the stuff sack...... should I cut it a little over sized to I can roll the edges under to keep from fraying? Most of all, I could use some help with stitch patterns..... which ones to use, and how to do them. I haven't figured out my girlfriends sewing machine yet so I am going to hand sew this. Oh and the tarp is not silnylon it is a urethane coated nylon.

thanks
    I've only a few minutes to post, so forgive the short answers. I'll have more time this evening and will check back to see if have any more questions. Straight stitch will be best. Just follow along the existing stitches. Yes, fold the edges under. Machine sewing will be stonger. It's hard to get even tension by hand. Practice on other fabric with the machine first. It's not too hard to learn enough for this patch job. You can do it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast