DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide

bear bags

Is there a central website mandating bear bags. Does anyone knoe if they're mandatory at geoge washington national forest. I checked the pdf, couldn't find anything but it is in appalachian mtns of virginia. Seasonal? Thanks for input in advance.

Just curious because I don't have a bag!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I've had some friends out west who were required to use a bear canister vs a bag but I'm not sure about the reverse. Virginia mountains....I'd hang my food for sure. I don't have much experience with the canisters or ursacks but even the smaller critters (racoons, opossums, etc) will ruin your day/hike if they get into your chow.

Most all shelters along the AT have cables to hang your food. In the absence of those a good hank of zing-it and an accurate throw will get your grub far out of harm's reach. I carry 60' which is sometimes overkill but that one good lone branch always seems to be a good 20+ feet up. The extra cord always comes in handy.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I do not believe they are mandatory, but it might be good to at least hang one. If you put your food in a zip lock type bag, however many it takes, throw them in a regular stuff sack, that will work fine. The zip locks will keep it dry, the stuff sack will keep it all together. Actually you could use any type of bag, as long as its strong enough to hang.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    To me, it's not a question of whether or not bear bagging is mandatory - it's a question of whether or not I want to eat the next day. BAG IT!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I use the PCT method .. my meal portions put into QT freezer bags .. then grouped into a day bag 1GAL. zip lock .. then everything goes into a oven liner bag .. i used Just Jeff's design for my Bear Bag .. his designs is inverted so the opening is at the bottom when hung .. I like using multiple bags so I can use them as trash bags .. I'm not sure but I tend to think the oven bags are scent blocking as well ..
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearFoodBag.html
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    To me, it's not a question of whether or not bear bagging is mandatory - it's a question of whether or not I want to eat the next day. BAG IT!
    Truth.

Bear bagging for most of my journeys is not for the bears. Its to keep the other critters out of my food stock. Shelter mice are the devil on the AT.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    DIY green gathered end.
    Tarp
    12x10 blue tarp.
    Insulation
    DIY 25* Peapod
    Suspension
    JRB triglide
    Awesome. I was also curious if it had to be a certain bag. I will get something and hangit where it can't be reached. Maybe a stuff sack with a grocery bag on it or something.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I simply use one of the cheap walmart dry bags for anything I don't want to get wet in my bear bag. This goes into a ratsack, which keeps the little knawing critters out of it...I have seen a mouse climb down the "rodent proof" food cables at Smokies campsites.

It's a little heavier than a stuff sacks, but it gives me some peace of mind: RatSack
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

• + New Posts