Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Kiravuo:
    How long is the ridgeline on your Ergo?
    Hi, Just got back from another trip. My ridgeline is 82"/208 cm, loop to loop, without the biners. I don't think there is anything wrong with the hammock, the design just seems to require hanging it high.

Now I have managed to spend seven nights in the Ergo, so I have some more experience. In July I spent two weeks paddling in the Baltic (as VictoriaGuy correctly noticed). BTW if you like sea kayaking, I recommend the Archipelago Sea in Finland, southwest from the city of Turku. One of the most beautiful places in the world, free camping on anywhere not habited, no tides, no huge waves (feel free to ask me for details). However we did not always have enough trees to hang a hammock on, so I also had my tent with me. When offered a choice, I preferred the hammock for ease of setup, comfort and coolness (we are having a heat wave in Finland), but the tent worked fine, too.

Besides the hanging height there is another issue with the Ergo. I have been using a regular Thermarest pad, which is smaller than the pad pocket, and as the hammock is not fully stretched by the pad, the suspension system bunches up and creates a wrinkle with more suspension. Basically it feels like somebody would tie a tight string under the hammock. I have resolved this by grabbing the fabric above my head and pushing with my feet, until I get all the fabric tight underneath me (I am also overweight, lighter people might not have this issue). I think that a larger LW-size pad would solve this. Of course then the pad would not fit my Thermarest chair kit... Besides this issue I have slept very well in the Ergo and I have noticed that I fall asleep faster than in my tent. Even during a thunder storm I remember seeing one flash and then falling asleep.

Another issues I might whine about is that the fabric feels flimsy and I can not see out of the hammock as well as from my HH. However, I prefer the Ergo over the HH, because I felt claustrofobic in HH. I think the pad makes a difference, providing just a tiny bit of spread, or that the wide suspension keeps the sides apart. And the zipper is a little bit difficult to zip around that part where the lines connect to the fabric, making little waves. And the rain fly is hard to make silent in wind, since it is very irregularly shaped and some end is also flapping. At the same time I admire the strings, which have a tiny hook at the far end for looping around something and a tightening cleat at the fly end - and - have a little pocket for stowing the string in the fly. Tarp origami is always a little bit demanding, but so far I have spen two or three rain nights in the hammock without problems, being able to get the winward side closed while leaving other side open.

Overall I am happy with this purchase. I have slept well and kept dry and in a comfortable temperature. For me the pad pocket is a must as, usually the temperatures here are not tropical. Based on my experience so far I would re-purchase the Ergo if I lost it.

kiravuo

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Excellent review and comments! Thanks!

About the pad: I think you will find a big difference if you change to a thicker inflatable pad from the Thermarest. (In Europe, the Exped pad is probably as cheap as any, and I'm happy with my Exped pads, though they are expensive (but still popular) in Canada.).

I inflate the pad to a 'quite stiff' level (it usually gets softer if it is a cool night) before putting it in the hammock pocket. It makes for a smooth and wrinkle-free sleeping surface and I can roll, change position, or just 'sprawl' easily.

With the Exped LW pads, which have lengthwise baffles/tubes, I can hold the pad horizontal in mid-air by grabbing at one end. The no-baffle Thermarest pad will 'buckle' or droop in the same situation. Other inflatable pads with lengthwise chambers would probably work well.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by kiravuo View Post
    My ridgeline is 82"/208 cm, loop to loop, without the biners. I don't think there is anything wrong with the hammock, the design just seems to require hanging it high.
    I just measured my 2013 Ergo and it is also 82" ridgeline. I set the suspension quite tight, <30° .

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234