Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    For me, it's my DIY double layer with gathered ends and the head side corners pulled just right to tune the lay to my liking.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Your priorities (#1 comfort, #2 weight, ... #N price) will serve you well. Make the effort to get to a hang (maybe Spring MAHHA) where you can try them all. Maybe pick up another ENO to use there if you bring your fiancee. Or else use a tent. Hammockers will be falling over themselves to let you try their rigs and get you off the ground.
    will you be at the Spring Mahha WV?
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    In my experience, the best weight to comfort ratio is the WBBB and for non-bug season, a simple gathered end style hammock. There's plenty that are awesome. For example the hennessy safari, but the thing weighs a ton.

Basically it comes down the finding the right length, width, and fabric weight. I'd say 10' x 5' made of 1.7oz ripstop, or 2 layers of 1.1, would be a good dimension for you, also a common dimension. Now an extra foot of length might be nice, but you mentioned weight. I'm finding my 9' x 4.5' works great since I'm a midget, haha.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    The WBBB is very popular for a reason. Having said that, there are people that cannot find the sweet spot in them. Tree to Trail Gear Switchbacks are comfortable and well made. Gathered end hammocks all have the potential to cause calf pressure. Wilderness Logics make their hammocks a foot longer which seems to help and even eliminate it. If you cannot get comfortable in a gathered end hammock because of the calf pressure then a JRB bridge hammock may be something to look at. (Yeah I know I'm not really helping)
    True, you are not helping much but I can't either. +1 on all of that, and the previous comment on the Safari. The Bridge(1) and safari have been my overall favs for a while. Close contender to those 2 a Claytor No Net and it moves to #1 IF I am wanting to use my Pea Pod. I still like my HH UL Explorer, it is comfortable enough and it is good enough when I feel like using my Super Shelter.

I have been playing with a WL Light Owl lately. I liked it a lot right off the bat, and today I like it more than yesterday. We will see how that develops. But whether it ends up being #1 or not, I really like it a bunch. It is extremely comfortable, and most of the time has zero to very little calf pressure. Among the non-bridge hammocks, I'm still thinking ( so far) that my Safari still has a slight edge on it. But, it weighs a good pound less than my Safari, even with a double layer pad pocket, and has whoopie slings. It's a winner. It might end up being my overall favorite.

The JRB Bear Mt bridge hammock is unique in being 100% of the time 100% free of calf pressure for me (Safari is it's closest competitor in that area followed by the WL Light Owl) and except for the maybe Safari and Light Owl, 100% free of knee hyper-extension. It(JRB) also has the most fool proof and adjustment free UQ attachment when used with a JRB MWUQ. I also feel it is easier for me to stay draft free using just a quilt in this hammock. But I can not go full fetal position in it. And shoulder comfort has a learning curve. Still, overall, a great sleep for me.

So, no solid answer from me. But I still lean towards a bridge.

PS: Oh, I forgot about the WBBB. It has fantastic shoulder comfort, good side comfort, I really love the "shelf", it has fantastic head room with it's net far from my head(BMBH great head room also). I have had trouble with calf pressure, which usually means a pillows under my knees needed. But it is over all a great hammock also. So, one of those hammocks is most comfortable. That should clear it up!

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    TTTTG SwitchBack Lite Hiker
    TTTTG SwitchBack
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    WBBB 1.7 dbl

Ranked based on my personal experience. WL and TTTTG hammocks are nearly a tie. I love the BB design but could never get rid of the calf ridge.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Sunshine
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    PapaSmurf DangerBird
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    TTTTG Switchback

I am with Shane, I could never get comfortable in the BlackBird ... But the DangerBird ... mmmm that's a fine hammock.
    At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.

– Robin Lee Graham

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brdaaw View Post
    @yukon - I live in Nyack. I love my Copper Spur UL2. It's the best all around tent I've been exposed to. I'm sure it's frowned upon around here, but I don't see myself giving it up for two person cold weather camping. I think it's less weight than hanging two people, not to mention all the $$$ I'd have to drop on UQ et al. :P

Cool, maybe we'll see ya upstate sometime for a hang?

Yeah we really like our Copper Spur UL3 (did I just say I like a tent? ), but I'm trying to convert my fiancee to hammocks.

As far as the myriad of answers you are getting about different hammocks in this thread, I wish you luck in choosing one. I still recommend the WBBB because of all the reasons I said before, and the fact that the quality is second to none. Brandon is a cool guy...

Hammock
    tttg sb 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    hmg cuben
    Insulation
    Crows Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I now own several, but my go to and most comfortable is the tree to tree switchback. I tried hard to love my blackbird, but like Shane could not get past the calf ridge. dave

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO SN & WL LiteOwl
    I'm leaning towards the WL Lite Owl, but I'm wishing there was an integrated bug net, which is relatively heavy when you have to add a big over-the-hammock net. Thoughts?
    @yukon- we're up in the Dacks here and there. Also, have u tried the lite owl or night owl? How does the comfort compare to the wbbb?

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Research the Dangerbird by PapaSmurf. Integrated bugnet, light weight and a weather shield. I would get one right now if I didn't already have several hammocks and my husband hadn't put me on hammock buying restriction. LOL...
    I do plan to get the DangerBird when I finally get to thru hike the AT.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast