Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images

Trip Report - Ohio Hang - Jan 27,28,29

We didn't have as much snow as we would like (none) but the temperatures did get in the 20's. Not the zero we would have liked but decent either way.

We went to a state campground at Hueston Woods in Ohio. It certainly isn't hiking back in the woods and finding random trees to hang in but again it was good.

I arrived around 2pm with my friend Brian. Later Tanker0707 showed up, my friend Spike436 got there then Tanker's buddy Dan arrived. Later on a friend of mine named Charles arrived... but that is a story for the next (or maybe the next) post.

There was only one campsite that could accommodate 4 hammocks so of course we chose that one. Myself, Spike, Tanker and his friend Brandon (and his nice dog) all were in hammocks. Brandon didn't have an underquilt so I loaned him my ENO Emberquilt which served him well, especially when comparing to not having a UQ at all.

Friday night dropped into the 20's and became very windy which tested how well our tarps were staked down. As I am lazy I didn't do a good job at first and had to adjust a bit.

Saturday Tanker and Brian had to leave (Charles had already left... reference story to follow) which left Brandon (and dog), Spike and myself. We took a nice hike to show Brandon the other camping options open in the summer and then a nap. We all stayed Saturday night and then had a breakfast consisting of leftovers and went home.

More details to come.... and pictures when the gallery comes back online.
    (WM)===:::

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Food.....

Friday night was brats and hot dogs. Brian made some sort of chocolate and cherry cobbler out of his dutch oven and it was tremendous.

Saturday morning was biscuits and gravy and some hash browns. Snacky snack during the day then Spike made some chili spaghetti that was very very good. Sunday morning was left over chili spaghetti.

We certainly didn't hurt for food.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Charles......

Charles is a guy I used to work with and he wanted to come Winter camping. First thing led to another and he didn't go to his parents and get his cold weather gear. He didn't want to arrive in the dark and setup his tent. I told him to get his cold weather stuff and we would all help him setup. Not sure what cold weather gear he had in the first place but I suspect it wasn't much. In the end he did not get his cold gear.

He arrived in gym shoes, sweat pants and a pair of plain leather gloves. He went to put up his tent and realized the tent his wife gave him wasn't the right want. We gave him instant abuse on why he let ANYBODY back gear that we was dependent on. Brandon had a spare tent which he loaned him and then helped him set it up. Mad props to Brandon. I gave him a spare pair of boots and about five moving blankets to try and create some insulation for him in the tent. His sleeping bag looked like it was made for 70 degree weather.

Bed time on Friday night..... Around 4 am I head Brandon's dog barking, a vehicle door shut and an engine start. Then the vehicle took and and BLAMMO! a collision. I figured it was Charles and he had backed across the road into a large dumpster that was there. The vehicle drove off. I went back to sleep.

The next morning there is no Charles. Gone. Tent unzipped. The large dumpster was moved around six inches and there was red paint marks all over it.

Fast forward to later..... I found out that Charles had woke up at 2am very cold. He opened some hand warmers to try and generate some heat. At 4am he was miserable. He hopped in his truck and wanted to drive around to warm up. He backed out and hit the dumpster and was so pissed he took off and went home.

I have his ground tarp, his cooler, and his leather gloves. He has my boots. I'll get them from him soon.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Dan's puppy. Great dog.

Dumpster Charles hit

Yeah, it moved.

My hammock on the left, Tanker's on the right.

Tanker looking all .... Tanker-ish.

More of mine.

The wind was blowing so I moved my camp stove onto a small cabin (un-used) porch. That is me cooking and Tanker, Brandon and Spike doing not one thing.

Me cooking some biscuits and gravy

Getting the sausage ready

Adding some hash browns

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 double
    Tarp
    diy black cat
    Insulation
    Kaq new river diy
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Fun trip good gravy as always

What kkind of mix is that dog? It looks a lot like my pup and I know he's Shep and Greyhound but he's got webbed feet and a curly tail. about 40lbs at 5 1/2 months. For the life we can't figure out what else he's got in there. Mom was purebred GSD though, acccording to the picture.

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Not sure what kind of mix it is to be honest. Brandon didn't mention it that I know of and I just noticed it as "dog".

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I notice the kelty's noah 12....i am sure you probly know this but you can fold the ends in and make it completly enclosed....works great in bad weather....keeps weather from blowing in the ends.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Sounds like fun. You will remember the dumpster well after the rest of the hike fades away. ;-)

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
    I notice the kelty's noah 12....i am sure you probly know this but you can fold the ends in and make it completly enclosed....works great in bad weather....keeps weather from blowing in the ends.
    A few weekends before I had them folded in like that and it worked well. This weekend it wasn't as cold so I wanted to test things out. I did pinch the middle part together with a biner to see how that would help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast