Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I also do not use a continuous ridgeline. I have small continuous loops on each end of the tarp tied in a prusik around the cordage for length adjustment. I just tie off the cordage to the trees. I also use tarp sleeves for storage.
    On the one hand, I like being able to setup the fly first in the rain and then setup the hammock keeping it dry. On the other hand, I don't like having another set of snakeskins

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'm partial to the "no tarp ridgeline" method. I use the HH Hex tarp, and have just tied off some additional cordage to the end d-rings of the tarp, and use Fig 9s to adjust and tension the tarp across the ends to the trees directly. No ridgeline above or below the tarp that way, and I have the tarp stored in snakeskins seperately from the hammock this way. If there's a downside to doing it like this, I've not stumbled across it yet.

I think I need the figure 9s... What kind of cord to tie to the trees? This is a bad picture, but it shows what I have done before. The fly is tied separately from the hammock. The yellow line is just some cheap glow in the dark poly.

Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have new woopies with a extra foot of line between fixed eye and tension area. Perfect.

Hammock
    Hennesy Ultralight Assm
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had the same "issue" and I'm pretty sure I just took my tarp and tied it directly to the tree, although many times I sleep tarpless.

Posted about it here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=28632
    Last edited by kiecker; 03-15-2012 at 22:17.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm going to agree with those who said:

-> Hang the tarp separately. So much nicer (IMHO) to be able to hang it high enough to be able to stand under. All that stooping was getting to me. Also improves air flow and vision (which, if you don't want, just hang it low and angle it down steeper).

-> Do not use a ridgeline at all. For me, a separate ridgeline became a big mess of knots and/or a problem to align and fasten without attaching both ends first (each was dependent on the other). Now I have two much shorter cords, one attached to each end's D-ring. I tied a Nite-ize Figure-9 to each D-ring also. I used a different color cord from the side tie-outs. Now set up and take-down is easier, as is adjustment.

I often don't even set up the rainfly, weather permitting.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    HH DJ XL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 Tarp
    Insulation
    Pad (for now)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd read a couple of threads about related topics and went for whoopies on my HHDJXL. I used tarp flyz on a continuous ridgeline for the tarp.

To get around the snake skins problem I sourced some very lightweight 'mesh' fabric for some skins for the tarp. It means I can set the two parts up seperately and can even get the whole set up in the mesh and keep a damp tarp off the hammock with my hammck's 'skins'.

I find setting the tarp up seperately also means that I can set up and mantain a better tarp tension (the sag when getting in the hammock doesn't sag the tarp).

Just my way - everyone has their own...

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL
    Tarp
    Oware flattarp
    Insulation
    Custom HG 40* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Separate for me. The last three months of hanging it has been pouring when I'm trying to set up. Makes everything stay a lot drier.

attachng prussics

Quote Originally Posted by shhQuiet View Post
    The prusiks are holding better, but they grip the amsteel right on the bury and make adjustment of the whoopies a problem. What did I do wrong?
    While I may go to a separate suspension for the rain fly, I still wanted to option to use the stock prussics. What I did was to first make the fixed end of the slings, attach the slings to the hammock, and then add the adjustable loops. This let me start the bury for the adjustable loops very close to the hammock, which then allowed the prussic to be attached beyond the bury, on the fixed side of the adjustable loop.

I keep my prusik on the whoopie sling, but i had to throw an extra knot in the prusik so that it grips the amsteel better, it works for me just fine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12