Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I started out with a 2/3 and quickly decided it was not for me. I am an active sleeper and I spent most of my time adjusting the quilt and leg pad. I sold it to a thru hiker.

IMO, the only reasons to do a partial length are weight, pack size, and cost. Although weight concious, I am not an ultralight backpacker by any means I am always willing to carry a few ounces extra in the name of comfort. Besides, most of my packing is in a NRS dry bag for rafting.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TeeDee and I both use the custom Bridges and UQs he designed (described here). We use the Gossamer gear 1/4" thick Thinlight pads when we need to supplement the full length UQ.

Making the full length UQ a 3/4 length would save 3.6 oz.

Gossamer Gear specifies the weight of the pad as between 9 oz and 13.2 oz. So the pad to replace the remaining 1/4 length of the UQ for the legs would weigh between 4.5 oz and 6.7 oz.

So that meant that he would save 3.6 oz to use a pad that would weigh between 4.5 oz to 6.7 oz.

So TeeDee decided that since the full length UQ would weigh less than the 3/4 length plus pad, he just made the UQ full length and we suffer with the lighter weight and warm legs.

Then we also have the option of supplementing with a full length pad if the temperatures are going to be below the lower limits of the UQ. We have never been that low. The theoretical lower limit of the UQs is about -20*F.

Not an option for everybody, but it just shows what good design and DIY skills can do for you. A full length UQ that weighs less than a 3/4 length plus pad.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    After a lot of dreaming thinking and an extra big check from work I finally pulled the trigger!

I talked to Adam, who gave better customer service than I've ever had, and decided to go a little custom. Keep in mind that I am 5'6" tall.

I ordered a 0* Incubator (full length) 6" shorter, but with the same amount of down, so it will actually be overstuffed. Adam said that an UQ is way more flexible than a TQ as far as temperature rating goes. Since I am going to continue winter camping in Minnesota, I figured I might as well be comfy! It will be Olive Drab.

I also got a 20* Burrow 6" shorter, but I kept the temp rating the same, so there is less down and it will be lighter. Then I got the sewn foot box so it was a wash for pricing (less down, more labor). Adam said he had some navy blue sitting around so I got that for this quilt. In the deep cold of winter, I have a 20* synthetic that I can throw in the pulk to keep me warm.

I've never been one to go half way on anything. All or nothing! With all of the great reviews of both of these quilts from Hammock Gear, I knew I'd be getting a quality product. Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

See you in the woods!

That Navy blue TQ is gonna look sweet!

Hope we get some trip reports of your gear in action

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You made a great choice! Love my HG 0*.

I always prefer the full-length. I hate drafty feet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345