Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA

New SRL attachment method

This is an adjustable ridgeline that connects/disconnects from the hammock via a Bloomgorge tarp key. The tarp key is larksheaded onto a continuous loop which is larksheaded to a suspension whoopie. Been holding up fine for a while now. I'm sure you can see how it disconnects.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    That looks like a nice set up Taylo. I've pondered SRL disconnects for a while now and still wonder what would happen if the short end were to break. Zing It/Lash it and Amsteel has a very low stretch factor so it isn't really storing energy but there is tension on it and I would hate to see a breakage sending a piece of hardware flying across one's head. This may not even be a factor...just wondering. Grizz, you out there? You could probably shed more light on this.

your ridgeline as I understand it, should never be that taught. You want to be able to thumb it vertical while laying in it, I've been told. I personally don't use a ridgeline proper.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    your ridgeline as I understand it, should never be that taught. You want to be able to thumb it vertical while laying in it, I've been told. I personally don't use a ridgeline proper.
    Right on. When hung properly, it shouldn't be that tight. I just worry about those folks that hang it too tight. I get requests all the time from Hennessy owners that hung theirs too tight and it broke and they need a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBait View Post
    Right on. When hung properly, it shouldn't be that tight. I just worry about those folks that hang it too tight. I get requests all the time from Hennessy owners that hung theirs too tight and it broke and they need a replacement.
    I was one of those tight hangers in my WB traveler that came with a ridgeline. I could carry a good tune with it

I do like the functionality of it, but don't use it for structure at all. Tie the ends of my whoopies together to make a ridgeline when I do need one. Nothing extra, just a couple hitches.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I dont know how long I'll keep using this setup. It does come unattached just about every time I pack it. But it's never a problem. I always tinker with such things. I'll have some new idea pretty soon.
    I mainly use it to support my bugnet.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo View Post
    I dont know how long I'll keep using this setup. It does come unattached just about every time I pack it. But it's never a problem. I always tinker with such things. I'll have some new idea pretty soon.
    I mainly use it to support my bugnet.
    You could just throw a sliding barrel knot on the whoopie and that would keep it closed up around the hook until you wanted to move it. Chickenwing has a video on it seen here.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I saw a video wherein an Amsteel towline was tested to failure: it just dropped. Nothing happened...impressive. I don't think slingshotting is a concern.

I have reservations, though, about stuffing a hammock with anything that has hard edges.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I try not to allow the ridgeline to be too tight. As far as stuffing the hardware, I have yet to run into trouble. Bloomgorge tumbles these tarp keys to smooth out all the edges. I also use a fairly loose stuff sack for my hammock.
    I've been really undecided whether I like ridgelines or not, but have to have one when I throw the bugnet on. This is a very versatile and quick system that handles any desire I may have.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I saw a video wherein an Amsteel towline was tested to failure: it just dropped. Nothing happened...impressive. I don't think slingshotting is a concern.

I have reservations, though, about stuffing a hammock with anything that has hard edges.
    I'm probably over thinking this but kinda have to when you make and sell these things. What I've seen of rope testing is they pull on it very slowly until it breaks and then stop. Like you say with Amsteel, it just drops. It's not elastic thus no stored energy. I'm more worried about the secondary reaction of the hammock spreading once the ridge line breaks. Idea...I'll bring a sacrificial RL to the Ozark hang and well find a 'volunteer' to lay in a hammock while we cut the RL to see what happens.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast