Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Sil
    Insulation
    Bag+pad
    Suspension
    Strap+Whoopiesling
    Images

Spectra

Does anybody know a good source for Spectra Fabric? The only source I can find is on eBay and only offers full rolls, 20yds. I was thinking of making a DIY version of an Ursack (www.ursack.com).

try searching for dyneema gridstop.. think that's what you're looking for (what golites are made out of) Last I looked it was about 25.00 a yard.

Images
    Interesting idea

I couldn't find any spectra, but ArmorCo stocks and ships Kevlar 29 fabric, which should be similar to the S29 being used in the Ursack. It is 14oz/sy, which would make a diy Ursack clone about 6-7oz for the fabric. Rope weight would bring it to about the same as the commercial one.

The price is $35.31/yd, 2yd minimum + actual shipping charges.

Would you be using Amsteel rope for the closure and spectra thread for sewing it up? Sounds interesting.

Based on the weight, I think their aluminum liner is about 24ga (~.02 in) to make it a "Hybrid" Ursack.

Where would you plan on using this? Unfortunately if it is in any forest with a "must have a bear canister" requirement the rangers would only recognize equipment on their approved list, which isn't going to include DIY versions. Of course there is a lot more bear country out there than just the parks with bear canister requirements.

The 3.3oz spectra fabric sold by Thayercraft on eBay is mentioned in a thread on Backpackinglight where it sounds like it won't be useful for sewing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Puncture & cut resistant fabrics are very expensive and usually made to suite a specific purpose. You don't want a pure spectra fabric as it would not be puncture proof. Most bullet resistant vests are made from a spectra/kevlar weave and layered to create the level of resistance needed to meet a standard "threat level". Most manufactures have propietary fabric they use that is not standardized across the industry. Some vests will hold up to more abuse than others, as far as the actual fabric goes.

In short it will be cheaper to just buy an Ursack. I seriously doubt you will find the fabric you want buy "by the yard" anywhere. It's gonna be a whole roll or none. Now if you have that kinda money laying around and wanna start a competition business then go ahead. Alternatively you might consider a group buy. I'm sure others would like to make their own as well.

Guess I sit corrected. ^^^

Generally Kevlar is more cut resistant than
    Spectra. The tightness of the weave is what is generally attributed to the puncture resistance. That K29 should perform well. But, the cost is pretty high.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 02-02-2012 at 12:45.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Moded Hammock Bliss Mosquito Free
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Sil
    Insulation
    Bag+pad
    Suspension
    Strap+Whoopiesling
    Images
    Thought it wouldn't hurt asking knowing the industriousness of the folks on here. I am quickly coming to the conclusion it would probably be cheaper (and less frustrating) to buy the Ursack. From what I have read the Dyneema grid ripstop only has dyneema thread in the grid, the "base" material is 200D nylon.

Another idea popped into my head, what about fabric with stainless steel threads woven into it like Pacsafe uses in their bags. Anybody ever seen any of this online?

My experience with kevlar fabric leads me to believe it would be hard to sew, hard to work with. Probably a very coarse weave. The 2 yard minimum without knowing if it was workable is kind of a barrier too. They do have another kevlar (779) on their site that looks possible but slightly higher/yd.

My main concern is critter protection, this was just a thought rattling around in my head. Thanks for these (and future) replies.
    Last edited by mcvincnt; 02-02-2012 at 12:58.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel

maybe

At one time, Dan McHale would sell a small amount of the Spectra he uses for his packs. I don't remember the cost or specifics. You might shoot him an email and see.

Ryan

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TZBrown made some DIY Ursacks using airbag material from the auto scrapyard. Some of the airbags use the same fabric as the Ursack. Sometimes the deployed airbags are even free. Check the link for some pics.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    Dan McHale no longer seems interested in selling his Spectra fabric unfortunately. That fabric is unique to him and quite different from the spectra you see on Ebay for ballistic vests (this is not a fabric you would want to use for outdoor gear anyhow, although it will stop bullets at 52 layers and up!). Also it is polymerized which allows it to take dye.

Kevlar is an amazing fabric but unfortunately it degrades extremely fast under UV exposure so unless it was laminated or treated in some way, it probably wouldn't last long.

CiloGear has woven Dyneema (Dyneema and Spectra are identical. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise) fabric in their line up but I don't know much about it. They also use a fabric made by Dimension Polyant known as DX-40 (not to be confused with VX-07, VX-21 etc) The warp and all axis of the gridstop are pure Dyneema, while the luft/fill is polyester. This stuff is tough! Alas, it only comes in white and DimPoly seems to get grumpier and grumpier about folks wanting to buy 2nds or mill ends or any sort of small order for that matter. So they may want you to buy a roll.... Yikes!

Just my 2 cents for what its worth. Good luck! Let me know what you decide on if you do go DIY. I'd be very interested to hear about it!

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
    TZBrown made some DIY Ursacks using airbag material from the auto scrapyard. Some of the airbags use the same fabric as the Ursack. Sometimes the deployed airbags are even free. Check the link for some pics.

Jerry
    That is some great info Jerry!

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Another option I would consider is CT22k.18 cuben. Extremely tough with 4.5x the spectra as the 1.43oz cuben(which some folks have had good luck with against rodents). I have no experience against rodents with either weight however. 2.5oz per yard so lightweight too.

P.S. - Be careful if you go the airbag route. Most are nylon except some of the older version which are vectran or kevlar.

Ryan

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast