Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Also consider, like you, I use a mummy bag. It makes a *huge* difference when the only exposed skin is your lips and nose Also, though the insulation properties of the down underneath you is compromised by laying on it, I believe it is still non-zero and does help some.

I did use my bag as a quilt on warmer nights. It worked OK, but I still roll over quite a bit at night, and I invariably would awake to a cold exposed butt cheek. Seems more comfy to just zip the bag 1/2 way up.

--Kurt
    Right before I got into using a hammock I bought a WM Summelite (full zipper) mummy bag for backpacking. Due to limited funds I was forced to use it in my hammock. But after a year of hammocking I find no reason to replace it.

I like the different options it gives me. The way the baffles are made I can shake most of the down to the top and fully zip it if I don't want to take the chance of exposing any body parts. I like that I can zip it up as far as I want or not. Or unzip it and use it like a quilt.

I think personal preference, experimentation, and how much moola you want to spend comes into play for a lot of this stuff. I, for one, don't like using a pad inside my hammock and went to an underquilt but for others it's a non-issue.

This is not a new statement, but for any newbies out there, there is no one way. Find what works for you and HYOH! That's what makes it so much fun!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    This is not a new statement, but for any newbies out there, there is no one way. Find what works for you and HYOH! That's what makes it so much fun!
    Then come on the forum and sell the stuff you don't want by saying, "I'm moving up in the world of hammocking technology and I don't need this any more. But it sure was gr8t when I used it." Someone will buy it. Some will use it as is. Others will buy it for the sole purpose of mod-ing it into something it was never intended to be in the first place. But hey.. this is the second place soi all bets are off.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Great photos!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    .............. Or unzip it and use it like a quilt.

I think personal preference, experimentation, and how much moola you want to spend comes into play for a lot of this stuff. I, for one, don't like using a pad inside my hammock and went to an underquilt but for others it's a non-issue.

Well said! There really are a lot of ways to approach keeping warm ( or dry ), and some ways will work great for one person but apparently not so well for the next. Thank goodness for HYOH and HYOH! But in the meantime, it is always fun to read about the various approaches and what works and dosn't work for these same folks. Even more fun is, if time and money allow, trying all the various approaches for your self. AKA: Gear freak syndrome! ( not me, of course )

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Thanks for the TR and pictures...I've had the pleasure of experiencing the "water bag" effect of a horizontally hung tarp myself...

I used the stock set-up for years until I sold it to buy a Clark...there is no question that if you live up here in the Great Northwoods a hammock is the way to go...I love being off the muddy ground...

Well, we've had a colder than normal spring but at least it keeps the bugs down...since you didn't mention them, I assume they were not an issue...I think black fly season is going to be a month late this year...I live quite close to you...I'm on the Wisconsin side of the St Croix River...

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    Well, we've had a colder than normal spring but at least it keeps the bugs down...since you didn't mention them, I assume they were not an issue...I think black fly season is going to be a month late this year...I live quite close to you...I'm on the Wisconsin side of the St Croix River...
    Hey, Matahari. I think I've read some of your posts on the Backpacker Midwest forum.

Mosquitoes and flies were no issue - that's why I like to hike that last week of May. OTOH, the wood ticks were nasty.

It is nice being off the muddy ground, isn't it. I think what converted me was an SHT section I did a year ago camped at Spruce Creek and it was raining so hard that the water was running underneath my tent. The floor didn't leak, but the condensation caused by the cold rainwater was enough to convince me that there must be a better way!

Hope to meet you some day on a group hike.

--Kurt

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Great report - I was up in the Ham lake area last fall. Looks like a nuclear bomb went off in places.

Off Topic, but Matahari and Kwapke, why don't you chime in on a location for a Midwest hang? Grizz and I have been talking about finding something in our general neck of the woods (MN, IL, WI, etc,) and haven't had anyone from that side of Wisconsin or from Minnesota chime in at all! I wish it could be the BWCA, but too far for most of the southern folks. Any ideas.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Off Topic, but Matahari and Kwapke, why don't you chime in on a location for a Midwest hang? Grizz and I have been talking about finding something in our general neck of the woods (MN, IL, WI, etc,) and haven't had anyone from that side of Wisconsin or from Minnesota chime in at all! I wish it could be the BWCA, but too far for most of the southern folks. Any ideas.
    OK, I'll post my thoughts on that thread rather than muss up this one.

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12