Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL

Curious in Oklahoma

ok, this is my first visit to the site. My name is Chad and I have always been a tent camper. I work at a specialy outdoor store in Oklahoma and had a customer come in who is a "hanger." Since then, I have been watching videos and learning as much as I can. I think this is something I could be interested in. I have been looking at Hennessy, Clark, Warbonnet, and JRB hammocks. JRB and Hennessy really stress their "lay flat" technology, but I am curious if one tent is noticebly more comfy than another. I generally am a middle of the road kind of guy when it comes to features; i don't need super convenient, but i also want more than super light. So I would like to shoot for somewhere in the middle. I really liked the look of the Hennessy Hammocks, but then when I saw the Clark hammocks they seemed considerably more versatile without having so many separate attachements. And is there any way of trying some of this stuff out before purchasing? I would really like to see how comfy it is before I actually invest in one. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be appreciated.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Greetings from Latvia! Shug's videos are awesome and well worth watching.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Welcome C-had. You've got a good list of hammocks there. About the only way that you might be able to try out a bunch of name brands like that is to attend one of the group hangs and talk to the folks there. Take a look at the Hangouts, Campouts and Trip Planning sub-forum here for the one nearest you.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to the Forums from Canada! Wait until you throw Wilderness Logics hammocks and Tree to Trail into the mix.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The group hangs are great places to see different gear. However, if the next group hang in your area is three months off, you might not be able to hold off that long.

I started researching hammocks and tarps and it all made my head swim. I just wanted to get out and hang, so I bought a Hennessy Expedition Asym zip and have no complaints whatsoever. I got tarp, suspension, and hammock for $149.95, and was hanging right away.

However, if I ever wanted to sell the HH, they don't generally move that well on the forum and you're gonna take a bigger loss on it than you would a Warbonnet or one of the higher-end, more popular hammocks.

I now have three hammocks and three tarps and realize that, while I love integrated bugnets, I don't need them in winter. So now I'm probably gonna get a hammock just for winter camping so I can try out the peapod concept. And I also want to get a WBBB as well.

And I'm now ready to get a Cuben Fiber 4-season tarp. Two years into this hammock thing and I'm still spending money.

Hi Chad and welcome to the forums along with the dilemma on gear and new ways to spend $, anyway theres a small hang along with water play on the Kiamichi River, OK/18-19-20 Feb, there will be a lot of different gear and a chance to try out various riggings along with talking to the Oracle of Oklahoma, Old Gringo, who can explain everything and discuss the rt angles to hang and how to find them, hope you can make it, info as to where is @ this site, "Kriver.com"

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    There is a little get together on the Kiamichi River over President's Day weekend. Shouldn't be too far for you. Lots of good people and lots of different hammocks.

Add Wilderness Logics and Tree to Tree Trail Gear to your list of possibles.

And welcome. I've got a few friends in Broken Arrow.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to Hammock Forums and hey from high point nc.

Hammock
    DIY by Smokehouse
    Tarp
    DIY by Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Howdy from Jenks Chad. The hangs are a great way to see and try different rigs. The one at Kriver is the soonest and then another at Kyle's landing in March. If you can't wait, then pm me to see a few tarps and hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    3-season UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Hey Chad, welcome to the forum. I live in Coweta and work in Tulsa. I am a noob hanger, but loving it and never going back to the ground. Would be happy to show off by Warbonnet blackbird if it you are interested. I would really like to attend the hang next weekend, but, not sure if I can get free. I agree with other posters that seeing multiple set-ups might help you in your decision.
    "I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast