WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I have a friend who uses a 20+ year old SD 20F* rated down SB. It has always been storred compressed. Once a year usually in spring he takes it out tosses it in the dryer on "no heat" setting for 30 or so with half a dozen tennis balls. It fluffs right back to full loft everytime.

I've mentioned to him about storing it un compressed and saving the down's loftiness, but, he swears that's a myth. He has been doing his down this way for 20+ years and is still satisfied with the results.

Personally, I store mine in the storage bags that came with them. I don't usually compress them until the night before my trip, and usually it's the first thing I unpack when I get home. However, I have left mine compressed for several days at a time with no apparent I'll effects.

YMMV
    -A.A.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I'm with your friend and leave mine until the last minute.

How much extra loft I get from doing it is probably meausures in fractions of an inch, but I don't want my slaved over diy quilts being squashed for any longer than they need

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    While like everyone else, I hate having my down compressed for longer than the hike I'm on, I'm not worried about it being compressed really. I pack the night before usually. Down goes in first so if not I'm in a rush the next morning.

I figure, plenty of of thru hikers use down, and its in a pack for all but maybe 8 hours a day for up to 6 months, and it works for them still. What's 12-24 hours gonna hurt?

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    The night before for me. I like to grab my stuff and go first thing in the morning

Fronkey
    Same here. When I wait and pack up in the morning I forget things.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Wholesale down is stored compressed until it is put in your quilts, bags, etc. so I do not think that being compressed a couple days will hurt. Could you imagine the shipping container for say 50 pounds of down not compressed I store my down products uncompressed but i may pack my gear a few days ahead of time and not worry about it.

Hammock
    the travle hammock/eno dn
    Tarp
    hennesey asym
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    ring buckle/woopie
    usually the night before, if my tq and uq are going on the top of my pack (which never happens) i may do it at the trail head

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
    I mentioned to my pal, that I had to grab my HG Burrow [Down top quilt, for those not in the know] and toss it in my pack.

He got offended and said, "Don't compress that all now! You,re not leaving until tomorrow morning. Lay it out on your back seat for the drive there and don't compress it until you get to the trailhead."

So, my question fellow hangers is ... Really? Are you guys and gals that serious about when and for how long you compress your down? How far in advance do you get everything squished? Trailhead? Before you head the road? The night before? Days before? What's the consensus?

Thanks.
    Consider that these things get packed up a shipped out and stay compressed for days.

I pack mine up day before I leave, never had an issue, ever. Did the same thing at both winter hangs, slept beautifully both times. 2nd time I took my TQ below it's temp rating, best night of sleep outside yet.

Just do what you feel comfortable with, but I don't think you need to leave your stuff out until you hit the trail. Seems like a PITA to me, personally, but HYOH, might work for you.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My sleeping bags came with a big sack and a small sack. That is one Kelty down bag and one TNF synthetic bag. I store them in the big sack until time to pack.

On the trail, I usually stuff the sleeping bag for the day, especially if it is damp. They can pick up too much moisture if left out. That is a worse problem for those who leave their sleeping bags on the ground (shudder).
    I love the unimproved works of God. - Horace Kephart

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123