Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

HH - Country of Manufacture

Do you know if this is an older one before Hennessy started making them in China?

*These posts were split from another thread*
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 06-06-2008 at 12:53. Reason: added split message

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    9x9 Tabernacle
    Insulation
    Exped CF & NEO Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I honestly don't know. If someone can tell me a way to verify by looking at the hammock, I will be more than happy to look and provide feedback.

I'm not sure how to check, the only way I found out was by the bar code on the tag where it says "Made in China." HH won't tell you on their website. LOL I thought we were helping our Canadian brothers!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    9x9 Tabernacle
    Insulation
    Exped CF & NEO Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    When I purchased this hammock, it didn't come the stock stuff sack. With that said, the only identification I can find on the hammock is a tag located at the right tie-out point of the hammock. the HennessyHammock.com, patented, Galiano, B.C. and a phone number. I don't know if this will help any since I assume you are talking about a bar code with is probably on the stuff sack, not the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    Do you know if this is an older one before Hennessy started making them in China?
    I have noticed you mention this in another thread recently. Is there a difference in the Hennessey hammocks now that they are made in China?

Some tieouts are overstitched, weakening the fabric itself, replacements are the same. Plus, in my opinion, I am no fan of completely Chinese made goods ( understanding that Chinese made parts would be hard to avoid.) Plus, I believe HH should disclose country of manufacture somewhere besides the paper tag one notices, after purchase. I believe HH can afford its rather well regarded customer service purely because of the lower costs of inferior Chinese construction.

This is not a political or ideological issue, it is a disclosure issue. There are many excellent hammock manufacturers out there competing on many levels; all factors should be disclosed and allowed to be taken into account.
    Last edited by daibutsu; 06-06-2008 at 06:12.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    I haven't been all that impressed with some of the American manufactured gear I've seen. Wonder what the largest American-made gear manufacturer is anyway?

Images
    Some tieouts are overstitched, weakening the fabric itself, replacements are the same. Plus, in my opinion, I am no fan of completely Chinese made goods ( understanding that Chinese made parts would be hard to avoid.) Plus, I believe HH should disclose country of manufacture somewhere besides the paper tag one notices, after purchase. I believe HH can afford its rather well regarded customer service purely because of the lower costs of inferior Chinese construction.
    When you talk about the construction, is this in comparison to hennesseys made in USA? Or is it just based off of looking at one, that you found out was Chinese made? I am just interested.

I just looked at a hammock from a different company I just recieved that I know is made in China because it is on the inside tag. Made in China is nowhere on the outside of the sack. Not on the outside label. Not on the website. So, it does appear that they really don't want to put that foot forward.

This is not a political or ideological issue, it is a disclosure issue. There are many excellent hammock manufacturers out there competing on many levels; all factors should be disclosed and allowed to be taken into account.
    For me it is very much a political issue. Think for a moment about how much of our debt is owed to the Chinese, and what they stand for. Then think about the sweatshops making the goods, and the children who's lives will change forever if they are injured. I don't think this is something many of us want to face, but there it is.

The hammock I was referring to above has loose stitching all over the hammock! Also, some of the stitching is inconsistant, and one of the parts even broke! That is pretty harsh, but it is a fair critisism of the product I recieved. I have no doubt that better quality control at the factory would have stopped this kind of product from ever reaching the consumer. I guess it is up to us to be quality control now...

The solution to this is to go back to buying everything in the store, where you can visually inspect it, and reject it before you buy it. Ultimately, the actual craftmanship of the product is what you are looking for, and you will never be able to see that if you are buying something on the internet. If we stop buying the products that are made poorly, they will be forced to give us something better.

That said, if you find a particular company that is making quality goods, there is no reason to avoid ordering on the internet. I am going to go out on a limb and say that the folks that make their own products are going to produce higher quality goods, and every step away from that is going to yeild a decline in quality and price.

"When you talk about the construction, is this in comparison to hennesseys made in USA? Or is it just based off of looking at one, that you found out was Chinese made? I am just interested."

Narwhalin,

I bought a HH from HH, directly in Canada over the internet. The paper tag, which I'm looking at right now says "Made in China" right by the UPC code. It is the one and only place it is indicated. If it is so benign a fact or a petty consideration why don't they just admit it?

Images
    If it is so benign a fact or a petty consideration why don't they just admit it?
    Did I somehow indicate that it is a petty consideration?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast