Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WBBB 1.1 or 1.7

WBBB 1.1 or 1.7

Ok I think I have decided on hammock for my first one. Been looking for a used one but the black birds seem to get snapped up as quick as they get posted.
    I am 5'11" and about 200lb. I want the double for sure. Not sure what I want the 1.1 or 1.7 know the 1.7 is a little heavier but not sure that matters a lot to me. Would it wear better last longer sleep better. Or should I just go with the lighter 1.1. Also how long has it been taking to get your hammock saw it may take a week to ship on there site. Got some time off now and would like to try one out ASAP. Sent them a email yesterday to see how soon they could ship but never got a email back. Thanks

Jason

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    I am 6' and 180lbs... the 1.1 was perfect for me and I also have a buddy who pushes 250 and finds the 1.1 comfortable as well. You can check out what Warbonnet's site has to say about each hammock and what might be best for each person with consideration of occupant weight and style of hammocking.

Have looked around there a good bit. Only thing I was thinking is the 1.7 may be a bit mor durable. How long does it usually take to get one after you place order. Have not gotten any reply email from them?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    I received mine in about a week. I believe back order items take longer. If durability is more important for you than weight, then you have answered your own question. There are so many subjective factors when deciding on gear... When asking for advice from the forum, you may want to give more information about how you will be using your gear. Some people are more concerned about weight in their packs when hiking, while others who may kayak, cycle, or car camp are less cautious about extra ounces. I hope I helped you out, at least, a little bit. You will enjoy you Black Bird either way once you know how you intend to use it.

I am concerned about weight to a point. But If there would be a big difference in durability I would be willing to carry a little more weight. Still not sure which one I want. Guess the 1.1 may be a little cooler in the summer too.

Jason

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    At 200# the 1.1 double should support you no problem. The 1.1 will stretch a bit more than the 1.7 when you get in it, some people find this comfortable, some think it squeezes too much. I think you'd find both cooler and far more comfortable than sleeping on the ground during the summer time. As you've already concluded the 1.7 would be more durable than the 1.1, but I'm not sure by how much. As with all gear durability is a reflection of care given. A cuben pack may be lighter, but you drop it on some rough rocks a few times and you have a cuben tube. Clean it sparingly and gently, keep out of direct sunlight when not in use and I think you'll get many years out of either of these wonderfully crafted hammocks.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Jason, I'm 5'10" and 200lbs. I started out with a double 1.7 Blackbird and switched last year to the double 1.1. Durability will not be an issue if that's your main concern. I switched to reduce pack weight and bulk. I found I got an added bonus though in that the double 1.1 seems a tad more comfortable. This is probably due to the little bit of stretch. The double 1.7 didn't have any noticeable stretch.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Pizza have watched some of your videos.
    I will try to get one on order here soon. Was really thinking 1.7 but now I think I may be changing my mind. Little more reading around and think I will be ready. I think I think to much just need to pull the trigger and buy one.

Jason

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL,HH Scout Zip (son's)
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    3S UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies - a must!
    FWIW, I bought a 1.7 dbl adj webbing suspension with plans to use my pad in the pocket. Hated the pad. Didn't like the pocket - can't really say why, I just did.

Bought an underquilt (on sale - just watch for them from the vendors here). Love the UQ. For me it makes the hammock a hammock.

Sold the dbl, bought a 1.7 single line/strap suspension. Added whooopies. Half the weight of the dbl, less bulk as well. I'm glad I went single.

BTW - I'm 6'-5", 205 lbs. BB is very comfortable.

You will enjoy any BB. For me, the shelf is a must have!

Well I did it just ordered a 1.1 double after reading a lot and looking at ever hammock out there I think this will be a good start to see how I will like the hanging thing. Hope it gets here soon so I can try it out. Work is real slow for me right now usually is in the winter. When things pick up I will get some more stuff need a tarp ASAP then I think I can get buy with my ground bag and some kind of pad until I can get a couple quilts.

Jason

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast