Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    Honesty I think a persons width had more to do with this than there length. Imho
    I'm not sure how width would come into play but weight would.

Since the hammock has to support the body weight and it seems like most of that support comes from the middle or down the center of the hammock.
    Which is usually where the calf pressure shows up.

Makes one wonder if those reporting no calf pressure are also on the light side.

BillyBob commented on the double layers having more of the issue vs single layer.
    I wonder if a single layer stretches more? Spreading out the load.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-06-2012 at 00:55.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That has been my theory anyway, but maybe it's single layer also has something to do with it. Who knows?
    I think you may be on to something.... I've used three hammocks. Two if them double layer and have had pressure one single layer with little pressure. But i have a very limited sample.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    ... But i have a very limited sample.
    Obviously you need to acquire more hammocks!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    BTW, I sleep the opposite of point #3 in the original post and find that more to my liking.
    Who knows?
    Me too!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Folks at group hangs have a great op to observe and collect enough data. Hammocks of various types are there. Different length and width folks climb in to the same hammock and report, as do a couple of bystanders. Then the group move on to the next, different hammock. Everybody knows the parameters to measure about each hammock's hang.

If ever there was a chance to answer the challenge of the tag line on Angry Sparrow's posts, there it is, at group hangs. There could be many, many more comfortable hangers as a result.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I'm not sure how width would come into play but weight would. Makes one wonder if those reporting no calf pressure are also on the light side.

BillyBob commented on the double layers having more of the issue vs single layer.
    I wonder if a single layer stretches more? Spreading out the load.

Both of my Warbonnets are DL and I'm definitely not on the "light side." No calf pressure problems for me.

Perhaps a fat butt helps.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have slept a dozen nites or more in a GT Skeeter Beater Pro,,and after more than one nite,,left leg calf pressure,,and the more I sleep the more it works on that leg. GTUL was a def. no go as it was just too short period. Most uncomfortable lay I ever attempted..WB single 1.7 Traveler,,I have tried everything imaginable. god knows how many times I have even untied ends and retied,,ridgeline from 92 to 104,,after 3 nites in that thing,,calf pressure,,but,,the first 3 nites are fantastic,,after that, its just tolerable, and have spent about 75 nites now in the Traveler, Got a WL Snipe on order and going to try it, I hope the length helps,,after that will try a single double either GT or ENO..will keep checking things out to find that perfect lay. lol..danged if I know, but not going back to the ground anymore than I have too. I weigh 165 and 6'.
    Last edited by Acer; 02-06-2012 at 20:36.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I have slept a dozen nites or more in a GT Skeeter Beater Pro,,and after more than one nite,,left leg calf pressure,,and the more I sleep the more it works on that leg. GTUL was a def. no go as it was just too short period. Most uncomfortable lay I ever attempted..WB single 1.7 Traveler,,I have tried everything imaginable. god knows how many times I have even untied ends and retied,,ridgeline from 92 to 104,,after 3 nites in that thing,,calf pressure,,but,,the first 3 nites are fantastic,,after that, its just tolerable, and have spent about 75 nites now in the Traveler, Got a WL Snipe on order and going to try it, I hope the length helps,,after that will try a single double either GT or ENO..will keep checking things out to find that perfect lay. lol..danged if I know, but not going back to the ground anymore than I have too. I weigh 165 and 6'.
    Acer, You sound worse than me- I think you need a bridge!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-06-2012 at 23:17.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Heck of it is,,slept in the Traveler just perfect last nite with no leg problems,,absolutely just perfect...had one of the best nites of sleep in a week..hell if I know... One thing I did last nite was to drop the foot end down from 8 inches higher to about 2 inches higher than my head and it gave me a great nites sleep. As I keep experimenting and changing I get that perfect sleep for 2 or 3 nites then bang,,calf pressure. Night before went back to the bed just to get out of the hammock. Wife is beginning to think I am nuts...but not giving up..lol.
    Last edited by Acer; 02-07-2012 at 05:46.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I believe, the leg ridge also has something to do with elasticity, which seems to be influenced both by hammock and suspension length. I can't really explain why, but I have slept in a WBBB 1.0 for half a year outdoors, and can't remember any serious leg pressure. I experimented with ridge line length, but found that the stock ridgeline was really perfect for a flat lay and no leg pressure.

Then I started hanging at home, and tried different hammocks. Couldn't sleep in a Brazilian and a TTTM - both didn't have a flat enough lay. But my WBBB and my WBT both developed a nasty leg ridge indoors. I was pretty puzzled, since I didn't do anything different when hanging them indoors. The only thing that really was different was the length of suspension. Outdoors I had a couple of hangs between very close trees, but I always had to wind the suspension around the tree. Indoors I only have about 1m of suspension at the head and foot end, but the suspension is fixed to an eye pad. This means that there is almost no give. My latest trial was incorporating a hammock sprung at each end, and this has indeed made a difference to the leg ridge. There still is a ridge, but it's only slight. Quite a change. When hanging outdoors again, I'll keep an eye the suspension length and see if a longer suspension makes for a more comfy hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast