TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    ... but the suspension is fixed to an eye pad...
    Apple products fix everything.

Honestly, at 6'4" 265, very noticeable ridge in my WBBB 1.7 dbl, but easily dealt with with a level pitch (not a fan of the "feet high" theory) and a knee pillow. Like "super-comfortable" dealt with. I recently put an ARL in and that seems to have helped as well.

Now my TTTG SB 1.9 single = very, very minimal. Almost none. I have a PapaSmurf Dangerbird that should be here this week, I'm anxious to compare out the three.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post

3. For side sleepers: If you sleep on your right side sleep Head left, feet right. If left side sleeper sleep head right, feet left. I've found that this moves my calves beyond the ridge of fabric and decreases the amount of wiggling I need to do to get comfortable.
    Catavarie,

I just found this thread after finding a big ridge in my first DIY. I'm a side sleeper so #3 is very interesting to me. When you say "head left, feet right", is your left when you're laying in the hammock? So it would be like a standard Warbonnet Blackbird? I just didn't want to assume anything.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    Last edited by Dave-O; 03-10-2013 at 17:49. Reason: Fixed quote

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    Catavarie,

I just found this thread after finding a big ridge in my first DIY. I'm a side sleeper so #3 is very interesting to me. When you say "head left, feet right", is your left when you're laying in the hammock? So it would be like a standard Warbonnet Blackbird? I just didn't want to assume anything.

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    You are correct.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Acer, You sound worse than me- I think you need a bridge!
    Acer, I can not resist: do you remember the above post? And now what kind of hammocks do you sleep in? Something that sounds like "ridge hammock"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    Catavarie,

Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    That is how I take it, since that is what works best for me. Especially in my HH.

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    You are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

That is how I take it, since that is what works best for me. Especially in my HH.
    Catavarie & BillyBob,

Thanks! I didn't want to give up on my DIY designs before I had tried everything. Though they are all single layer, so I can always flip them over to try a different direction.

Thanks again for the help.

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Great post. As for the ledge ridge, I have never really experienced a problem with it yet. I'm pretty new to hammocks still but anytime I get any kind of ridge, its just because I havent gotten myself positioned right yet. Shifting down or up on the diagonal generally fixes it right away.
    I us a HH Explorer Deluxe so there may be a difference in lay of the hammock vs traditional hammocks but not experienced calf pressure problems yet.

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    i never had any issues with a leg ridge until i got my lite owl. its the first double layer hammock and never had an issue with a single layer hammock. i think i was hanging it too tight. i've been increasing the sag in it and its been getting better. still haven't found my perfect sag yet, but last night was my best night in it so far. i also tried hanging the foot end a bit higher than the head end and i like it, i don't slide down to the foot end anymore. thanks for digging up this old post, it helped me out.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Here's what I do:

1. Hang foot end around 6" higher than head end
    2. Sleep partially on my side
    3. (this one's the money for me) I use a modified version of the "w" whip found on www.tothewoods.net on all my hammocks. This allows me to move the "ridge" (ie high point in the hammock) to where it gently hits me under my bad knee. It prevents any kind of hyperextension of my legs, and I sleep like a baby. To my knowledge, this is the method ole shugidy shug shug uses on his diy as well.

For number 3, it took many times of whipping to get it perfectly right. I know that most use a pillow to eleviate this issue, but I don't like more than just me and my quilt inside my little cloud.

When I purchaced my BIAS WWM, I also did this, and it is my daily sleeper. Even though Brian said that most leave them stock or end up selling, I couldn't fight the urge to make it my favorite hammock that it is today. It is definitely a hang your own hammock suggestion, but for those looking to save their knees, I do recommend this method. The only downside is it would take some great ingenuity to try this on an integrated net hammock without making it look totally wierd. I lose close to a foot of length using this but it makes up for it in comfort.

Thanks for starting this thread catavarie.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Here's what I do:

3. (this one's the money for me) I use a modified version of the "w" whip found on www.tothewoods.net on all my hammocks. This allows me to move the "ridge" (ie high point in the hammock) to where it gently hits me under my bad knee. It prevents any kind of hyperextension of my legs, and I sleep like a baby. To my knowledge, this is the method ole shugidy shug shug uses on his diy as well.

For number 3, it took many times of whipping to get it perfectly right. I know that most use a pillow to alleviate this issue, but I don't like more than just me and my quilt inside my little cloud.

The only downside is it would take some great ingenuity to try this on an integrated net hammock without making it look totally weird. I lose close to a foot of length using this but it makes up for it in comfort.

I've noticed this from Just Jeff before, found at http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html under "W" Whipping on that page.

But, I don't understand how you are losing a foot of length. I think this is very important, because it is about the only tailoring hammock beds get. Just Jeff reported at HF that this followed a lot of trial and failure, until he got it right. If the method can be followed, and it alters the tensions of the hammock bed when loaded in a particular way, then the method should be well specified so everyone can replicate the results. Just Jeff does not say, for example which end, head or foot, gets the "W" fold. He does imply that this folding, following by the tie, results in the outside corners and the centerline are shortened.

But, then, there's the possibility that both ends get the treatment, or that the W is copied instead of being mirror imaged at the other end. (I'll call the mirror image an "M" in the chart of variations below.)

Head ........... Foot
    End ............End

Plain................... W
    W ................... Plain
    W ................... W
    W .................... M
    M ..................... W
    Last edited by DemostiX; 03-11-2013 at 15:40.

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    When experimenting with hammocks I've made, I string them up tight with a long adjustable ridgeline. The calf pressure is pronounced Then I start shortening the ridgeline bit by bit. As soon as the calf ridge disappears, I know I have it dialed in. If I continue to shorten the ridgeline, I get a lot of sag in the hammock and feel that I'm not supported very well.

BTW, I sleep the opposite of point #3 in the original post and find that more to my liking.
    Who knows?
    MAD,

Thanks for posting your method for adjusting your ridgeline. I've never seen a process for adjusting it. I'm definitely going to use this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Here's what I do:

1. Hang foot end around 6" higher than head end
    2. Sleep partially on my side

For number 3, it took many times of whipping to get it perfectly right. I know that most use a pillow to eleviate this issue, but I don't like more than just me and my quilt inside my little cloud.

When I purchaced my BIAS WWM, I also did this, and it is my daily sleeper. Even though Brian said that most leave them stock or end up selling, I couldn't fight the urge to make it my favorite hammock that it is today. It is definitely a hang your own hammock suggestion, but for those looking to save their knees, I do recommend this method. The only downside is it would take some great ingenuity to try this on an integrated net hammock without making it look totally wierd. I lose close to a foot of length using this but it makes up for it in comfort.

Thanks for starting this thread catavarie.
    Fish,

You say that you use a modified W method. Can you please tell me what's different about it from the way JustJeff describes it? I was originally using Knotty's method of gathering my DIY and then I did a quick mod to gathering it using an end channel (like my BIAS WW). The end channel seemed to reduce the problem a little bit, but didn't make it go away.

I really like my WW (though I've only been able to test it in my hammock stand); however it is HUGE. I've been messing around with a much smaller DIY that's shaped more like a parallelogram or trapezoid (similar to Risk's and TZBrown's designs). Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it nearly as comfortable as my WW .

Thanks for the help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast