Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

ENO or HH explorer deluxe

I'm ready to make the switch to hammocks but cant decide which one to get. I like the price of the ENO double but the idea of the HH. The most important feature to me is the ability to lay as flat as possible. I am 6'2'' and just over 200lbs if that matters. I will be using an REI 3.5" thick 78ish" long sleeping pad with a bag on top. Other than laying flat I also wonder which hammock would be easier to get into with a pad and mummy bag. Thanks for any help. By the way I would like to use my hammock as is with out a bunch of mods and tinkering out of the box if possible. This will be my new four-seasons camping shealter come snow, rain or shine

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    If you are committed to using a pad and a mummy bag, for the least complications possible you should take a look at double-layered hammocks. They allow you to put the pad between the layers of fabric which makes it easier to keep the pad from sliding around under you. One of the Claytor Hammocks would work. If you are set on either the ENO or HH, though, have a look at the Speer SPE. Using one of those can really help you to stay on the pad while in the hammock.

At any rate, welcome to the forum.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    If you are committed to using a pad and a mummy bag, for the least complications possible you should take a look at double-layered hammocks. They allow you to put the pad between the layers of fabric which makes it easier to keep the pad from sliding around under you. One of the Claytor Hammocks would work. If you are set on either the ENO or HH, though, have a look at the Speer SPE. Using one of those can really help you to stay on the pad while in the hammock.

At any rate, welcome to the forum.
    What he said. A Claytor is a great way to go if you are going to use a pad, and if not a Claytor then use the SPE. Trying to use a pad in the HH without the SPE can be real tricky.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I plan on over comming this "slipping off your pad" problem by using either an big agnes sleeping bag (instead of padding on the bottom of the bag there is a pocket to slide your pad in making it impossible to roll off your bag) or by buying a bag such as an REI brand which has loops in the underside of the bag. You basically strap your bag to the pad which again makes it very hard if not impossible to roll off the pad. I will take a look at these other hammocks you recommed, just have done some reading on the HH and ENO and I like they way they look and seem to get good reviews

Images
    the eno will allow you to get the flattest of the 2 and is much easier to use a pad and bag.

consider using your bag as a top quilt, just lay on the pad and tuck the bag in around your sides. also consider a closed cell foam pad (ccf). if you use the inflatable, only fill it about 1/2 way with air.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    well that is good to know. I thought with the asym design of the HH I would be able to lay flatter. That has been the only thing holding up me buying the ENO. Its cheaper and you can buy it in pieces allowing you to buy upgraded/better fitting parts such as tarps from the start. Now with the ENO do you sleep parallel to the rigging lines or perpendicular to lay the flattest?

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Speer SPE 4x4
    Images
    When making your decision, think about what tarp you will use, too. I say that because I just received a MacCat Deluxe and because my Speer had not arrived I set up my ENO double underneath. The tarp wasn't quite long enough, so if you go with the ENO double keep the length of the hammock in mind. Also, what will you be using for bug protection? The ENO Guardian bug net is quite heavy.

I'm excited about the arrival of my Speer, but an also really intrigued with the Claytor Expedition. The Claytor Jungle hammock may be better suited to your height, and certainly has its fans on this forum.

Hope this helps.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    well that is good to know. I thought with the asym design of the HH I would be able to lay flatter. That has been the only thing holding up me buying the ENO. Its cheaper and you can buy it in pieces allowing you to buy upgraded/better fitting parts such as tarps from the start. Now with the ENO do you sleep parallel to the rigging lines or perpendicular to lay the flattest?

in both the hh and the eno, you would sleep diagonal to the support lines.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    well now I have had a whole change of thought and I'm looking at the clark NA but still debating if the price is worth it

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    well now I have had a whole change of thought and I'm looking at the clark NA but still debating if the price is worth it
    I have the Clark NA. It is a complete system that is easy to set up, but as for the price - it depends a lot on how you use it, and how often. Cavediver should chime in here. Supposedly, the NX-200 will allow you to sleep a little flatter than the NA. http://junglehammock.com/news_nx200.php

I love my Clark bestest, especially as it is a complete system, but the DD is a lot cheaper and near as comfortable as my NA. I hear the Claytor is very comfy as well. And both have double bottoms to accomodate a pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast