Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images

Anyone ever put buttons on their UQ?

There have been a few times my UQ has moved on me during the night, and you find a portion of your body being exposed because the UQ is no longer covering that part of you. I'm thinking of positioning my UQ to its best placed position and sewing buttons on each corner of my UQ and sewing shockcord loops on to my hammock. The shock cord would secure the buttons, but not too tighly, there by giving slight movement but also restricting the UQ's movement for total slippage. (I don't plan on removing the shockcords from the channels, nor the foot and head drawcords). The buttons would only supplement them. I saw Dutch's quilt clips which I did like, but I believe the buttons would not allow for any sliding lateral movement at all.
    Any thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Actually, that might be a fun thing to test out. I wonder if a person did this right, that you could have removable integrated uqs. Basically, you line them up and snap them together. So, depending on the season will determine the uq. Hmmm...

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    If i remember, at the 2011 michigan winter hang there was a speer underquilt that had velcro along the sides. I think tzbrown was using it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    You'll prob have to run shockcord from the ridgeline or from side tieouts. I'm afriad without a firm anchor the result would be less than desirable. I've seen it done with grossgrain loops, shockcord, & mitten hooks. If you anchor well, and make sure that button is very well secured, maybe even backed with a small scrap of 1.9oz nylon. You wouldn't want the button to tear through your down quilt's shell and expose the goosey goodness.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    I've used small 1/2" plastic adjustable buckle snaps with 1/2" flat elastic banding to connect to the ends of my UQ to help keep it in place. Elastic is sewen to the UQ and at side ends of the hammock; still use shockcord and mittenhooks to streach shockcord to hook on to triangle thingey's built in as part of the bug netting.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    You could sew the buttons to the four corners of your hammock, and then just sew loops on the edges of your UQ... I'll have to look into how that might work.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    You could sew the buttons to the four corners of your hammock, and then just sew loops on the edges of your UQ... I'll have to look into how that might work.

I started to use the four corner button idea, but after playing with it a bit, I realized that I only needed two fasteners in the middle of each side of the UQ! The solution essentially is to give stability to the middle portion of the UQ, I don't think the shockcord running through the channels are providing enough of it. Rather than using buttons I used 2 plastic mitten hooks (1 on each side of the UQ). I then got into the hammock and marked the locations of where the UQ finally rests on either side. Using folded over grosgrain, I attached the mitten hook through the eye in such a way that it's capable of sliding a few inches horizontally (giving it some additional slack). I then sewed a reinforced grosgrain loop on to my hammock.

Last edited by uncle_ray_ray; 02-06-2012 at 23:26. Reason: added images

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Actually, that might be a fun thing to test out. I wonder if a person did this right, that you could have removable integrated uqs. Basically, you line them up and snap them together. So, depending on the season will determine the uq. Hmmm...

Fronkey
    As an aside, when I built my first UQ and TQ, I sandwiched a sheet of Climashield 6.0 as an insert in between two layers of IX holding it down with velcro. I made a container for the Climashield using tulle fabric; so when the weather warms up, I simply take the Climashield insert out and the (2) IXlayers are perfect for warmer weather. I did this for both for my TQ and UQ.

Images
    A JRB quilt on a JRB Bridge does not have buttons, but it might as well have. The hammock loops are obviously custom placed for the JRB quilts, and with the suggested attachment method, the elastic shock cord does not participate as far as I can tell. You put the hammock loops through the UQ loops. Then the suspension biners attach to the hammock loops, and NOT the UQ! At that point, the MWUQ is hanging just the right distance below the hammock so that after you lay down, you sink just the exact right amount into the UQ for a snug fit. After you get in, there is no additional stretch on the shock cord compared to before you get in. Use the same quilts with a non JRB non bridge, and you are back to using the shock cord and it's stretch capabilities.

Though I have never bothered, it seems to me I don't even need the shock cord with the JRB bridge/MW combo. I could just use the biners or some kind of toggle to keep the UQ loops from pulling back out of the hammock loops.

Pretty much like a button would work. That sucker never moves even a millimeter. But you would want to make sure the fit- after getting in- was precise. Like AaronAlso said, you wouldn't want to rip your down UQ or hammock.

• + New Posts