Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Pappa Smurf special
    Hey guys, I never meant to cause such an up roar in this forum. I'm a quiet guy, I dont cause trouble. I've always worked hard for everything I've got, and I intend to work hard to support my new hammock addiction. But one thing i have learned over the first few days of being a part of this forum is that the hardcore hammock hangers are always lookin to upgrade their gear, and that means a lot of hangers have a lot of old gear they dont use any more. I posted the original post here in the want to buy forum because I want to buy some gear. I was only trying to inject a little humor by adding that I'm broke. as I posted before I'm not looking for a hand out, just a heads up on some entry level gear to get started that's being sold at a great price. and I really just needed some advice on where to look and what to buy and being so new to the wild world of hammocks I dont know a lot about what the difference is between a good price and a great price. It's true that i dont have a lot of money to spend but I'm willing to wait if the prices are too high but don't want to miss a great deal when it comes along. I hope this clears up things. the last thing I want to do is be insulting or make enemies. the reason i joined this forum was to make friends to hang in woods with.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Bubba you have nothing to apologize for or worry about. If someone gets their feelings hurt because you asked for direction they can go kick rocks. You clarified in the thread you weren't looking for a hand out. I'm glad you have a great hammock coming your way and are off to a great start. Keep it up and hope to see you at a group hang one day.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    This sums up so much. Well said, SilvrSufr.

I'd add to this eloquent response that you can BUY some hammock gear at decent prices and enter the game a bit at a time... a hammock can be had for $20 or less. A little rope from Walmart can start you off hanging. Buy, don't beg. Start small. Build up. We're all broke. We're all looking for deals. We're all trying to do more with less. Shop ebay. Check out the cottage vendors on this site. You'll find good folks with fair prices. Just don't beg. It's unbecoming at best and insulting to some at worst.
    The hammocks on your site seem to be rather affordable, perhaps it would have been more constructive to point him there via thread or PM instead of calling him out?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Bubba Shmubba, you've been, what they call here on the forum, PIF'd. I know it sounds kinda wierd but it's a good thing and if you do a bit of reading about PIF, you'll understand. I wouldn't speak for Papa Smurf, but I would imagine he's nurturing a spirit of PIF in you through his generosity. I wouldn't take too much from some of the critisism, it's just stuff like our dads would say, comes across kinda rough but it's well intended.

Enjoy,

David

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Bubba Shmubba, you've been, what they call here on the forum, PIF'd. I know it sounds kinda wierd but it's a good thing and if you do a bit of reading about PIF, you'll understand. I wouldn't speak for Papa Smurf, but I would imagine he's nurturing a spirit of PIF in you through his generosity. I wouldn't take too much from some of the critisism, it's just stuff like our dads would say, comes across kinda rough but it's well intended.

Enjoy,

David
    Didn't mean to be rough. I read the clarification and I accept it. I wasn't trying to scold as much as recommend. Bannerstone's correct about the intention of the posts. Sorry if it was mean. That was not the point.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    DIY/Down&ENO Vulca
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    WoW!! Thanks and hats-off to Papa Smurf for that and many thanks for all the help for my ol bud bubba. I know he's very thankful. Me and ol bub go back aways and I will continue to let him borrow my son's gear and some of my gear till he can get his. I am the culprit that got him hooked and I have been working behind the scenes trying to find him some good deals too.

He will just have to tote the OLDER HEAVYIER stuff lol until he can upgrade.

Again thanks for making him feel at home.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Here's a new hammock...I suppose you could have "the original" for paying the cost of shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    ...Tell ya what. I'll go down to the lab and make a stuff sack, a set of tree straps and throw a pair of cinch buckles on this one.

You just leave the wife's money alone. That's way too risky.
    Send me your address and I'll get it out to you.
    You're a real can of corn, Papa Smurf!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Pappa Smurf special
    I got a pm from shane waits..and tried to reply but I'm pretty lo tech so i deleted it before i could....Just wanted to say no worries, everything's cool, and if i catch a post you put up I might be able to pm u my addy.

Hammock
    Pappa Smurf special
    After all the grunts and drum beating in this thread, I just gotta tell you all what happened. I did my best to say I wasn't begging for gear, and I wasn't. But due to generosity of Pappa Smurf, he gave me a hammock. and i found out today I won a backpack in a drawing at Puzzle Creek Outdoor Company, and Carolina Razorback gave me a tent, a sleeping bag, and a bed mat to fill my new pack. I dont know what to say... It's unbelievable!

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    I am routinely stunned by the giving nature of this community. Bubba - welcome! PapaSmurf (Randy) - great job. That's how it should be!
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast