Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Jacks R Better Greylock Torso-length Underquilt: Initial Review

As some of you know, Jacks “R” Better announced their new torso length (52” long) underquilt “Greylock” Feb. 1 in their email newsletter. Their introductory price was $150 for the 3-season version which is rated to 15-20F. I don’t have an underquilt but had been watching the “For Sale” sub-forum for a few days when Jacks sent their newsletter.

I ordered the underquilt Feb 2 (Thursday) and it arrived today (Feb. 6, Monday). Twice I’ve ordered from Jacks and shipping was prompt both times.

The underquilt with suspension I received weighs 13oz to 13.5oz (my scales are not precise enough to get an exact weight), and the stuff sack appears to weigh about 1.5oz, so total weight is about 15oz. Workmanship seems excellent, and Jacks selected an optimal color for the outside fabric of the underquilt as you will seem from my pictures below (note how the underquilt matches my homemade hammock).

I’ve never hung an underquilt but the suspension system appears simple in design and seems to work well. (While the suspension seems simple enough, note that no installation instructions were included; instructions could be helpful for those new to underquilts and could help explain the various intalled tabs.) Temperature today in my location is 56F so I noticed an immediate benefit of the underquilt when I first tested it. I found it very easy to adjust and because I am only about 5’7”, it seems to cover me from neck to calves.

Overall I am very pleased with this product and it seems like a very good deal at the introductory price. I eagerly anticipate and hope for a bit of winter in Georgia so I can test it more fully. Unfortunately azaleas are blooming in Georgia now so that should provide some indication of the weather we’ve been having in 2012. Where’s our winter?

QUESTION 1

For those who are experienced with underquilts, I do have one question. I’ve included one image showing my legs and feet inside my hammock. Notice the black shock-cord of the underquilt suspension rising above my feet and hammock. Is this behavior normal for underquilts? I don’t think it will present any problems since it won’t compress my top-quilt, however, I’ve not seen other images showing underquilt suspension rising above the hammock like this. Note also this is the only area where the suspension behaves in this manner.

QUESTION 2

It seems most down-filled underquilts are made with 1.1oz ripstop nylon. Has anyone experienced any tears with this material as a result of brushing again thorny plants or twigs? I am concerned that the underquilt, given its location, may be susceptible to rips when installing or uninstalling. Obviously I should be careful to avoid this, but I wonder if perhaps a double-layered outside shell or maybe an outside shell made of Pertex would be better. I have a Golite quilt that has Pertex at the foot and face areas and this material seems rugged and is waterproof. Can anyone point me toward examples of supplemental protective layers for a torso-length underquilt? Given that this underquilt weighs only 13.5oz, I wouldn’t mind adding 2 or 3 more oz of protection, especially if this also adds waterproof protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Thanks for this awesome write up!

Question one: Totally normal! Check out Dutch Quilt Hooks for methods of modifying where your suspension runs.

Question two: I've never had a problem with my UQ ripping. I never let it touch the ground, but I'm really careful with all my down gear. Most folks get by fine without an extra layer of ripstop. However, "Weather Shields" and "Winter Socks" are sometimes used to help aiding in keeping down quilts dry.

The price is great, might pick one up for my "buddy bag" (hammock set-up for hammock-less friends to borrow).
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Just don't let the CAT play with it!

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    I have got one ordered on the way for my BMBH! Very excited to try it out. Glad you like it

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    That's a 3 season! Huge amount of loft there. I like the look of the radial baffles compared to longitudinal baffles-I may have the nomenclature off in that though.
    If you don't want to sew anything onto your hammock/quilt remember you can also go up to the ridgeline with the UQ suspension.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    lol, yeah, I'd worry about that cat more than the thorns or branches! Nice quilt!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    That looks about like 3" loft, very much like my convertible MW3. Do you think it is 3"? The web site says 2.5" loft and 15-20F. Seems it really out to be 3" for 15F.

Incredible how quickly you got one of these!

Hammock
    GT UL, WBBB1.7sl, Taveler1.7sl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4s
    Insulation
    Yeti 3s, UGQ Top
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had to jump on this bandwagon too. I suppose I could do worse for a first UQ. The price is certainly right.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That looks about like 3" loft, very much like my convertible MW3. Do you think it is 3"? The web site says 2.5" loft and 15-20F. Seems it really out to be 3" for 15F.
    Difficult for me to measure such an item with certainty, but the loft is generous and I am sure at least 2.5 or better in spots. I think I read that Jacks overstuff their quilts by about 15% to 20% to adjust for variation in manufacturing.

I have their Sierra Stealth quilt which they rate to 40-45F and, if I recall correctly, I begin to feel chilled at about 45F and cold at 36F with that quilt (wearing just shorts and tee-shirt). Given the above I expect this underquilt to work for me to 20F or slightly below, but to be on the safe side I plan to carry my trusty volara 1/8" x 40" x 60" foam pad as a supplement when camping in cold weather.

Incredible how quickly you got one of these!
    Yes, the price, known shipping, and quality of previous purchase closed the deal for me. I did email them immediately after receiving their email newsletter to confirm in-stock status, and once they replied I ordered.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Work for a HH Cub

Hey guys, what are your thoughts? Would this work for my 5 year old on his HH Cub? Is it long enough for him?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast