Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I just got home and lightly sprayed the tarp......Leaks like a siv.

That's a good point SteveS about the second batch sort of undoing the first attempt. With that in mind, I think that I'd rather just go by a blue tarp (actually a brown & silver). I don't have the time to experiment any more. We're leaving for a conference in San Diego all next week, then the camping trip is the following weekend. Yikes! I need to be sitting in front of the thread injector not the computer.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop Nylon Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat-Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    LineLocker/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Laochri View Post
    This is great! I have been thinking of DIY'n a Harbor Freight tarp. I think I will give this a try. I will be making a Cat-Cut Hex tarp though. May be awhile but I will post pictures when I am done.
    SCRAPPED
    To do what I was planing would have cost just as much as getting 1.1 ripstop and DIY'n Sil-nylon. For now I am back on the Harbor Freight tarp idea.
    See You In The Trees
    & Keep It Hanging

http://www.youtube.com/user/Laochri?feature=watch

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Just finished water testing mine. It is slightly waterproof....

I set up a sprinkler to have drops fall on the tarp, and let it run for about 40 minutes. What I found was 2 issues.

The water "misted" into the underside when the drops hit. I understand this can be an issue with sil, but it was more than I expected.

The second issue was that when I hung the tarp to dry, I placed it OVER the ridge-line. This caused most of the sil to leach into the mason line, and now the ridge-line leaks pretty significantly. Not big drops, but a definite wetness passing through the fabric.

So, with these findings in mind I'm going to do the following:
    1. Let the tarp dry out from the water test.
    2. Cat cut, and re-hem so I can get a tight tarp for drying, and to reduce the amount of sil needed to re-treat the tarp.
    3. re-treat the tarp with a second batch.

My plan is to lay the whole tarp out flat, and do the roller method to apply the mixture. Let it set up a bit, then hang it out to dry (UNDER the ridge-line)

<sigh>

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    DIY rings/ straps
    I think for the tarp to work it all depends on the thread count of the sheet, and the ability of the solution to fill the gaps. Low TC = leaks Just my thoughts.

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltheway View Post
    I think for the tarp to work it all depends on the thread count of the sheet, and the ability of the solution to fill the gaps. Low TC = leaks Just my thoughts.
    I think you are right. I used 200 Thread, which seems pretty wide. I was just looking at some 1.1 nylon, and my guess is that the nylon is not going to absorb the sil mixture so much as hold it between the fibers. Cotton is going to draw in some of the sil, and render it useless. I've seen references to 400 Thread count working well, but perhaps my idea of waterproof, and theirs is different. I've got a down top quilt I don't want getting "misted"

I think this can work, but you need more sil than those of us who failed used.
    I still have high hopes for this project, but it's getting expensive quickly.
    At this point the only advantage I see is a no-sew tarp with decent coverage.

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    DIY rings/ straps
    This weekend as a test I am going to double the amount of sil in the mixture. Hopefully to over saturate the fibers

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double, DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Mamajamba, Noah 12
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Mine sat out in the hot sun all day today, and it was about 90 degrees here so it 's real dry now.

I did a blow through test on a couple of spots, and they all seemed to let air pass through. Not a good sign. I'll water test it in a bit, but I'm pretty sure that it's not going to hold back much water.

So c0wB0y, you going to do a second batch and re-coat the original? I'm thinking that's what I'll need to do, but I'm not sure if the mineral spirits are going to soften up and make a mess out of the sil that's already on the fabric at this point.

My only thought here is that the 60/40 cotton/poly blend absorbs way more sil than nylon. I'd start with a double batch and see how much was left over if I had it to do over again.....

From what i am thinking it is not absorbing enough if it is 60/40.

Remember cotton absorbs poly blends don't. That may be the issue, the poly blend part is NOT absorbing the silicone, try a 100% cotton sheet and see if that doesn't fix the problem

Just my :2cents:

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    So I'm curious how Noble's sheet tarp could hold ~5gallons of water, while SteveS' and mine mist and leak like crazy under the lightest of wet conditions? My sheet originally was on the heavy side as far as king size sheets go. I got it at Savers, so I had no information on thread count.

I like the idea of hanging it below the ridgeline as well. I noticed the ridgeline acted like a squeagy (sp?) when I was preparing it to dry.

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Rolled out about 3/4 of a batch of sil on one side of the tarp, let it dry and did a water test. It held back the water, and did not mist so this was a success.

I left it set up, and it rained like the dickens last night. We had a bolt of lightning hit close enough to set off an arc-fault breaker in the house. I'm glad I was not out there testing the tarp when that happened It was not completely dry under the tarp this morning, but it was close enough that I would have expected to be dry if I was hanging.

So, when re-applying the mineral spirits and sil mixture, it did not seem to "soften up" the first application, and I also tested this by pouring some ms on a bit of sil snot I pulled out of the bucket, and It did not dissolve. So that concern seems to be unfounded. You can re-apply as needed.

It did take almost twice as much mixture to get a waterproof 60/40 cotton/poly as expected. From the "how-to" video posted here, it seems to take quite a bit more than waterproofing nylon seems to, which appeared to be 1/2 batch per tarp?

With that in mind, I'm thinking about the dimensions you can get from Tableclothfactory.com and possibly do one in crinkle taffeta.....

Nice dry spot under.

Looking up through the dry side to the wet above.

Rolled out top coat of Sil darkens the fabric color even more.

Ready to roll!

Tarp
    OES Cuben 4 Season
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y_hubs View Post
    So I'm curious how Noble's sheet tarp could hold ~5gallons of water, while SteveS' and mine mist and leak like crazy under the lightest of wet conditions? My sheet originally was on the heavy side as far as king size sheets go. I got it at Savers, so I had no information on thread count.

I like the idea of hanging it below the ridgeline as well. I noticed the ridgeline acted like a squeagy (sp?) when I was preparing it to dry.
    Couple points here. Mine did hold back water. I filled it up with a cup or so in the sink, and it did not leak through. It did however mist quite a bit when I hit it with the sprinkler hose. A second rolled out treatment of sil fixed that up.

As you said, hanging the tarp under the ridgeline to dry prevents the sil from being squeegee'd out. On my first attempt, that is what caused the major leak at the ridgeline.

I tend to hang my tarps under, but even with 5" cat-cuts on this one it's hard to get it tight. I might have to hang it over. I hate doing that since it can create a drip channel right down on top of your head.

This project is a step up from the blue poly tarp, but it's no professional level hangers equipment either (which was my hope....)

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast