Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images

Life span of tree hugger/slings

Without going into to much detail lets just say on a weekend campout the 2nd night around midnight I woke up to the ground hitting me in the side of the face. The knots didn't slip, whoopies worked fine, eye loops held just fine but the webbing separated. (see picture) They had been used maybe 20 times & did not appear to be worn or weak but man what a wake up call. These are poly & not nylon my buddy thinks it might be dry rot but cant tell for sure. I used the longer of the two pieces for the rest of the night & stayed up so not sure. Just wondering if you should change these out yearly or what not even though they don't appear to be damaged?
    My friends after they found out I was ok had a great laugh about it & I have to admit it was pretty hilarious even though my ear still hurts. There was a machete nearby but they swear they had nothing to do with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    Glad you are okay. That is an interesting question that I too will look forward to hearing an answer on.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Mice? Food scent to attract them? They'll chew up anything fuzzy for nesting material.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Hmmmm ... this is a good question i don't think there is a answer too many variables to factor in...
    the set i have now are over 2 years old and have 70+ nights on them... some on trees some on my stand outside there is some spots on them that are showing wear but so far there holding up... i made mine from the webbing suspension that came with my WBBB
    but i always make sure they don't rub against anything but i'm sure they will fail at some point.... just hope i'm not in it LOL
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've been using some straps for a few years with no problems. It's hard to tell by the photos, and not seeing them, I'd hesitate to offer a cause. I've seen several types of poly straps over the years, some from cottage manufacturers, others DIY from fabrics stores. I can say that not all are equal in terms of thickness and "robustness." I was happy with the straps I received from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment. Strapworks is also highly recommended.

I know I'll be laughed at for saying this, but I made some DIY straps from some polyethylene I purchased from WalMart. They were actually really good straps and are still good after 2+ years.

I recently purchased a TON of webbing from Randy / Papa Smurf that he sourced, I believe, from an Amish community. That stuff is awesome. Ask Randy about it; I'm sure he can get you some.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    They did or do have some spots areas that are shiny where they have been against the loop I suppose. That is another thing I usually just run them through the loop & don't use any hardware other than a wooden toggle. They are 1" and I use Shug's advice on the knot & not on the toggle. These probably have a lot more use than 20 now that I think about it as I use them when hunting, fishing, napping & what not but probably only 20 times through the night.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    No tellin, just get some more and don't be scared. Crap happens when you're campin. I've never had a perfect trip. Somethin always screws up. I have since learned to always carry a complete extra set of tree straps. I find woopiesling.com's camo straps to be the lightest for backup carrying.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Yeah no worries I used what was left bounced on it a couple of times it held so climbed back in. I've retired that set and have a brand new set from Tree to Tree Trail Gear.
    I still haven't ruled out the possible idea of SABOTAGE!!! LOL but they swear they are innocent. Shoot we were in Apalachicola in a primitive camp area it could have been a rouge squirrel or raccoon for that matter. I tell ya what I was sound asleep & did not have the fogyish idea I was falling till BAM! Just glad I was on my side & not back sleeping at the time as I'm sure that would have knocked the wind right out of me. I'm ok and man did we laugh about it the next day.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When airborne it is always good to inspect and suspect. I have hit the ground with line breaking on me.. One of the few curses of hanging.....plopping on the terra-firma.
    Did it tear at the tree or at the marlin-spike area?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbajg View Post
    Yeah no worries I used what was left bounced on it a couple of times it held so climbed back in. I've retired that set and have a brand new set from Tree to Tree Trail Gear.
    I still haven't ruled out the possible idea of SABOTAGE!!! LOL but they swear they are innocent. Shoot we were in Apalachicola in a primitive camp area it could have been a rouge squirrel or raccoon for that matter. I tell ya what I was sound asleep & did not have the fogyish idea I was falling till BAM! Just glad I was on my side & not back sleeping at the time as I'm sure that would have knocked the wind right out of me. I'm ok and man did we laugh about it the next day.
    I'm very glad your O.K. and instantly thought of friends all standing over you while you slept trying to figure what to do.
    I hope that wasn't the case. As a fellow prankster, I wouldn't do that to others though.
    Also remember the rule. Hang as high as your willing to fall.
    My sling, on head side, slipped past my whipping a few weeks ago. That was a little scary with a loud pop, but I went straight down without tipping towards my head. Glad your doing well.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast