Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    When airborne it is always good to inspect and suspect. I have hit the ground with line breaking on me.. One of the few curses of hanging.....plopping on the terra-firma.
    Did it tear at the tree or at the marlin-spike area?
    Shug
    Niether one Shug it actually separated between the tree & toggle there was probably 2ft between them. I've used these alot on my porch with a 4x4 post & I feel the square edges just weekend the material over time even though I would wrap them several times to try and even out the load.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by kbajg View Post
    Yeah no worries I used what was left bounced on it a couple of times it held so climbed back in.
    I am no mechanical engineer, but I think you hit right on what I was going to say. Bouncing on straps might not be the best of ideas. I know you mean you just 'tested' them, but I caught my daughter last week treating one of my enos like a trampoline. I have a significant weight advantage on her, so I am sure if it had been me, those straps would have been toast. I am just suggesting that this kind of stress adds to the wear and tear also.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    For failure modes: These appear to have "broken", "burst", "torn", or "sheared", definitely not "separated."

An experienced tech or engineer might be able to read that a tear originated from some identifiable worn or broken points. That is very often true for broken metal parts. I hope one of them will volunteer here to inspect these. So, don't throw away the broken sections.

Number of uses of straps loaded well below the breaking strenght should be in the hundreds-- as in 'days of several years". If it were otherwise, lots of strapped-down cargo would be reported flying from trucks every day into the paths of other trucks and passenger vehicles.

You may very well have repeatedly broken or weakened fibers on the corners of 4x4 post, softening up the strap for an eventual bursting failure. Best way to reduce stress from that source in the future would be by radiusing the corners of the posts, or pre-wrapping the post with a padding layer.

But, there's a lot of crap out there in the market, like plastic cable ties weaker than the lightest fishing lines.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images

i bet your culprit is the use of straps on 4X4 posts. I tried to hang some at my sister in laws. They have a new house with a new fence. The posts edges were sharp and I saw some fraying in just a few minutes of hanging. I ended up taking it down and and trying to figure out what do at my house to protect the straps. I am thinking garden piece to protect the strap.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I know this isn't the best thing to do but I leave my tree straps up in my yard all the time (no damage to the tree in over two year). I can just hook my whoops up and I'm in relax mode. They have been exposed to UV, heat, freezing temps, rain, snow and my fat ars. NO problems yet but now you got me a little nervous. I'm more worried about the stitching I did for the loops than the webbing.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    The Ebay Seller I got my polypro webbing from has this in their descriptions:
    "Some rolls may contain factory splices. If you need a continuous roll let us know"

Splices are typically stronger than regular rope/strap/cable, but only if done correctly.

Maybe you got a factory splice with the machne operator hung-over on a Monday AM?

If in doubt, go with this next time :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Yards-3-H...item519d1b9260

2100 lbs tensile strength
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo View Post
    Crap happens when you're campin.
    Ain't that the truth!!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. -Abraham Lincoln

http://youtu.be/v_UhM4sMzYI

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3 tarp
    Insulation
    Gossammer Gear CCF
    Suspension
    SB Poly-Whoopies
    Glad you are OK.

I'm new to this and should "hang" for the first time in the next month.

Before ordering my tree straps I was confused about Polypropylene vs Polyester. I read somewhere that Polypropylene is more susceptible to abrasion damage than polyester, so I went with polyester.

I read the thread of few times and didn't see you specify which poly these straps were.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
    Glad you are OK.

I'm new to this and should "hang" for the first time in the next month.

Before ordering my tree straps I was confused about Polypropylene vs Polyester. I read somewhere that Polypropylene is more susceptible to abrasion damage than polyester, so I went with polyester.

I read the thread of few times and didn't see you specify which poly these straps were.
    I believe you are correct that polyester has better charateristcs than polypropylene material. I did not want to specify the manufacture I purchased my staps from the first time because I did not feel it was there fault in any way just normal wear & tear. Like Shug said earlier & I will paraphrase here "When in doubt change it out". To answer your question my new ones are polyester according to the manufacture and I'm actually not 100% sure of what the first set was. This new set is from a different vendor I only bought a different set cause I wanted some additional rings as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12