Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

DIY: Ergo/swissgearlabs hammock

I would like to mention first that this wasn't my idea, I'm just attempting to imitate innovative thinkers. As you notice the hammock is rotated 90 degrees so you're head and feet aren't pointing towards the trees your attached to. I got interested in this type of hammock because I'm a bridge hammock guy and this seemed to give me the comfort without the use of spreader bars.

I also prefer pads to the various forms of UQ. This hammock seems best when used with a pad, but not just any pads. As you can see the pad I have in the hammock curves and doesn't lay flat. This is because its a close cell pad. Where the hammock is laying flat is where I've placed my smaller thermarest air pad.

Body of the hammock:

-Its made from 1.1 ripstop folded over so the pad has a secure place.
    -The rope sides are 550. I had access to tons of the stuff for free. If I like this type of hammock I'll replace it with zing it or something similar.
    -The rope is tensioned to itself using prusik knots. The prusik are made from amsteel.

Review:

My frist attempts have stunk thus far because: 1. I've used the wrong pad. 2. getting the rope to the right lengths has been very difficult. 3. some of the prusik knots have slipped on the 550 cord.

I think know why Exped turned their hammock 45 degrees. It does feel a little weird getting in and laying down in the hammock. Once you settle in its not that big of a deal but I imagine that if its turned that much it probably removes some of the weirdness.

The few good moments:

Not all has been a waste. The few moments I got some things right I felt like I was in a bed. I know that once I get this thing right It will be as simple to put up like a gathered end and at the same time give me the comfort of a bridge.

If anyone has any advice on the length of the ropes or how to find the right lengths I'm all ears. Any suggestions or wisdom of any kind to make this hammock better please share.

IMG_3583 by pappy2012, on Flickr

IMG_3586 by pappy2012, on Flickr

Sewing the ripstop:
    1. laid the fabric on the ground. Placed the pad in the fabric. flipped the remaining fabric over pad and tucked the cut edges between the layers. This also created tucking spots for the pad.
    2. pinned the ends and sewed the edges together.
    3. sewed a channel for the pad. I found where the center of the pad meets the middle of the ripstop and then marked and sewed where the long edges were.
    4. I made a 1 inch rolled hem on hammock edge. I had three rows of stitching to make sure it was a sturdy hem.
    5. Attached webbing every ten inches to attach my rope.
    Last edited by Paprika bohlmann; 02-07-2012 at 11:53.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Here is a link to a post I did that has videos for both the ergo and the one by swissgearlabs. The swiss gear labs guy is another DIY hammock that inspired me to try it out myself.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=46288

Hammock
    DIY Single layer
    Tarp
    Nyl Shwr Crtn Linr
    Insulation
    DIY Down 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Cams
    Images
    Very Cool! The only input I have so far is " 550 cord stretches."
    Hope that helps and good luck!

Optimus

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    I know 550 stretches but my brother has over 1300 feet of the stuff sitting around and it was free!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    I've already improved the hammock. As I was sitting in class I thought maybe if I added a ridge line it would help make it easier to work with. Once break was called I ran out and added it. What a difference! Once class is over I'll go out again and fix the ropes to see if I can get them just right. I love this stuff!

IMG_3588 by pappy2012, on Flickr
    Last edited by Paprika bohlmann; 02-07-2012 at 00:22.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Neat project.

Any thoughts to how you'll tarp it?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Well done! On hammocks with many adjustable strings, you can use tautline hitches while experimenting. Don't replace your prussics on this hammock, but when you build your next one, tautline hitches are quicker. I eventually switched to dacron kite line, 150 lb. test at least, with small whoopie slings for adjustment. Some dacron lines are too slippery for tautlines. (For prussics, usually the prussic loop is a smaller diameter cord than the one being adjusted. Amsteel is a bit big for prussics on 550, but if they work....)

Your structural ridgeline will function as a tarp ridgeline, too. I turned my 9" x 11' tarp sideways - it's just barely long enough. For low cost prototypes, a tarp made with 4 mil poly and Gorilla Tape would keep you dry in the woods.

I applaud your investigative spirit - using materials on hand whenever possible can preserve sanity and lessen risks to relationships with significant others.

Hammock
    TW Camo Hornet Super XL
    Tarp
    "DIY" Frankentarp
    Insulation
    Exped DM 7 LW
    Suspension
    Webbing
    So, what happened with this project? Did the 550 turn out to be a PITA?
    Really interesting concept, something I might end up trying myself when my sewing-skills catch up with my imagination, and I truly hope you've been too busy hanging to update this thread

Cheers / Mix

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    Great looking hammock. But as always you guys and your ideas get my head spinning. So, what about turning a bridge hammock 90*(spreader bars on the long sides) to minimize the multiple lines in the rigging above.

Didn't see how old the original posts were.
    Last edited by Burning_Daylight; 06-11-2012 at 18:47. Reason: added comment.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I suspect you would break your trekking poles----instead of an axial load like a bridge hammock, you will be putting a side load on them. Cool idea though!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast