Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    The underpad can be a bit bulky, but I have taken to rolling it up tight in an aftermarket silnylon bag for protection and strapping on the outside of my pack for transport. This has proven to not be a problem. It is remarkably resiliant.
    Exactly, Javaman. I use a Sea-to-summit 8L bag and it fits the UC perfectly, fits the pad straps on my pack, and is bombproof and completely watertight.

We've both arrived at the same place.

--Kurt

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Interesting winter camping alternative to HH

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    what I consider the most comfortable/convenient pad approach: My Claytor No Net ( which in addition also works best with my PeaPod). ...snip... think it would handle any water related mishaps well, though not as well as a ccf pad in the Claytor.
    Why the Claytor No Net, instead of a Speer? The Claytor site isn't real clear on the design of the No Net. Is it because of the double bottom for a pad, so you can use both pad and peapod at very low temps?

I've been scratching my head a bit about what to do for winter camping, as my HH bugnet is useless in the snow and the bottom entry becomes more pain than its worth in that scenario. The price of the No Net is clearly attractive - at $40 with shipping its much cheaper than a Speer kit w/o tarp! Does it come with webbing straps?

--Kurt

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Why the Claytor No Net, instead of a Speer? The Claytor site isn't real clear on the design of the No Net. Is it because of the double bottom for a pad, so you can use both pad and peapod at very low temps?

--Kurt
    It is primarily because, just as Neo always tried to tell us, it is so darn easy to use a pad with the Claytor double bottom hammock, with or without the PeaPod or an UQ. The pad just simply stays where you put it, and I am basically not even aware that the pad is under my back except for the warmth. But I can't say for sure that I wouldn't notice it after 8 hours or more. The most I have laid on a pad is about 2 or 3 hours. I am aware of the pad more at the feet because of the hammocks rise in the center tends to interfere with the pad, more or less depending on a diagonal vs midline lay. But it is still quite workable. Bottom line, a pad works great with the Claytor, and I'm sure it would also work great with the JRB.

I've been scratching my head a bit about what to do for winter camping, as my HH bugnet is useless in the snow and the bottom entry becomes more pain than its worth in that scenario. The price of the No Net is clearly attractive - at $40 with shipping its much cheaper than a Speer kit w/o tarp! Does it come with webbing straps?
    It comes with webbing, but most people here don't like them. But most folks here change their webbing anyway on other brands. Right now I am using my stock webbing on one end and my cinch buckle on the other. You will have to put a knot in the webbing and/or add some drip lines to keep water from wicking into your hammock.

Most of us don't want to bother with mos. nets in winter, but the HH webbing can definitely add a few degrees warmth and wind resistance on top. Plus, at least one guy has posted that he is very pleased with the "top cover?" part of the SS ( I don't have this), saying that it REALLY increases warmth, especially when it is windy.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Great minds think alike!!

Check out 2 Questions gallery for photos of his bug net zipper mod and homemade pad setup. The bugnet mod makes the HH a toploader and eliminates issues around entering through the bottom with SS, underpad and emergency blanket in place. Worth the $50 all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    Exactly, Javaman. I use a Sea-to-summit 8L bag and it fits the UC perfectly, fits the pad straps on my pack, and is bombproof and completely watertight.

We've both arrived at the same place.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I tried the supershelter quite a bit and had pretty good success with it down to about mid 40's. Below that, I started to have troubles and BillyBob was really generous in trying to help me debug my setup.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2037

I have gone the underquilt route and I have had more luck getting down to colder temperatures, but I've still managed to get cold spots here and there.

At the moment, I prefer quilts but I've discovered that my technique is more of a limit than the equipment. I never tried the space blanket even though I should have. The underquilt is more expensive but it appears to be more forgiving for poor technique.

I did rip my underpad right down a seam. When I called Hennessy to ask about what had happened and how I could avoid it in the future (did I pull the suspension too tight?), Anne offered to send me a replacement free of charge. I tried to decline telling here that I was pretty sure that it was my fault and not a flaw in the workmanship and she sent it anyway. You can't beat that kind of customer service and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the supershelter for that reason alone.

If you are not going to be in weather below 45 much, the supershelter is clearly a viable option. Since you are going to be in colder weather as I was in Minnesota, it gets to be a bit trickier. I would advise the underquilt, preferably the big one. Unless you can make your own, the JRB quilts are very very nice.

FreeTheWeasel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    I tried the supershelter quite a bit and had pretty good success with it down to about mid 40's. Below that, I started to have troubles and BillyBob was really generous in trying to help me debug my setup.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2037

I have gone the underquilt route and I have had more luck getting down to colder temperatures, but I've still managed to get cold spots here and there.

At the moment, I prefer quilts but I've discovered that my technique is more of a limit than the equipment. I never tried the space blanket even though I should have.........................................

FreeTheWeasel
    Yep, IMO and the designers, that SB is a key to success below the 40s, though it appears that most people are really resistant to trying it. And even above 40, the one time I tried it without the SB, at a low in the high 40s or maybe very low 50s, was the one time- even though I was plenty warm- I had a significant problem with condensation. Maybe it was because I was in the super humid and foggy Hoh Rain Forest in the Olympic Mountains of WA. Regardless, I put the SB back on and had no more trouble with condensation. Seems a bit counterintuitive, doesn't it? It does to me, a least!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Seems a bit counterintuitive, doesn't it? It does to me, a least!
    It does seem counterintuitive... unless you have an understanding of what happens with the silnylon as the outside cover. With that silnylon, the insulation 'system' isn't breathable.

Since it isn't a breathable insulation 'system' with the silnylon, you should pick where it stops vapor so you can handle insensible perspiration issues without having excessive moisture buildup within your insulation 'system'. The best place for the vapor barrier is between the open cell foam and the bottom of the hammock. A space blanket or a sheet of plastic makes a good vapor barrier for that application.
    Youngblood AT2000

Have the SS and gave up on it, not very effective and caused condensation. Go with an underquilt. I use the JRB nest and the JRB weather shield.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Have the SS and gave up on it, not very effective and caused condensation. Go with an underquilt. I use the JRB nest and the JRB weather shield.
    Winger, just curious, did you use the space blanket?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Regarding the pad slipping. It seems to stay in position real well. Between the tie down and the sticky nature of the pad it doesn't move much if at all. My personal cold tolerance with a 40F bag using the UC/UP but no SB is ~45F. Definitely will pack a SB for warm trips just in case temps drop a little cooler than expected.

HH notes that ccf will not work with the SS Undercover. Why not? If part of a space blanket (SB) function in the system is a vapor barrier would not a ccf pad over the Underpad or a ccf alone do the same? Has anyone compared the difference between a pure vapor barrier like a sheet of plastic vs. the SB? In the unfortunate situation of having to go to ground figured a lightweight thin ccf + the UP + SB as a ground cloth would provide a bit of "comfort". But if a ccf is useless in the SS system I would probable leave the ccf home & live with the discomfort of a UP+SB as my ground pad.

I have a JRB Nest/WeatherShield combo for cooler nights. With the suspension system that the Jacks have designed getting into a HH is simple. Just slide the quilt/shield to the side, step into your hammock as normal, the whole thing snaps back into postion.
    Last edited by koaloha05; 06-22-2008 at 18:17.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast